Moving the Set

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Well, the show has moved three times.

The first years of the show was taped at a converted movie theater on Broadway on Upper West Side. Carroll Spinney told me you could still see the old move theater dome above 123 Sesame Street if you looked up.

Then it moved to Teletape Studios somewhere in the late 70's, early 80's?

Then Kaufman-Astoria Studios with the Around-the-Corner change in 1992-1993.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
The first years of the show was taped at a converted movie theater on Broadway on Upper West Side. Carroll Spinney told me you could still see the old move theater dome above 123 Sesame Street if you looked up.

Yeah, he said in his book the dome was where they kept the studio lights.

But HOW did they move the set is what I'm asking: DID they tear down each one and rebuild it at the new locations?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Yeah, he said in his book the dome was where they kept the studio lights.

But HOW did they move the set is what I'm asking: DID they tear down each one and rebuild it at the new locations?

I would assume so, yes.

Considering their budget, I'd say recylcing the old sets was probably what they did.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

Around the corner came in 1993-1994, but they did move the set there in 1992-1993 though.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

Around the corner came in 1993-1994, but they did move the set there in 1992-1993 though.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Well remember, it takes them a good year or so before the new season is completed and aired.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
How did they move the sets? They took them apart loaded them onto trucks and reassembled them in the new studio. Of course some things were replaced with new material taking the place of old ones...but most of the set pieces were just moved. Although they look huge, most TV sets are built in a way that they can come apart into moveable pieces that are then put back together...like a giant puzzle.