New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

KatieMokey

Reaction score
She is adorable, I think.. what a cute idea, too. Sesame has to stay revolutionary and set the standard as always, and I love how they're targeting little "Princess" girls with this one. Would it not be so fun to be in the room designing a character like this? :smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah... she is v.v. cute. it's not really typical of me to like twee, adorable little characters. But Abby looks so sweet. But I hope thet don't get rid of Zoe or Prairie dawn, they're like, two of my faves.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Get this...

We all know that Abby's presense on Sesame Street has been a little disappointing, especially after all the publicity she got for a new character. You know what my Mother thinks? She's SO convince that Kevin Clash complained that she might end up taking up "Elmo's spotlight". Now does that sound like something Kevin Clash would do? I mean after all, he IS a talent scout for them as well!

BEAR

Reaction score
Kiki said:
Yeah... she is v.v. cute. it's not really typical of me to like twee, adorable little characters. But Abby looks so sweet. But I hope thet don't get rid of Zoe or Prairie dawn, they're like, two of my faves.

They can't get rid of those two characters. Besides, who would Fran Brill perform then? They are her only 2 principles. Prairie Dawn has been with Fran since the 70s. Both girls are too important to the series. I don't think we need to worry about that.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Get this...

We all know that Abby's presense on Sesame Street has been a little disappointing, especially after all the publicity she got for a new character. You know what my Mother thinks? She's SO convince that Kevin Clash complained that she might end up taking up "Elmo's spotlight". Now does that sound like something Kevin Clash would do? I mean after all, he IS a talent scout for them as well!
Your right, and it's not like he hasn't worked with her before. She is Lesly is a Brillent talent to take on such a major role. But I think they are doing this character right in ensureing that she stay's for years to come. It seems sort of like a slow building process for her. and Elmo is not taking up as much space as he used too.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
and Elmo is not taking up as much space as he used too.
What a horrifying sentence. The thought that he once got MORE screen time than he's gotten this season. . . . >shudder< :wink:

exelis

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds it sad that they spent tens of thousands of dollars researching this character (who is pretty boring so far, not that they used her in that many episodes this season, despite the fanfare)?

Jim Henson created the muppets from his heart, and ran with them. I know that it's difficult to even come close to the genius that Jim embodied, but come on. That much research pretty much ensures a dull, lifeless, overly-PC, underimagined character.

My 2 year old's favorite character, hands down? Ernie. Followed closely by Cookie, Count, Grover and then Elmo. He sees both modern Sesame and the old, real genius from clips online. He's pretty much walked out of the room for the Abby episodes.

I'm not bashing the Elmo wave, either. Kevin Clash has done great keeping Sesame alive after Jim's passing and Frank naturally progressing to other creative outlets. Elmo may not be everyone's cup of tea (though I think a big part of that is his sudden overexposure and continued singular prominence), but at least Kevin picked up the muppet and made it his own, without surveys, field testing, social agenda or even a penny more than his salary. I confess that he isn't my favorite muppet, either, but I respect the work that Kevin has done and how he has touched children's minds and hearts.

Sesame Street might need a few new residents, but they're going to have to come of their own freewill, and not be committeed into existence.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
exelis said:
My 2 year old's favorite character, hands down? Ernie. Followed closely by Cookie, Count, Grover and then Elmo. He sees both modern Sesame and the old, real genius from clips online. He's pretty much walked out of the room for the Abby episodes.
That's great to hear. I mean, everyone's entitled to like Elmo and the new characters. But there is an unfortunate tendency to imply that they are better for today's children than the old characters, which I disagree with.