Original Kermit the Frog donated to the Smithsonian

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Read the article here

While the original Kermit has been on display at the Smithsonian's Museum of American History before with his Sam and Friends cronies, they have all officially now been donated to the museum by Jane Henson.

Can't wait until they're back on display for us all to enjoy!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Oh right, the original-original Sam & friends Kermit, plus some other S&F puppets.So, the Smithsonian must have 2 original Kermits now, the other being the Sesame Street Kermit that I saw there.BTW, how is the Muppet Labs attraction going in Florida? Do you know if there are any plans to release a model Muppet Labs like in the Park?

jeremyactor

Reaction score
At the American History Museum they have an Oscar the Grouch and a Sesame Street street sign on permanent display. They've had them for years - those are owned by the museum.

They have the Kermit (along with several other Muppets) in the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" - these are on loan. I know that a Kermit was on display for a while, but I believe that's the same one that's currently with the traveling exhibit.

Now they own the original collection of Sam and Friends puppets. These were previously displayed on a "on loan" basis in 2006 (before the museum closed for an extremely lengthy refurbishment).

Muppet Labs is doing just fine... though I guess I should change my signature, I haven't worked there since 2007. Still with the company, just not at Muppetvision anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by a model Muppet Labs, though.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would love to see Sam and Friends and the other comercails Jim did on DVD now that would be a awesome treat Lionsgate!

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
At the American History Museum they have an Oscar the Grouch and a Sesame Street street sign on permanent display. They've had them for years - those are owned by the museum.
Where is Oscar at the American History Museum? We went there last month and saw Kermit (not the original S&F one), but not Oscar. :confused:

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News just returned from commercial with a clip of original Kermit talking to a puppet version of Chet Huntley, a famous newscaster back in the day, from "Sam & Friends" and then Brian announced the induction of the original Kermit and the other Muppets from that show into the Smithsonian. How awesome!

muppet baby

Reaction score
Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News just returned from commercial with a clip of original Kermit talking to a puppet version of Chet Huntley, a famous newscaster back in the day, from "Sam & Friends" and then Brian announced the induction of the original Kermit and the other Moppets from that show into the Smithsonian. How awesome!
i saw this also the report with NBC nightly news that is actually where i first heard about the orgial Kermit , being sent to Smithsonian . It was a great report i loved seeing the sam and friends clip i have heard about it all of my life and have wanted to see it for years it made my day . Btw thanks so much for showing the fox and friends clip on the first post on the thread that was a great artical and the video that was with it was great also .:smile:

ploobis

Reaction score
Read the article here

While the original Kermit has been on display at the Smithsonian's Museum of American History before with his Sam and Friends cronies, they have all officially now been donated to the museum by Jane Henson.

Can't wait until they're back on display for us all to enjoy!
Great news! :smile:

It's also cool that the article includes clips of Visual Thinking and Ole Black Magic from S&F.

muppetperson

Reaction score

They have the Kermit (along with several other Muppets) in the "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" - these are on loan. I know that a Kermit was on display for a while, but I believe that's the same one that's currently with the traveling exhibit.

Now they own the original collection of Sam and Friends puppets. These were previously displayed on a "on loan" basis in 2006 (before the museum closed for an extremely lengthy refurbishment).

Muppet Labs is doing just fine... though I guess I should change my signature, I haven't worked there since 2007. Still with the company, just not at Muppetvision anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by a model Muppet Labs, though.
Thanks for your insight.I would like to have a little scaled replica of the Muppet Labs vehicle and was just wondering if you might of heard anything if there were any plans to merchandise the attraction?

zns

Reaction score
It's wonderful to know how Jim's creations are so loved by the world, that they recieve this kind of status. It's one of the best things that have happened with the Muppets this year. :smile::smile::smile: