1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Melonpool: The Motion Picture

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Melonpool, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

I know I've posted here about the progress on my little film before here, but rather than resurrecting that old post, I thought I'd start one that actually had the project name int he title.

Last weekend, we made some headway on the main set, and shot a short-short video to see how the "Captain's Chair" would work out. Those of ou familiar with MST3K might recognize the donor parts for the chair. Sad, but better than going into a dumpster, somewhere (besids, I have two others just like it in my garage).

Anyway, enjoy!

2. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

HAHA gonna be GREAT!!

cc
  3. jimmymontana

jimmymontana Member

This looks awesome, very cool.
  4. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Here are some new pictures of the set. We're going to shoot a little video on it this weekend!
    The set from outside the viewscreen:

[​IMG]

Inside the set:

[​IMG]

Here's one of the walls, finally primered to hide the fact that all of our greeblies are found objects from the trash:

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of my wife peeking through one of the cut outs in the science station. As I said earlier, our set is not meant to be an exact copy of the TMP Enterprise Bridge -- just have some of the design elements mixed in with elements from other ships. Notice the "hoods" over the monitors. They were surprisingly easy to fabricate using a flat piece of plexiglass cut to shape and bent using a heat gun.

[​IMG]
  5. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

how long til its done
  6. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

The movie or the set? I think the set will be done within the next month. The film is anyone's guess!
  7. muppetlover123

o well how far are u along
  8. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

We're at the tail end of our preproduction. The script is done. The storyboards are pretty much done. We're about ready to shoot once the sets are finished. Not sure how long that will take -- probably months. We also have to cast a couple of parts, so that might delay us a bit. Oh yeah, and we all have day jobs.
    Frogpuppeteer likes this.
  9. muppetlover123

10. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

So, we started shooting a short kickstarter video this weekend on the set. When we arrived, we were greeted by a cool little autograph on the side of the set. I thought you guys might enjoy...

[​IMG]

Pretty cool, huh?
  11. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

He finished shooting all of the puppet shots for our Kickstarter video this weekend. It's amazing how much prep work goes into a 6-minute short. Maybe out 78-minute feature's going to take a little longer than a couple of weekends to shoot. ;)
  12. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Here's a behind-the-scenes shot of this last Sunday's shoot. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
  13. Kelso

Kelso New Member

Looking great. What was Steve Whitmire doing there?
  14. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

The set's housed at a puppet studio and Steve came by to talk to the owner.
  15. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Hey all!

It's been an exciting week for us! We finally started our Kickstarter campaign and raised all the money we originally asked for in a little under a week! We were totally floored by it, since we thought it would take the entire 47 day run for us to even get close -- so now we're trying for a higher goal to add a little more production value to our film.

I know that a lot of you are unable to use crowd sourcing to fund your various endeavors because of the legalities of using the Muppets or other copyrighted properties, but if there if this is even a possibility -- I say go for it!

Anyway, I thought I'd share our campaign with you guys that haven't seen it. This is some of the first real footage from my puppet movie that w've been able to release, even if it won't ultimately appear in the final film.

Enjoy!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/182240459/puppets-in-space

Steve
  16. muppetlover123

wow! this is just great cant wait!
  17. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I thought you gave up! I'm excited it's working out for you! :)
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  18. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Oh no -- I never give up. Everything just takes a lot longer than I'd like it to sometimes! ;)
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  19. muppetlover123

i love this when do you plan to have the movie done and finished by?
  20. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

It looks like we'll start shooting in February 2013. In that chunk, we'll be able to shoot all of the Bridge stuff, Airlock scenes, and Galley scenes -- that's roughly 70% of the film. Then, we may have to break and build a bunch of flats, unless we can build them pre February. Once the Flats are finished, we should be able to shoot all but about 10% of the film -- which makes up the special effects mostly. So, we're hoping to release the finished film sometime in 2014.