Muppet Central...return...

jediX

Reaction score
Besides, its the quality of posts that counts, not the number of them. I can think of numerous respected members that aren't of senior status (yet).

The post count thing is a weird thing. To some, it is a sign of devotion to the board. To others, it can mean someone has been spending an excessive amount of time online. And apparently, others just like to look at large numbers next to their names. :wink:

This isn't an exclusive phenomenon. Some boards remove the post counts to combat this, though, personally, I like post counts being displayed and would be upset if it was to all the sudden vanish. Don't ask me why -- I do not know. I guess it just shows the amount of work that some people put in.

Some boards even have anti-post padding clauses in their forum rules. For example, another forum I post in, the Rebelscum forum, has rules that allow mods to delete any post-padding type of thread (like the numerous threads I've been reading here lately that read more like instant message conversations rather than forum-style posts). They also have a rule that prohibits posting "with socks on," which simply means signing up with multiple screen names to create alter-egos or to bypass screen name banning. This board SERIOUSLY needs to add a rule prohibiting sock posting, considering the extreme immaturity wreaked by it recently.

Having that said, Tonichelle, I understand how difficult it can be to get in on established discussions. Just be yourself and get in on the friends & family or general discussion sections -- they're the easiest to "jump right into." :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, I would like to see more quality posts. One of the good thigns about the Random Randomness thread is that it allows folks to go in and post their random thoughts or word-association stuff and keep the other threads free of those kind of posts.

I've been considering using that thread for that purpose, but deleting it later and re-issuing a new thread. That way the post-counts aren't necessarily padded.

Post counts. You know, thing is Senior Member or not, it gains no one any particular membership status or qualification for anything, and it certainly doesn't make anybody less liable to be banned should that ever need to be occurred! So, I don't get it. I just know that I have no life and post here probably too much--but it's fun! :smile:

And I love you guys.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Kevin that sounds like a fabulous idea.

Cleaning out the Randomnes thread once every two monthes, or such. At least, it seems fabulous to me.

jediX

Reaction score
Too bad there isn't a way to disable posts from being accredited in certain threads. That way, there would not be a need to clean out certain posts because said "padding" posts would not give post credit anyway. Though, if people were posting thousands of random garbage posts, it would likely take up a ton of unnecessary bandwidth...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's right. It's one of the reasons I re-opened the random randomness thread.

jediX

Reaction score
Unfortunately, its become a common occurrence that other threads are winding up exactly like it...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I was hoping the Random Randomness thread would be the one in which folks would get their junk-posting out of their system. It's fun, sure; but, needs to be kept in one particular zone.

I'm working on some ideas for submission to help keep MC more fun and clean of bad posts.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
True Bo, very true....

We came here for one reason, The Muppets and without Muppet Central Forums and Tough Pigs forums we wouldn't know fans. Or get support from MHC or JHC or SW! The muppets are first the randomness is second and we need to clean up because people from MHC and JHC and Sesame Workshop look here and they aren't going to take us too seriously with all this fighting.... like Kermit once sand "Get Along" :smile: So there's my wisdom (hopefully) and I am staying away from all these pointless things and just relaxing!

Luke

Reaction score
One thing to bring up is that its possible in this forum software to edit someones account so that each of their posts has to be approved by the mods before it even shows up on the forum. Seeing as polite requests don't really seem to be getting through to people perhaps something like that might be a good indicator for the most offending culprits to start being a little more considerate for others.

Effralyo

Reaction score
Ndah, ndah, true, but...
Say, Gard, does it seem to you that everyone here makes a cult of you? Watch out then!.. :grouchy:
(Awful mood, sorry! But still, I'm afraid you can turn into a narcyssis (spelt properly?) from it...)