New Video: The Muppets Face One Big Problem

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Yeah, it was. Apparently, poorly executed.

I'm saying that it seems, from this trailer, at least, the spirit of the Muppets has been captured, more or less.

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
I wish I was kidding. I am hesitant to drop $9+ to see this film after what I have read about it, and watching the trailer. Perhaps I am too attached to the old show that I love so much. I will eventually see the film, yet the advance material that I have seen is just not grabbing me like I had hoped it would.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Go see it anyway, Terrence. The Muppets need all the support they can get, especially if we want them to live on and continue appearing in new projects after the film hits the theaters.

Dbailey15

Reaction score
I'm not very enthralled about the negative comments about the new 'Muppet Movie'. I've really been looking forward to it. What we need is a new tradtional series.​

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not very enthralled about the negative comments about the new 'Muppet Movie'. I've really been looking forward to it. What we need is a new tradtional series.​
A new series has absolutely no chance of happening, especially if it's the same format as the 1970's version. Roger Langridge managed to take the source material, even improve upon it for the comic book version (which I can't stop recommending and then cursing Disney for ending it prematurely)... but the variety show format is going to be lost on anyone who wasn't a fan of the original series. Plus, I've said often, there's no place for them on television in this age... even back in the 70's, the networks wouldn't touch the Muppet Show. Had it not been for syndication, we might never have had the series or the movies. We don't have that kind of vision to give a show like that a chance today. Even the Jim Henson Hour had problems on Network TV. Had JHH been syndicated like TMS was, I'm sure it would have lasted a full season.

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
I agree with Drtooth, Roger Langridge's comics were GREAT! He "got" it.

Please keep in ming folks, I WANT to LOVE this film, yet from the clips I've seen so far I just have not been "WOW I MUST SEE THAT!" yet.

I've been a Muppets fan since 1969, I am a puppeteer because I love the Muppets, I really do not wish the brand ill will. Perhaps I'm just "too old" to get today's brand of humor, and so be it. Enjoy the film, may it make Disney millions and millions. :smile:

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
A new series has absolutely no chance of happening, especially if it's the same format as the 1970's version. Roger Langridge managed to take the source material, even improve upon it for the comic book version (which I can't stop recommending and then cursing Disney for ending it prematurely)... but the variety show format is going to be lost on anyone who wasn't a fan of the original series. Plus, I've said often, there's no place for them on television in this age... even back in the 70's, the networks wouldn't touch the Muppet Show. Had it not been for syndication, we might never have had the series or the movies. We don't have that kind of vision to give a show like that a chance today. Even the Jim Henson Hour had problems on Network TV. Had JHH been syndicated like TMS was, I'm sure it would have lasted a full season.
Great point that.

"The Muppets" for all of their winking and nodding to adults, still have too much innocence in them for today's television. Now, if we could throw in a sex-charged love triangle between Piggy, Kermit, and Gonzo, and get Fozzie Bear addicted to heroine, and kill a character off in every explosion-charged season finale, THEN we could get the Muppets on modern TV.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great point that.

"The Muppets" for all of their winking and nodding to adults, still have too much innocence in them for today's television. Now, if we could throw in a sex-charged love triangle between Piggy, Kermit, and Gonzo, and get Fozzie Bear addicted to heroine, and kill a character off in every explosion-charged season finale, THEN we could get the Muppets on modern TV.
Yes, but also the fact that Variety Shows aren't relevant anymore. Anyone who tries one automatically fails. If it was more a sketch comedy thing it could work on the level of SNL or something... I'd say a retooled Muppets Tonight like show with classic characters (since we have most of them recast by now) could work... but I don't think it would work anywhere but cable. And again, Disney Channel is stuck with its demographic, ABC Family's stuck with its slightly older, but essentially the exact same demographic. If a Muppet Show were on Disney, it would be like EVERY episode would have to be Studio DC.