Muppet Fanfic: Something worth waiting for

Leyla

Reaction score
Thihs isn't what it looks like...

Okay... it is.
<slinks away>
-----------------------------------------------------

“But you can’t!"

“Sure, I can. It’s in my contract.” Kermit said firmly. “I have it in all my contracts for when I travel. See, it says right here, I can go home in case of emergency.”

“And this is an emergency?"

“Yep, it is. Pays to have a good agent.”

“So what’s the big emergency?"

“I- can’t tell you that.” Kermit said quietly. ’Cause I don’t know what it is. “But I think it…it is serious, and I do have to leave.”
Alec settled back in the worn wooden chair at the café table.

“You’re putting me in a very awkward position, Kermit.”

“I know. I know that, and I’m sorry, but I have to go.” Kermit felt guilty, and let it show as apology in his face, but he also felt determined, and let that show too, eyes gazing in unswerving conviction.

“We’ll lose the chance to get more attention for the show.”

“Yes, but … word has a way of getting around all the same. There’s been a lot of interest.”

“Interest we should be feeding. More interest means more pledges, more support for the programs-“

Mr. Caraway cared, and it showed in every line on his expressive, yet weary face. Kermit sighed, but held his ground. “I know that… but sometimes, all you can do… is all you can do.” And I can’t do even that much from here.

The altruist looked at him for a long, searching moment. “It is… family trouble?"

Kermit refused to allow himself to squirm. He trusted, yet didn’t trust Caraway quite enough to let his doubt slip free. He needed to go home. “It is… trouble, of one kind or the other and … well, listen, it may not be your trouble now, but if things get worse… it will be. Our lives effect our arts, sir. It may not be the most professional admission, but it’s an honest one.”

“You’ve got another interview this evening at, uh…” Caraway pulled out a battered, well-used notepad out from his pocket and flipped through pages. Kermit had liked this low-key method of organizing from the start. “Uh, "Le bavardage quotidien" with Marie-“

“I won’t make it.” He found himself pinned under a knowing look. “Booked my ticket already.”

The quietness between them was weighted, but not ominous. When Alec finally replied, there was a twinkle in his eye. “She’s going to have a fit.”

Kermit risked it. “I’m hoping.”

“Oughta please your miss, back home.”

“I’m hoping.”’
-----------------------------------------------------------

“Again?" Fozzie hissed to Rowlf, painfully audible to everyone in the hallway.

Scooter squared his shoulders. “Miss Piggy, you… you must be feeling better by now.”

“Go on without moi. Anna Lou will be fabulous, moi am sure.”

“This can’t be good.”

“Quiet, Fozzie.” Rowlf murmured, trying to look as though he hadn’t said it.

“But Miss Piggy-“

“Quiet, Fozzie.”

“If you don’t feel up to singing, you could at least come and… and watch.”

“No, thank you," she replied stiffly, starting to shut her door. Boldly, Scooter grabbed the doorjamb, hoping that decision wouldn’t cost him fingers. “Moi am VERY tired, and vous have to get to the theatre, so…”

“But you’re one of us, Miss Piggy!" the go-fer tried desperately.
“Yeah!" Rowlf seconded. “Can’t have a theatre without a world class Piggy-donna!" She shot him an annoyed glare. Fortunately, she missed.

“It wouldn’t be the same without you, Miss Piggy.” Fozzie chimed in sincerely, hat in hand, and nothing at all hiding the worry in his eyes.

She shook her head miserably. “I… Fozzie, Rowlfie… Scooter. Not today. Maybe… maybe tomorrow. I don’t want to go to the theatre.”

The supplicants cast equally miserably and frustrated looks for a long and awkward moment.

Scooter let go of the frame, fingers intact. “Well… alright, Miss Piggy, but… tomorrow for sure, right?"

Piggy shrugged one shoulder coolly, “Maybe," she mumbled, then she tried again, to close out the world.

The phone rang… with Pavlovian results.

“I”LL GET IT!"

“Oh, no you won’t!"

