On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
1. Hard to tell. Monsters seem to have, on average, a very reduced and halting way of speaking. However, everyone from Elmo to Thog can sound alike, so it's difficult to use speech mannerisms as a clue. Size also doesn't really help. I can imagine a toddling Junior Gorg might be around Sweetum's size. Unless you see what "kid Sweetums-like monster" and "senior citizen Sweetums-like monster", you can't really gauge off of that either. Just on his interactions alone, I would be hard-pressed to consider him much younger than what for humans would be late 20's-early 30's, and that is my bare minimum. His clothes don't just get that way overnight, too.
Thanks! That's what I sort of thought, but it can be hard to tell with the nebulous category of monsters. I'm planning on writing a part in my story where Sweetums goes (back ?) to school, and I wanted to figure out the best level to stick him into. Guess he's off to college then!

Slackbot

Reaction score
A Muppet going back to college? What kind of goofburger writes a story like that? :wink:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
A Muppet going back to college? What kind of goofburger writes a story like that? :wink:
Ha ha ha! Don't worry, I won't tread on your fic-writing toes too much. I don't think Sweetums and Scooter have the same major anyway!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I don't think Sam's family were mentioned anywhere else...in fact, I've always believed that whole interaction may have been Jim and Frank improving anyway! Its just so off the cuff and hilarious. "Boy or a girl?" "Yes..."

kyunkyua

Reaction score
All right guys, I have a quick question. I'm in the middle of brainstorming for a piece with the cast of Glee as guest stars. Would wheelchair stunts seem too politically incorrect?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wheelchairs can't be an insult in and of themselves. I mean, they can, but I don't like those kind of people, LOL. The Muppets are about celebrating diversity. Hiding what makes someone stand out (so to speak) in a group does not accomplish that.

HandsomeGH

Reaction score
I'm writing a fan-fiction about Clifford and some other muppet characters. Named "Cliff-NOTES".

I'm thinking of a main cast of something like this...

1. Clifford

2. Johnny Fiama and Sal

But I get stuck on the third, fourth or so muppet.

Any ideas on some good muppets to star in this series about Clifford and Johnny trying to make it big again?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Well, you seem to be going with a "Muppets Tonight" theme, so why not some of the others who came into their own during that era -- Bobo, Pepe, etc?

-----------------

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Regarding OCs, I think another reason that they're not everyone's cup of tea is that they sometimes end up becoming Mary Sues (for those unfamiliar with that term, a quick Google search could explain it better than I could, though I think Ruahnna touched on it a bit).

At the moment, my fanfiction has three OCs: Sabrina (Zoot's cousin, who becomes engaged to Johnny), Ramona, and Ashley. With OCs, just like any other character, it's essential to keep them at least semi-realistic, believable, and imperfect.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Ok, I have no idea if you've discussed these questions I have, but along the lines of OC's, kind of reflecting on Ru's synopsis, would having the OC fall in love with a single character, and have the character love them back, OK?

And if the character realizes he needs the OC after she's gone... Is that too much?

I am lost when it comes to things like that.