On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
---------------
I think OCs work best if they fit into the plotline...which is such an outrageously obvious point that I hang my head at having made it...but many inexperienced writers will throw in OCs based on themselves or their friends who really have no purpose to the story other than to wave and the reader: "Hi! I'm the author's best friend! Aren't I cool? Hi So-and-so!" I've tried to make any OC I throw into a Muppet fic have a good reason for being there...and many of them are Muppets themselves, Whatnots or monsters or whatever. (Writing fic means never having to say, "Build me a puppet that looks like a crocodile with a cigar! We're only using him once!")

------------
I think you can give an OC some of your characteristics if it's not obvious you are doing so. A little inside joke, so to speak. As long as your character also serves a purpose, that is.

fictionalnice

Reaction score
Very good advice, Fozzie Bear. And you do have some valid points. I hope I stay true to the characters in my own story. i tried hard to so I think I did alright. Hopefully...:eek:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite character? Take your favorite Muppet or two and go from there.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'd try to think of a situation that would bring out the personalities of those two characters. Perhaps Dr. Teeth hurts his hand and Rowlf has to become the piano player in the Electric Mayhem, something like that.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I have an idea for a one-shot fanfic (good lord, I have too many ideas) that centres around poking fun at a particular book and sexual innuendo. Does any of those go against the forum's rules?

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
I have an idea for a one-shot fanfic (good lord, I have too many ideas) that centres around poking fun at a particular book and sexual innuendo. Does any of those go against the forum's rules?
I think it would be depend on the innuendo. I think some of us throw it in, but do it in such a way that it would probably go over a kid's, but an adult would be like, "ah! I see what you did there!".

Ruahnna

Reaction score
If your thinking of the, "50's" crowd, I wouldn't go there--at least not here.

Jim was certainly not above innuendo (Frank was certainly below innuendo!!) and some of us mature folks do write more grown-up-ish stuff, and , but I would advise caution. IMNTBHO, Fanfiction.net is a better place to publish stuff if your intent is merely to titillate.