New movies coming out...

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Enchanted--from the trailers, it looks very cute. And cute isn't something I take lightly. Especially good cute. I just hope the whole movie holds together as well as the trailers.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I really like the idea of focusing on the really interesting Robert Ford character, who Casey Afflect apparently plays as incredibly unlikeable in a subtle, realistic kind of way.

And I personally loved Land, and only liked the Dawn remake, but I'm a Romero-zealot, so my opinion is far from objective.
Yeah, I'm not sure there has ever been a film that focused on the complex relationship between Bob Ford and Jesse James. In most films based on Jesse, the Ford character usually is little more than a cameo, and often appears at the very end, so when he does kill Jesse, we have no feelings one way or the other about him (Ford). Even in Walter Hill's excellent The Long Riders (1980), the Fords (played by Nicholas and Christopher Guest) probably average a total of five minutes of screen time, tops. The book on which Coward is based does an excellent job of filling in the blanks, with Bob initially an eager young worshipper of Jesse, who knows everything there is to know about the famous outlaw and his exploits, then, once he is accepted by Jesse into the gang, becomes an overanxious show-off to prove his mettle. And then when it dawns on him that he could be an even bigger name than Jesse by pulling off the ultimate act that the posses and the Pinkertons couldn't do, his newfound "fame" is almost immediately tarnished by an angry public, and he lives out the rest of his days a haunted, paranoid man, much like Jesse was in the last years of his own life.

BTW, my favorite Romero film is Martin, followed by the original Dawn of the Dead.

karamazov80

Reaction score
BTW, my favorite Romero film is Martin, followed by the original Dawn of the Dead.
My favorite is the underappreciated Day of the Dead, followed by Dawn, and then, some might say strangely, Knightriders. . .

I'm looking forward to Enchanted--from the trailers, it looks very cute. And cute isn't something I take lightly. Especially good cute. I just hope the whole movie holds together as well as the trailers.
Isn't the point of "cute" not to take it seriously? . . .well, never mind, I'm clearly no expert on such things, so I will defer to your judgment (though I think all will have to admit that Krypto, the dog on my avatar, is pretty "cute" for a flying Superdog)

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
My favorite is the underappreciated Day of the Dead, followed by Dawn, and then, some might say strangely, Knightriders. . .
I think Knightriders is severely underrated! A modern-day retelling of the King Arthur legend on motorcycles! Great, great film, and a very funny cameo by Stephen King.

What did your parents do on Miller's Crossing, btw?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Isn't the point of "cute" not to take it seriously? . . .well, never mind, I'm clearly no expert on such things, so I will defer to your judgment (though I think all will have to admit that Krypto, the dog on my avatar, is pretty "cute" for a flying Superdog)
Touché. I think I mean that I have a deep appreciation for "good cute." It's much different than "cutesy."

karamazov80

Reaction score
What did your parents do on Miller's Crossing, btw?
Nothing major, they weren't even credited, but they were there for a few weeks helping out with technical stuff, setting up equipment, making sure that cameras were working, etc. They both work professionally in television production, and I guess they needed extra logistical help on set, since New Orleans isn't a big film town. They came away with some great stories, though: my mom had dinner with Albert Finney and his girlfriend that she mistook for his daughter :embarrassed:; and they even got a couple of pieces of cool memorabilia. It was weird that they made that movie when I was 10 or so, but I never saw it until I was in college, and I immediately fell in love with it.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Yeah, Miller's Crossing is a masterpiece. I love the scene where Finney dispatches the assassins as "Danny Boy" plays on the record player. An absolutely brilliant choreographed scene.

And of course the work of Gabriel Byrne, John Turturro, Marcia Gay Harden and Jon Polito is brilliant too. And the music score...and the cinematography...and the dark humor...this is such a great film!

Heh, funny your mom mistaking Finney's girlfriend for his daughter. But it's very impressive your mom had dinner with him! He's one of my favorite actors.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Does anyone know why there isn't a movie of Wicked in the works? The songs, story, etc are amazing...but I haven't been able to see the actual production. It isn't a movie is it?