“Kermin said- jou are walking on my head!- Kermin said it was MY job to answer the phone while he is away!"

“He did not!"

“He di- jou are doubting this? Jou are doubting… Pepe? It is my responsabilities to-“

“Get outta my hair, you lying Prawn! What if it’s Bernice?"

“Isn’t that Bert’s pigeon?"

“Not THAT Bernice! My Bernice. She’s one wild party girl!"

“Yeah, Clifford’s right! That Bernice is one beeeeeautiful bird!"

“Gonzo, you are one weird weirdo. Now give me that phone!"

“PHONE! PHONE!"

“Whoa! Don’t let Animal eat the phone again! Down, Animal!"

“DOWN!"

One enormous, well-haired arm reached over the “Uh, hullo?"

“Aww, man. Sweetums got it.”

“Again!"

“Like, I rully wish I were taller.”

“Heigh-ho! Sweetums! How are you?"

“Kermit!" The friendly monster boomed out jovially. Every voice went suddenly silent. Piggy poked her head out of her room. Chaos erupted once more.

“It’s the frog!"

“Aw, man.”

“Yay! It’s Kermit! Hi Kermit!"

“Yeah! Hi Kermit! Say hi to Kermit, Clifford!"

“Not that I’m sorry to hear from you, Kermit, but I was hoping
you were a leggy blonde!"

Kermit chuckled easily as Sweetums attempted to calm them. It would be good to get home. A minute or two later, and the monster finally managed to answer. “Oh, I’m fine, Kermit. Everyone says, uh… hi… and some other things too.”

“Oh, great. Tell them I said hi. Uh… listen, could you get Piggy on the line for me?"

Sweetums hesitated. “…well, I’ll try.” He pulled the phone away and bellowed up the stairs. “Hey, Miss Piggy! Kermit wants to talk to you!"

Kermit held his breath, waiting. He was not surprised when the wait drew on for long moments. He was, however, dismayed, when a different voice reached his hearing.

“Yes! Hola, Kermin! This is Pepe. They are trying to convince Miss Piggy to talk to jou, but I think you should not hold your breath for this, hokay. She hasn’t done much of anything, and I think it is because- whooooaa!"

“Hello? Pepe? H-“

“Hello, Kermie," Piggy purred into the phone. “Don’t pay any attention to the shrimp. He’s been trés annoying lately. How is Paris, hmm? Wonderful, moi am sure!"

“Well, uh, actually… truth be told, I’d rather be home, Miss Piggy. How… how are things ther-“

“Fine! Marvellous! Fantastique, of course!"

“Oh… well, good.” He shook his head, anxiety roiling through him.

“And, uh… how are you doing, Miss Piggy?"

She was quiet. “Moi…moi am fine, Kermie.”

“Are you sure? ‘Cause… Piggy, you know that I… if something is wrong, you can tell me.”

If anything, her voice slipped into even softer realms. Nothing is wrong, Kermit. Um… but, that’s very sweet of vous.” He sighed… and heard her sigh as well.

“I miss you, and uh, everybody.”

“Miss you too, Kermie.”

An awkward silence fell between them, the suffocating blanket of the lie.

“Well, I guess I’ll let you-“

“Moi should go, Kermi-“

They laughed uneasily together.

“Sorry-“

“Oopsie-“

“Heh, yeah. Well… I really just called to say that I’m…I know
you’re gonna do great in the show this week!"

“Oh…” He bit his lip, hearing the strange unhappiness in her voice. He had lied to her. Did she know? “Th-thank vous, and… I know that vous will do very well in your interviews.”

“…uh, thanks, Piggy, very much. I- I’ll be home as soon as I possibly can be.”

“Good," came the lackluster reply. “Goodbye, Kermie. Is there anyone else vous would like to speak with?"

“Uh, is Scooter around? I need to ask him about… some organizational things. Comings and goings, that sort of thing.”

“Of course. Scooter! Kermie wants to talk to you. Ohh, just you TRY to take it from me, Buzzard beak! Scoo- oh, here he is. Goodbye, Kermie.”

