New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm going to reiterate what JVcaroll said.

There's constructive criticism, and there's being the party pooper that picks apart everything with such a negative vibe. You're not being told to shut up and praise everything. You're basically being called out on insufferable amounts of negativity, and your complete vagueness about what's so awful about this film. Not to mention throwing the old manipulative assumptions on older projects being completely different than when they're doing the same exact thing.

I'll agree with the vast majority here. Nothing in the trailers suggests this will be anything less than an enjoyable film. Anything you see wrong, while your opinion, is something we just can't agree to or relate with.

Also, these assumptions aren't really supported by the history of Muppet films. On the contrary, many of the points of criticism come from basic Muppet humor 101. The level of scrutiny here has been absurd. That's mostly what I was pointing at.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This again, guys? I'm sorry but people don't give off negative vibes or ruin an experience for you. That is entirely your responsibility if something is ruined for you or not. If you think someone is being negative, move on and ignore them. You guys could have continued being positive a few posts ago but instead you're complaining about another user. Sheesh, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, these assumptions aren't really supported by the history of Muppet films. On the contrary, many of the points of criticism come from basic Muppet humor 101. The level of scrutiny here has been absurd. That's mostly what I was pointing at.

You know what criticism of the last film I loved? When certain people complained that something that was exclusive to the show that was never in any way shape or form in any theatrical Muppet project wasn't in this film either. Usually a sketch or something. And TM had more Muppet Show in it than any of the previous theatrical excursions. The whole "Why didn't they do this in the movie" when they never did that in a movie just bamboozles me.

I'll agree to the fact there's some subtlety and delicacy that can't be reproduced, as it was very close to the original Muppet forces that are long gone. But frankly, those were missing from precious films and projects as well. But the Stoller/Bobin team are trying their darndest to keep the best of everything they can with the Muppets present. In a world of cheap cash grab/in name only adaptions... that's huge. It took the Smurfs movies 2 movies and 2 TV specials to even get Brainy right. And that's a sadly better example. The Muppets didn't turn into yet another Chipmunks clone, and it stood out as a faithful, loving reboot as a result. This one looks like a big step forward.

I mean, I am kinda sick of seeing favorite cartoons get sloppy adaptions that are often in name only scripts rushed out before the options expire. We didn't get that here. I don't see why that's not celebrated.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You know what criticism of the last film I loved? When certain people complained that something that was exclusive to the show that was never in any way shape or form in any theatrical Muppet project wasn't in this film either. Usually a sketch or something. And TM had more Muppet Show in it than any of the previous theatrical excursions. The whole "Why didn't they do this in the movie" when they never did that in a movie just bamboozles me.

I'll agree to the fact there's some subtlety and delicacy that can't be reproduced, as it was very close to the original Muppet forces that are long gone. But frankly, those were missing from precious films and projects as well. But the Stoller/Bobin team are trying their darndest to keep the best of everything they can with the Muppets present. In a world of cheap cash grab/in name only adaptions... that's huge. It took the Smurfs movies 2 movies and 2 TV specials to even get Brainy right. And that's a sadly better example. The Muppets didn't turn into yet another Chipmunks clone, and it stood out as a faithful, loving reboot as a result. This one looks like a big step forward.

I mean, I am kinda sick of seeing favorite cartoons get sloppy adaptions that are often in name only scripts rushed out before the options expire. We didn't get that here. I don't see why that's not celebrated.

I like Kermit's response in a recent interview. When asked if there would be a lot of Muppet Show moments folded into the film, he replied that they're focused on moving forward. The last film honored the past and this one is all about the future. They can do both, of course, but nobody wants a retread.

Also, for those who felt that this was going to be like GMC, I see no significant resemblance to it from the ads. It's all just weird nitpicking. I guess that's what we fans do. I'm critical of some of the rebuilds over the years (ie Gonzo, Piggy, Animal and Fozzie) but at the heart, the Muppets are about their humor. I see it in spades here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, for those who felt that this was going to be like GMC, I see no significant resemblance to it from the ads. It's all just weird nitpicking. I guess that's what we fans do. I'm critical of some of the rebuilds over the years (ie Gonzo, Piggy, Animal and Fozzie) but at the heart, the Muppets are about their humor. I see it in spades here.
I tend to think of it as a spiritual successor if anything. Not remotely similar not really having parallels (as of yet) other than being an international adventure.

It's complaints like "Ew! They're singing a song I don't like." and "YECCH! They're with a celebrity I don't much care for" that are the most misguided. I mean, the episode of The Muppet Show with Liberace exists. Anyone can say what they will about the hastily cobbled Lady Gaga/Muppets special, but Liberace came to the Muppet show, took it over, and made it one of the worst episodes ever. As for singing... well, they released the Beach Party album, and I'm going to agree with ToughPigs on it. It was pretty pointless, and the "Muppety content" was the not too funny commentary every verse of song.

Suffice to say, it seems with every new project, some keep forgetting that they worked with crummy celebrities and sang some pretty dumb songs before. Honestly, I don't care much for the song Moves like Jagger, but I'm not holding that against them. If anything, they improved it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I tend to think of it as a spiritual successor if anything. Not remotely similar not really having parallels (as of yet) other than being an international adventure.

It's complaints like "Ew! They're singing a song I don't like." and "YECCH! They're with a celebrity I don't much care for" that are the most misguided. I mean, the episode of The Muppet Show with Liberace exists. Anyone can say what they will about the hastily cobbled Lady Gaga/Muppets special, but Liberace came to the Muppet show, took it over, and made it one of the worst episodes ever. As for singing... well, they released the Beach Party album, and I'm going to agree with ToughPigs on it. It was pretty pointless, and the "Muppety content" was the not too funny commentary every verse of song.

Suffice to say, it seems with every new project, some keep forgetting that they worked with crummy celebrities and sang some pretty dumb songs before. Honestly, I don't care much for the song Moves like Jagger, but I'm not holding that against them. If anything, they improved it.

Some fans seem to think that Scooter's Moves Like Jagger bit is somehow a full musical number rather than a short comedic bit that's slightly longer than what's featured in the preview.

I'm not certain about this, but their appears to be a half-dozen or so musical numbers. Here are the ones that I've noticed from the previews.
  • The Muppet gang singing something in their sparkly tuxedos.
  • Miss Piggy's musical number
  • The Gulag musical number
  • Gervais & Constantine musical number
Also, the movie has no reported running length. That indicates that they're still cutting it together.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Some fans seem to think that Scooter's Moves Like Jagger bit is somehow a full musical number rather than a short comedic bit that's slightly longer than what's featured in the preview.

I'm not certain about this, but their appears to be a half-dozen or so musical numbers. Here are the ones that I've noticed from the previews.
  • The Muppet gang singing something in their sparkly tuxedos.
  • Miss Piggy's musical number
  • The Gulag musical number
  • Gervais & Constantine musical number
Also, the movie has no reported running length. That indicates that they're still cutting it together.

The Gulag one is called "The Big House"

Also this photo appeared on the wiki today.....

I dont know where this photo came from if there is a new trailer or something but i was just curious if anyone knows.. its Til Schweiger

Status
Not open for further replies.