1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Video: Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody!

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by wembleyfraggle, Nov 24, 2009.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

My point was, given the Muppets recent exploits(Muppets.com sketches, Muppets Take Over Today, Bohemian Rhapsody, All the other Youtube videos, LTS, etc) how can people say the Muppets should be put in an archive wherehouse and Disney should just focus on The Muppet Show/classic shows?
    We've been seeing since last year time and time again that the old Muppet magic chemistry/timing/timelyness is back as ever...and Bohemian Rhapsody I feel sealed the deal.

Now ok...if there's a dedicated fan community to say, the 1980's cartoon Gummi Bears...and Disney made a short lived really horrible "updated" hip new version, ok...I can see people saying "they should stick to the old reruns".

But Jim Henson intended the Muppets to be around forever. I don't see this obsession people have with the 1970's Muppet Show era as the be all end all. I celebrate the 1950's, 60's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and soon the 2010's as much as I love the Muppet Show/Muppet Movie/Land of Gorch 70's era.

The sports analogy I understand, however time and time again
    a team is in name only. When a team has absolutely none of the players/coaching or any of the framework it had during whatever magical hey day it had...it's hard to see fans being as jazzed and it ends up being a purely city loyalty thing.
    Im in Sacramento, and nothing was more exciting to me in sports than seeing the Sacramento Kings 1999-2002 period, but now there's really no connection between that period and the modern team. Same with the modern day Bulls. A team like the Yankees is different, as they have the money to retain a big winning team
    and never ending spiritual successor/continuation to the past.
  2. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

3. Rax

Rax New Member

Cool! I hope it'll be realeased on vinyl as well.

Gr, Rax
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

How exciting! I've never seen so much Muppet news in such a small amount of time!
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've been saying this time and again for years on this board, and quite a bit recently. The only "magic" I've seen gone is the magic of strong leadership and good projects. The puppetry is as good as ever, there's a lot of passion a lot of the puppeteers share, especially the newer crew... But when it comes down to it, they've been struggling to get a foothold on the franchise since Jim died, and they've been trying so many projects to try to grasp at what could have been. The first 2 muppet movies after weren't even original stories, and the Muppets basically played second to human actors or new characters, specifically for those movies. Muppets Tonight.. again, the writers didn't know what to do with it until the show was canceled... and given the format, they didn't know if it was a talk show or a variety show with a 90's slant.

I for onr hate turning classic characters like this into old nostalgic stuff, leading everyone to say... "Oh! I loved those guys! I want to buy a t-shirt I'm gonna wear at age 20-30 something that I would have beat up a kid for wearing when I was 15." It's like those kids who blew up all their once beloved TMNT figures with cheap fireworks and now just buy the overpriced re-releases, or pay scalpers on Ebay for dented, scratched, accessory-less stuff they could find at a garage sale. I always said the Magic of the muppets never left... they just haven't had a chance to put it to good use.

And I agree on the Gummi Bears comment as well. If they managed to want to bring back something cheaply, without thought... say the Underdog movie... then by all means, keep it as reruns we've seen too many times and can recite. But if you do something constructive, creative and well thought out, say the TMNT rebirth of 03, then it deserves a shot. Sure, Charles Schulz didn't want anyone else writing his stripe or doing the specials. He may have left us with a lack of closure, but I respect the choice he made for his comic... specials, on the other hand... there has to be someone who can write a special and not just take 2 weeks worth of strips and clumsily warp them into a half hour special.
  6. Dearth

Dearth Active Member

I compared this with the list I compiled, and the only thing you seem to have left out are the five penguins. Otherwise, our lists are almost identical.

I've added them at the end of your list, in bold.

Dearth

7. Scooterthegofer

Scooterthegofer New Member

Pretty sure it's not Camilla. Note the lack of blue eyelids.
  8. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

I think you forgot 2 more chickens with Gonzo(the shadow of course being the same as the beginning of the original video with Queen)

Daniel
  9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

They're counted down on the list.
  10. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

How could I have missed the penguins? :zany: I was working in the shop while writing up the list. Man, I still can't believe I left off the penguins.
  11. jeffy

jeffy New Member

Well said Drtooth.