“Bye, Piggy.”

She handed off the phone and waited with the others as Scooter had a very short conversation with Kermit. Miss Piggy didn’t miss the anxious look he shot at her early on. Hmm… interesting… except that she wasn’t really. It was hard to be curious about much of anything lately. She was too busy trying to block the world out. Scooter hung up.

Good.

“Alright! Listen up!" she bellowed. For once… everyone did. “I don’t want Kermit to know about this, remember? So anyone who breathes a word- and moi am looking at vous, shrimp!- about this will regret it. Got moi?"

“Miss Piggy! Jou think I would give jour secret ahway? Never! That is an insult! And I am not a shrimp, I am a Ki-urp!"

She glared down at him as he dangled from his red hoodie, bunched up in her fist. “Got moi?"

“Jou have got me, h’okay.”

Piggy sighed and let him drop. “I don’t have time for this. I have to get ready.”

They stared at her.

“Miss Piggy?" Rowlf asked cautiously.

She tilted her chin up. “Moi am going to the theatre… to…to watch.”

-----------------------------------------------------------
For the record, Le bavardage quotidien means "The Daily Gossip" and is the show of the host who had a melt down that kept Piggy from coming with him, as mentioned waaaaaaay back in the beginning.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Firstly, I am delighted to see the diva of diction at it again!

Secondly, I am delighted to see Piggy's glares do not work on Rowlf.

Thirdly, I am DELIGHTED that Kermit is coming home.

Fourthly, I am delighted that the Boarding house is it's same old self, and I love it!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh Layla I love it, I love it, I LOVE it! It's so much fun! Everyone is SO in character and this story is just SO good! It's been, what? Over a year since an update? Sheesh! It doesn't show any sign of wear whatsoever, it's GREAT! Your Pepe is phenomenal! I LOVE iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

MORE PLEASE!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

<GLOMP!>

<GLOMP GLOMP GLOMP!>

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I- I don't even know where to START, but LEYLA! YOU! STORY! POST! FINALLY! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

AND PIGGY'S GONNA GO TO THE THEATER! AND KERMIT'S COMING HOME AND WORRIED AND WHEEEEEE!

<GLOMP>

MORE PLEASE MORE PLEASE MORE PLEASE MORE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T MAKE US WAIT ANOTHER YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAR!

This story, by the way, TOTALLY lives up to its title.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Drags self into story. *Reads... *Puppy frogeyes at Leyla, more please? Pretty please?

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Yes Please! Please post more soon! I can't wait till Kermit gets home!

:smile:

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Update please?

Still anxiously awaiting an update. :excited:

Please post when you can; really miss this story

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
“First, I started asking the nurses, and they were pretty nice until the Warden showed up.”

“The Warden?”

“Nurseferatu,” Piggy growled, trying and failing to snatch the swinging mirror.

“Right, so I had to ask around and then some nice lady named Catharine pointed me to the gift shop.”

“And then you got the mirror. Great story. Now, give it to me.”

“No, then I didn’t have a wallet to buy the mirror, so I had to do an act to raise enough money for it.”

“What happened to your wallet?”

“I left it back at theatre. Anyway, so I was reciting the script to our first movie in haiku form while juggling stethoscopes when the Warden spots me again!”

"You've broken a lot of mirrors in your lifetime, haven't you?"

Gonzo pressed on. “So, I had to stop even though I was getting to the really good part with me and Camilla.” He took a deep breath,

“Frog and bear did crash
Gonzo and Camilla flew
I was hopping mad.”
This. This right here. This is what stopped me from continuing on and what had me try to laugh quietly (epic fail). I then read it again. And for a third time because I could not get past Gonzo's line of reciting the Muppet Movie in haiku form.

And when I finally managed to get past that, there was the haiku. Hilarity ensued.

And really, that's all I can say at the moment.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
This is a wonderful story by our wonderful muppet friend Layla, who is not much on the boards anymore. But I would love to have her update this any time she feels like coming back on!