1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Moby Dick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Thunder, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Old Thunder

Old Thunder Well-Known Member

Let's bond over some whale hunting, shall we?

2. Old Thunder

Call me Ishmael.

MuppetsRule and The Count like this.
  3. Old Thunder

Some years ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.

4. Old Thunder

It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation.

MuppetsRule and The Count like this.
  5. Old Thunder

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moreal principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  6. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

This reminds me of Andy Kaufman reading The Great Gatsby book in its entirety on stage.

7. Old Thunder

This is my substitute for a pistol and ball.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  8. Old Thunder

With a philosophical flourish Cato* throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

*The Roman statesman Cato the Younger (95 - 46 B.C.) killed himself rather than submit to Caesar.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  9. Old Thunder

There is nothing surprising in this.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  10. Old Thunder

If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  11. Old Thunder

There now is your insular city of the Manhattoes, belted round by wharves as Indian isles by coral reefs -- commerce surrounds it with her surf.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  12. Old Thunder

Right and left, the streets take you waterward.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  13. Old Thunder

Its extreme down-town is the Battery, where that noble mole is washed by waves, and cooled by breezes, which a few hours previous were out of sight of land.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  14. Old Thunder

Look at the crowds of water-gazers there.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  15. Old Thunder

Circumambulate the city of a dreamy Sabbath afternoon.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You was serious about that?

Old Thunder likes this.
  17. Old Thunder

Go from Corlears Hook to Coenties Slip, and from thence by Whitehall, northward.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  18. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one reading @1000 Eyes ' posts in Morgan Freeman's voice?

19. Old Thunder

What do you see? -- Posted like silent sentinels all around the town, stand thousands upon thousands of mortal men fixed in ocean reveries.

MuppetsRule likes this.
  20. Old Thunder

Some leaning against the spiles; some seated upon the pier-heads; some looking over the bulwarks of ships from China; some high aloft in the rigging, as if striving to get a still better seaward peep.

MuppetsRule likes this.