1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Original Kermit the Frog donated to the Smithsonian

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by jeremyactor, Aug 25, 2010.

1. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

Read the article here

While the original Kermit has been on display at the Smithsonian's Museum of American History before with his Sam and Friends cronies, they have all officially now been donated to the museum by Jane Henson.

Can't wait until they're back on display for us all to enjoy!
  2. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Oh right, the original-original Sam & friends Kermit, plus some other S&F puppets.So, the Smithsonian must have 2 original Kermits now, the other being the Sesame Street Kermit that I saw there.BTW, how is the Muppet Labs attraction going in Florida? Do you know if there are any plans to release a model Muppet Labs like in the Park?
  3. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

At the American History Museum they have an Oscar the Grouch and a Sesame Street street sign on permanent display. They've had them for years - those are owned by the museum.

They have the Kermit (along with several other Muppets) in the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" - these are on loan. I know that a Kermit was on display for a while, but I believe that's the same one that's currently with the traveling exhibit.

Now they own the original collection of Sam and Friends puppets. These were previously displayed on a "on loan" basis in 2006 (before the museum closed for an extremely lengthy refurbishment).

Muppet Labs is doing just fine... though I guess I should change my signature, I haven't worked there since 2007. Still with the company, just not at Muppetvision anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by a model Muppet Labs, though.
  4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Sam and Friends and the other comercails Jim did on DVD now that would be a awesome treat Lionsgate!
  5. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Where is Oscar at the American History Museum? We went there last month and saw Kermit (not the original S&F one), but not Oscar. :confused:
  6. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News just returned from commercial with a clip of original Kermit talking to a puppet version of Chet Huntley, a famous newscaster back in the day, from "Sam & Friends" and then Brian announced the induction of the original Kermit and the other Muppets from that show into the Smithsonian. How awesome!
  7. muppet baby

muppet baby Active Member

i saw this also the report with NBC nightly news that is actually where i first heard about the orgial Kermit , being sent to Smithsonian . It was a great report i loved seeing the sam and friends clip i have heard about it all of my life and have wanted to see it for years it made my day . Btw thanks so much for showing the fox and friends clip on the first post on the thread that was a great artical and the video that was with it was great also .:)
  8. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Great news! :)

It's also cool that the article includes clips of Visual Thinking and Ole Black Magic from S&F.
  9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight.I would like to have a little scaled replica of the Muppet Labs vehicle and was just wondering if you might of heard anything if there were any plans to merchandise the attraction?
  10. zns

zns Well-Known Member

It's wonderful to know how Jim's creations are so loved by the world, that they recieve this kind of status. It's one of the best things that have happened with the Muppets this year. :):):)
  11. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I saw the Oscar and Sesame sign they had on display at the Smithsonian when I was there wow, about 8 years ago now! They had a nice photo in yesterday's AM NY newspaper of Jane Henson amongst the puppets that are being donated
  12. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

13. Gelfling Girl

Sorry if I sound obnoxious by asking this twice on the same thread, but where is this in the museum? :confused:
  14. jeremyactor

jeremyactor New Member

15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

there are some great pictures over at toughpigs.com!
  16. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

did Jane need Disney's ok to donate the old Muppet puppets? :confused: i was jw, a guy from work clipped out the news for me from a news paper too. :)
  17. Gelfling Girl

Okay, thanks. :)
  18. aaronmojo

aaronmojo Member

Does anybody know when these puppets will actually be on display? I'm going to DC in a couple weeks and will be touring the Smithsonian American History Museum.

Also, is Kermit back at the Smithsonian, or is he still out touring? Couldn't tell from the Smithsonian website.
  19. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I was in D.C. this summer and Kermit is at the museum in the hall of popular culture (which is surprisingly small). According to the museum's blog, the Sam and Friends muppets are supposed to be on display in November but you might want to call the museum and check
  20. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I went to visit the Smithsonian twice last year. I got to see the Sam and Friends exhibit.

If you don't mind the glare. Here's my pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and also of this Kermit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^This is what his note says on the bottom of him

Lastly, the note for Sam and Friends.

[​IMG]