Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Enough, that when breakfast was over he withdrew like the rest into the public room, lighted his tomahawk-pipe, and was sitting there quietly digesting and smoking with his inseparable hat on, when I sallied out for a stroll.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Again, Old Thunder, methinks a gesture of gratitude is to be duly served upon ye.
Perhaps a dram of sherry in glasses held high.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
CHAPTER VI.
The Street.

If I had been astonished at first catching a glimpse of so outlandish an individual as Queequeg circulating among the polite society of a civilised town, that astonishment soon departed upon taking my first daylight stroll through the streets of New Bedford.

Again, Old Thunder, methinks a gesture of gratitude is to be duly served upon ye.
Perhaps a dram of sherry in glasses held high.
Now now, I can wait for 'till the drinking of grog later on in this novel. :stick_out_tongue:

Also, this (Chapter VI) kicks off the four seemingly insignificant yet of surprising importance and interest chapters. It culminates with IX and they are some of the most astonishingly famous in the entire novel. Just a head's up.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
In thoroughfares night the docks, any considerable seaport will frequently offer to view the queerest looking nondescripts from foreign parts.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Even in Broadway and Chestnut streets, Mediterranean mariners will sometimes jostle the affrighted ladies.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Regent-street is not unknown to Lascars and Malays; and at Bombay, in the Apollo Green, live Yankees have often scared the natives.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
In these last-mentioned haunts you see only sailors; but in New Bedford, actual cannibals stand chatting at street corners; savages outright; many of whom yet carry on their bones unholy flesh.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But, besides the Feejeeans, Tongatabooars, Erromangoans, Pannangians, and Brighgians,* and, besides the wild specimens of the whaling-craft which unheeded reel about the streets, you will see other sights still more curious, certainly more comical.

*Inhabitants of the Polynesian Islands.