New movies coming out...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
ok i have an update on this thread. i found out that there is going to be independence day 2 from the same director and producer who helped wrote this first one. they said that the movie should come out sometime in the summer of 2005 or 2006. they said that they think bill pullman and jeff goldblum will return but they don't know about wil smith. they said they got a good idea for the story after what happened on september 11th, saying that they were going to do a movie where all the people of earth come together to fight the same aliens from thefirst movie after they find out that more aliens are coming to earth to take revenge on what happened the first time they invaded earth....

thats what i read from some website from producer dean devlin..

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
so no comments on this thing...no one is interested in independence day 2 huh.....hmmm......

ryan

Luke

Reaction score
Well the first movie was pretty awful and didn't do as well as they had hoped - making a second one is going to be painful to say the least.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What? Independence Day was enormous. It raked in over 306 million dollars at the box office and was the 7th largest grossing film of all time in 1997. Right behind Jedi. After blockbuster films like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and the new Star Wars films over the past 6 years ID4 has been bumped to 14.

There's no justification to say it under-performed. All reports were to the contrary. Films are a gamble and no studio expects a film without a previous tie-in to cross the 200 million mark. The first Harry Potter was considered an incredible success at 10 million more than ID4. That claim makes little sense to me.

The picture received mixed reviews. Critics pointed out its cartoony plot, but the FX and overall energy of the film moved audiences. It's not my favorite movie, but it's a good time and I'm glad they're making another one. It had definitely carved a permanent niche in film history.
:smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Really ? Oh, well i thought it wasn't all that popular - i remember them hyping the heck out of it for a year and most people were dissapointed. I liked the nice graphics - but the i thought the plotline was pretty much non-existant and the acting was very wooden considering the people they had in the cast.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup, it had a pretty thin plot. It was a very American type of film and probably fared better with audiences here. The recent wave of patriotism is probably the very reason they plan to bring it back now, although a sequel has been in the works for years.

I liked the FX shots and the spirit of the film, but the story and acting alone were pure cheese. I actually think that was part of its charm. There's no way that they could make it realistic and keep the pacing so they went the tougue and cheek rout.

Will Smith has never been on the top of my list. I wouldn't mind his sitting out this time around. I would like to see Pullman and Goldblum back. It's the type of film that you turn your brain off and have a good time.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
It's the type of film that you turn your brain off and have a good time.
yep, critics call these types of films "popcorn" films for some odd reason! i guess that you can go in and eat your popcorn and sit back and have a good time...but you can do that with any movie! i always thought that making a sequel to what is know as a blockbuster film would be risky..that is why something like ghostbusters 2 wasn't made til 5 years after the 1st one came out because no one wanted to damage a great film that was made. but it's hollywood and there have been sequels to movies where i didn't like but a second id4 doesn't sound that bad at all.

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i heard that will smith doesn't want to do another id4 movie...but things may change..

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Having Smith would eat into the budget. I think they should go with another star. Someone fresh and interesting that wasn't as expensive. I think 30 million dollars is better spent on FX. :concern: They could afford all of the other actors for a lot cheaper.