Next season, please!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the new Sesame season begins around March 31 or April 7. Need to double check the dates though. The second season of Play With Me Sesame will begin around the same time as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
Hays: Only 26 new episodes were taped this year. This might mean more frustration for you, or maybe PBS will mix up older episodes with the shorter run. This remains to be seen.

Phil: Sesame finished taping season 34 in mid-December. A new block of Elmo's World segments commences taping in April.

In reply to FOZ's question, "I think I read somewhere that SS is getting a face-lift next season. Isn't that right?":

Season 34 changes include a revamped Journey To Ernie, with more focus on problem-solving and clues. Each segment is self contained, the insert material is gone, and the Two-Headed Monster appears each day.

A new segment, Global Grover, will debut, with Grover introducing clips from Sesame Workshop's international co-productions.

The self-contained street segment has been moved to the start of each episode; more effort has gone into making new clips to support the Letter of the Day and the Number of the Day; and the Spanish Word of the Day has been modified slightly.
Well, frankly... (mmmm.. franks and beans...) I think that the fact that there are less than 30 episodes this year, and it's rerun every day (sometimes 3-4 times depending on where you live) can substantually lower viewership. Personally, if they have problems with losing viewers, the solution is to MAKE MORE EPISODES! !!!! That out of the way, have they considered using older reruns, and not just the last 2 seasons (if they decide to do that?) since I am soooo bored to death witrh the same ones every day (I can only stand to see Zoe's pet rock so many times). Plus, the main main problem with the reruns is that the new material, well, they use it so many times, like 2-3 times a season, so that further pushes out an audence.

But I have to say, I am pschyed that they've decided to use clips from different Sesame Co-pros in the US version. WIll they be segments from those shows, or will they just be the same stuff dubbed in those languages? And if it is clips of the foreign shows, will they dubb them in English?

In case anyone wants to know, Plaza Sesamo uses not only clips of Sesame Street, but I have seen a few Sesame Park episodes translated as well.

I am so glad they've decided to change JTE, the only good part was the actual Ernie and Bert clips. Even though they used a heck of a lot of Ernie and Elmo or Ernie's Show and tell segments.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Originally posted by Hays
I think Matt Vogel does a terrific job as Big Bird! The voice is so close it doesn't bother me - and more importantly, I think he's got the essence of the character down.

Though, while I'm passing out accolades, I really want to thank Eric Jacobson for his renditions of Frank Oz characters. He's FANTASTIC.

Taking over a puppet from somebody has got to be one of the toughest jobs there is.
I have to agree with most of that. Since I've been listening to Muppet Central Radio, I've heard a few early Big Bird songs. Carroll's Big Bird does sound sort of like Matt's in those songs. So obviously Matt is on the right track.

I've heard Eric's Bert and Grover at the "Play With Me Sesame" website (Don't ask. I was bored when I was looking at that. Lol) and I agree his renditions of the characters are so good, you don't even know the voice has changed.

While we're on this subject, I want to bring up something else. I heard that song from "The Muppet's Celebrate Jim Henson" on Muppet Central Radio. (I forget the name of it) I thought that was interesting, because it was the first time Steve played Kermit. I've noticed his Kermit originally sounded more like the Kermit voice Frank Welker used on "Muppet Babies," and now it's really close to Henson's. You wouldn't know that voice has changed either. Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, I also think that Matt gives a goofy classic Big Bird rendition, though sometimes nsal and whineir than the original, but nothing too different.

I agree that Eric does great classic versions of Grover, Piggy, and Fozzie (listen to the Good Grief the Comedian's a Bear skit on the 25th anniversary CD) but there's something with his Bert that's a bit harsher than it should be.

I am too sick of JTE, mainly BECAUSE of it's repetitive ness. I know the new seasons a little late, but youre talking 4 or 5 times of the same one per week, and that adds up quite a bit. The Disco one and the Supermarket were quite clever, but then we have that "Hey.. let's clap... like the box did" stuff was just patronizing.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the new changes to Sesame Street for this season...whenever it starts airing. "Global Grover" sounds like it has a lot of potential....

Will the other segments, like Cookie doing Letter of the Day, Count doing number of the Day, etc. still remain? Because if so, that means we'll see Big Bird, Ernie, Count, Cookie Monster, Grover, and Elmo EVERY DAY on Sesame Street. And to me, that's pretty darn sweet. There hasn't been a classic mix like that for years; I'm hoping to see more of the classic sketches incorporated too.

I saw part of today's episode, and my wife and I were pleased with what we saw--Count, Cookie Monster....Mumford and Ernie were trying to do something to Rubber Duckie and he ended up growing to Godzillaesque size. Very nice. I had just been wondering earlier today if Mumford was around at all anymore, and there he was!

Secret Squirrel--I'm sure everyone else knows what's going down, but what's your capacity with SS ? Or if you're a secret insider that can't tell us, just make something up. I'm loving these little tidbits you're dropping us!

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

I saw part of today's episode, and my wife and I were pleased with what we saw--Count, Cookie Monster....Mumford and Ernie were trying to do something to Rubber Duckie and he ended up growing to Godzillaesque size. Very nice. I had just been wondering earlier today if Mumford was around at all anymore, and there he was!

Secret Squirrel--I'm sure everyone else knows what's going down, but what's your capacity with SS ? Or if you're a secret insider that can't tell us, just make something up. I'm loving these little tidbits you're dropping us!

Yeah, I loved seeing Mumford again. So far, he's been in two episodes (Curiously enough, both involving Rubber Duckie and a duck, maybe they were filmed in the same session. The other one featured Rubber Duckie losing his squeak) and in a letter segment. I hope that Letter/number of the day segments are still kept. those were the only real good changes this season brought. Though, I really think they should tool with the nuber segs. (though the zero one was funny. "They call me the Count because I love to Count things. That, and I inherited my father's royal title!")

And As for Secret Squirrel, I believe he and Morracco Mole have a very strict need to know basis with this stuff, or the chief could slap them off the force.

Just kidding.... I love those cartoons! I have the bobbing head!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Though, I really think they should tool with the nuber segs. (though the zero one was funny. "They call me the Count because I love to Count things. That, and I inherited my father's royal title!")
I heard that one today while I was brushing my teeth...once again, Sesame Street was on...and the boy was taking a nap.

I laughed out loud. Then I cleaned off the mirror.

Quinnnnnnnn

SillyRed

Reaction score
It's even trying to compete with Blue's Clues.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Will there be a good mix of obscure characters like Stinky the Stinkweed?