New Members: Please Post and Introduce Yourself

pressedsilk

Reaction score
Hello!

Hi!
I'm 53 but I work with youth through school (teaching art)and a State 4-H Arts Camp Program. My three children (not children any longer) also have been brought up watching the Muppet Program and Muppet Movies.

My daughter had seen a theater production or an actor that plays the part of Groucho Marx. She fell in love with Groucho at the age of 10. She will never forget Groucho and his songs. We have DVD and CD of Groucho's songs.

I've used the Muppets and Jim Henson's history as an educational tool for my art class students for the past year. I hope bring back this topic again in the future so many more art students can discover the great Jim Henson and his Muppets.
:smile:

FeatheredFriend

Reaction score
Hi , Feathered Friend here,
New to the group and posted and intro, but didn't seem to take! I am a long time fan esp of the Fraggles and loved hunkering down with my two (now grown) kiddos to watch it together- a family event! Love the Muppet Christmas Carol because it had heart and the movies best because I liked to see what innovations they would come up with next. I have worked as a Clown (Ringling Bros) and Puppeteer with my own litlte company and built Puppets professionally for several nationally recognised companies! Presently unemployed, (Darn economy) but using the down time creatively and hoping for the upswing to come soon. Got my springs on to bounce back!
Nice to find an enclave of Puppet enthusiasts, MY people! Have a nice day!

OtoGirl

Reaction score
Hi! I'm almost 17 and am a Sr in high school, I'm obsessed with the dark crystal and I have a deviantart account under the name of OtoGirl.

that's about it on me ^_^:scary:

lalapo

Reaction score
I'm new here, so i just want to say Hello to ALL!

I grow up with 'the Mapets shows'. I'm glad that muppet central exist and i can find here all information and talk with you. Thanks!

jazzmandon

Reaction score
Groucho rules!

Hi Pressedsilk (and all other Muppetites),
Glad to know someone else besides ME knows about Groucho... sometimes I feel like I'm from another universe or something, because of the age gap. You'd be surprised (maybe not) how many people never even heard of Groucho, let alone a lot of the other "signs of the times" that you and I grew up with. Rotary dial telephones, black and white TV, Howdy Doody, Ozzie and Harriet, matchbooks that didn't have the strike pad on the reverse side - the list goes on and on. I can remember (and this is REALLY gonna date me!) when TV first came out, and my folks were the first ones in our neighborhood to get a set. All the neighbors would show up and sit around this primitive gadget and watch a TEST PATTERN! We only had three stations, believe it or not, and programming was NOT 'round the clock like we have today. (No remotes either... you had to get up and change the channel!) Anyhow, I digress.
Yeah, Groucho Marx was the pioneer. He shaped comedy into what it is today, but sadly enough he himself is virtually forgotten. I'm glad to know your kids had exposure to him. I see some of the early influences of comedy in the Muppets, and I'm glad the kids of today have at least THAT MUCH from the residue of days agone. Ah yes, the songs! They don't write 'em like that anymore... the lilting strains of Groucho singing about "Lydia the tatooed lady", or "Hooray for Captain Spaulding". And how about the piano styling of Chico or the harp virtuosity of Harpo? Tremendous talent! But, glad to hear from you. It's always refreshing to communicate with someone who doesn't think you're a dinosaur.
-The Jazzman

Count von Count

Reaction score
Welcom OtoGirl. You can always find news of Dark Crystal and The Power of Dark Crystal here.
And Welcome to All of Our New Members.

OtoGirl

Reaction score
thanks! that's why I joined! that and to find a kira an jen doll^_^

crtleanne

Reaction score
new here

Hi everyone! My name is Cortney and i am new to the site. I really enjoy making puppets and just art in general. I found this sit one day and I love jim Henson and all of his creations so i decided to join. I am hoping to meet new people and maybe learn some interesting things.
Glad to be a member,
Cortney

IsabellaPrice

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a looooong time lurker. I have no idea why I never made an account.

Anyway, my name is Andrea. I'm a costume maker living in San Diego, currently going to community college for a degree in Fine Arts. I'm a big fan of the Muppets, especially Dr. Teeth. I looove Dr. Teeth. Animal was always my favorite Muppet (until he got demoted to second place...by Dr. Teeth!). My other favorite Muppet characters are Floyd and Clifford. I also really like Rizzo and Pepe.

I grew up on Sesame Street mostly. One of the highlights of my childhood was getting to drive with my family for HOURS from New York (we lived in Brooklyn) to Pennsylvania to go to Sesame Place. It was amazing. I wish I could go again! I got a stuffed Big Bird (my favorite Sesame Street character) when I was there and he sat on my bed with my old Kermit puppet since then (which is a good....13 years or so!).

I love building stuff. Especially from foam. I build mascot costumes for a living, but have recently started building puppets. Just to test my skills, I'm starting off with some Muppet replicas (for myself! I have no plans to sell any copyrighted stuff. I noticed a lot of people are against that here, so I just wanted to make that clear). I already started building them, I'm waiting on my antron fleece now.

http://i28.tinypic.com/mizzfs.png That's what's done of Mahna Mahna so far. Instead of using a pattern I carved his head from a block of foam.

I'm building replicas of Mahna Mahna, Floyd, Clifford, and ultimately Dr. Teeth. I really want to build a replica of Sam the Eagle as well, but I'll stick to my main four for now. I just finished drafting up patterns for Floyd, Clifford, and Dr. Teeth's heads, now I just need to transfer them to foam and glue 'em together!

Anyway, I'm glad to finally be a member of this site!