Roughly speaking, The Muppet Show was also finding its way until the middle of the second season. Then it took off. They never gave Muppets Tonight a chance. Granted, the first season of Muppets Tonight was no comparison to the first season of The Muppet Show, but there were sparkles of magic sprinkled all around that first and only season. Off the top of my head (haven't seen it in years)...
    ...anything and everything Bobo and Sal the Monkey and Pepe.
    ...Bobo (as commanded by Rizzo): "Those are really nice balloons you got there, can I play with them?"
    ...the amazing Prince song "strawberry jam something" in that black-and-white-and-a-tiny-bit-of-color elementary classroom set.
    ..."I'm Leo. I'm Pepe. We're two of a kind. Dah dah dah dah dah dah dah and I've got a big behind"
    ...the great theme song

Aside from first-season growing pains, and the lack of leadership and especially creative leadership.... For me the major problem was Clifford. I just feel that he was not a well rounded character, and there was no real change in him from episode one then in the final episode. Not to mention that not once did Clifford evoke any reaction from me. There is nothing particularly negative about him but he was just...there.

(I realize of course, that Clifford is the only major black character the Muppets have ever seen, and his puppeteer deserves some pretty awesome respect.)
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I LOVE Clifford. All the way back to his shining roles in Muppet Television(JHH) and Muppets @ WDW. When they announced(then "Muppets Live", later Muppets Tonight) he would be the host of the new Muppet show I was thrilled.

I wish Clash would go back do doing Clifford or make up some cool new character...but I guess the $ is too good with Elmo.

And yeah, there's only been a few "black" Muppets; the other one Rosevelt Franklin they pretty much banned.
  13. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

When it comes to Clifford, I just can't blame the character... I really like him, and I wish that he was still sitting with the Mayhem band to this day, just like he was in The Disneyworld special. I mean, this pretty much came out of a period where they were trying to use Kermit less and less, and they basically gave the gig to the hippest new character, trying to emulate late night talk shows. I guess if they had Gonzo and Rizzo host it, it would have fared a lot better...

But the thing that bugs me about MT was the fact they had all these new characters to fill out the gaps... and while there were solid characters like Johnny, Sal, VanNeuter and Pepe, we also had a bunch of celebrity parody pigs and characters like Mr. Poodlepants that were extremely flat, and even annoying to watch. Plus, I think there was too much of the pop culture parody skits, and they didn't seem as organic as the TMS regular sketches, which borrowed pop culture parodies in a different way, making them their own, We had general parodies of medical shows, sci fi and cop shows (Vets Hospital, Pigs in Space, and Bear on Patrol respectively), but since they were so general, they didn't come off as at the moment cultural mentions.

I really did like MT, but it seems that they were trying to be hip too hard.
  15. jeffy

jeffy New Member

I just wanted to clarify. I meant to say that I never felt Clifford grew as a character.
  16. jeffy

jeffy New Member

Too hip too hard. That's true.
  17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Two things about the video:

One - I LOVE Floyd's jacket.

Two - Did anyone else notice that the Swedish Chef is wearing a wedding band?
  18. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I wonder what Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson think of the video!
  19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Whoah...I LOVE a lot of the parodies.
    Codependence Day? The skit spoofing Devo and Nine Inch Nails?
    Seinfeld Babies? Heck, Kermit doing a full length cover of Talking Head's "Once in a Lifetime" is one of the most visionary things I've seen from the Muppets. Yeah, a lot of the first season is kind of so so, but later in the first and especially the Disney Channel exclusive second season is where things shine. I myself sooo am hoping we get Muppets Tonight next year in a 2 season boxset with bonus UK skits never aired in America and a gillion extras! I mean Beaker and Pepe rapping with Coolio, too classic!
  20. ToodlesTeam

ToodlesTeam Active Member

I've noticed that with the Chef a lot lately, actually. He's also wearing one in the pumpkin carving video and I think in Letters to Santa, as well. I assume, if nothing else, that means Chef's hands have a consistent performer!:hungry: