matleo's annual toy fair trip

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm still mad at Sababa for only making 4 of the main 5 Fraggle dolls. Grrr...
Actually, they did make 6 plush, but didn't get enough backing from the retailors to mass produce another series. So Sababa was trying. It wasn't their fault totally. I'd be angry at the retailors, myself.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, well how about not Having Floyd Pepper in a Muppets Bust collection and the rest of the Mayhem band were made... That TRULY Sucks
:sing: I remember asking Sideshow about that and they responded quite rudely and didn't seem to care. I think Palisades really stole Sideshow's thunder as they both inked Muppet licensing contracts at the same time, but Palisades had more popularity, a better relationship with fans and a better price point. I have all the busts (however my Beau is broken so I need to replace that) and except for a ridiculously crummy Fozzie likeness these are up there with the best Muppet items I've ever seen.

My thought is that the artistic team at Sideshow/Weta enjoyed Harry, Link and Lew more than Floyd and didn't think fans would notice. This resulted in many completists refraining any investment in what they saw as an incomplete collection. It was unwise. I know there is no obligation to correspond with fans and customers but that doesn’t make it any less important in such a market. I still don't have the greatest affection for the company, but I do like my busts. I may even create a Floyd using the broken base of my Beauregard. :wink:

Drtooth said:
Actually, they did make 6 plush, but didn't get enough backing from the retailors to mass produce another series. So Sababa was trying. It wasn't their fault totally. I'd be angry at the retailors, myself.
Companies like to release things in even pairs for store pegs. Mokey's the one that got the shaft. Personally I would have made her and Sproket along with the other four then called it quits. Retailers like Dora, Spongebob and Elmo. It's hard to sell Fraggle stuff to them. I would have set my sights on online retailers and specialty shops from the beginning. To be honest, even those had problems with the idea of Fraggle figures when pitched the idea by Palisades in the prime of the Muppet line. Go figure? I still think this new Fraggle figure run has much product momentum behind it considering the DVDs in stores and other items that are here and are to come. Letter bases or none these could easily sell through. :coy:

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
hmmm, I was going to put my mint pedigree Mokey from the 80's up for auction but after reading this I have decided not to.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
:sing: I remember asking Sideshow about that and they responded quite rudely and didn't seem to care.

I never had a problem with Sideshow and there employees. They always have been really nice when I called or asked a question on there website. I do give them credit, they are more active than MR will every be. They have podcast and newsletters everyweek. I am a BIG collector over the 12" Star Wars figures. The details on these are incredible. I love the sculped of the heads. They just raised there prices as well. :frown:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem with Sideshow and there employees. They always have been really nice when I called or asked a question on there website. I do give them credit, they are more active than MR will every be. They have podcast and newsletters everyweek. I am a BIG collector over the 12" Star Wars figures. The details on these are incredible. I love the sculped of the heads. They just raised there prices as well. :frown:
It was a very long time ago so the team over there handling questions could have changed. I think that once Sideshow received my email they had already been inundated with similar concerns over the absence of Floyd and the inconsistent quality in their Fozzie Bear prototype (which was actually the factory sample) with the rest of the line. I will simply say they weren't very gracious or timely in their reply to my tactful questions. In every toy line there's a stumble or two - Fozzie and Floyd were Sideshow's. Also they had the pressure of pushing high-end expensive busts when quality full-body action figures of the same characters were commercially available for a steal. I doubt they would have initiated the busts if they'd known of the quality action figures. Still, I'm glad they did and love my collection - Floyd or no Floyd (and a strategically placed Fozzie in the back). :embarrassed:

Fozzie Bear said:
Thanks Kev. I'm still hurting from the Gonzo and Animal expense, but hope to pick up old Beauregard soon. He'd make a great poser - that will never happen, but a frogboy can dream.

I am worried about the rumored recession. Of course in general, but also how it will affect the toy industry. The dot-com bust changed the action figure and collectible landscape for various reasons; I hope the same doesn't happen in the coming years. Also I am worried that the Muppet Moments statues (in their current form) from MR could potentially dilute the Muppet brand over there. I have so many questions for Travis. Anyone know when he's getting back? :confused:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I have so many questions for Travis. Anyone know when he's getting back? :confused:

Yeah, I cannot wait for Travis to come back so he can answer all our questions again. I want to know how Fopzzie is doing and of course, how the next poser is coming along. :sympathy:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, no--RECESSION? I've GOT to watch the news. Golly, how'm I going to afford house, food, utilities, and Muppet goodness PLUS run my production stuff?

I guess I have to give up the house and utilities, but maybe I can display the Muppets I buy in the alley where I'll end up living?

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
Oh, no--RECESSION? I've GOT to watch the news. Golly, how'm I going to afford house, food, utilities, and Muppet goodness PLUS run my production stuff?

I guess I have to give up the house and utilities, but maybe I can display the Muppets I buy in the alley where I'll end up living?
Two Werds: Blood Plasma

Drtooth

Reaction score
Companies like to release things in even pairs for store pegs. Mokey's the one that got the shaft. Personally I would have made her and Sproket along with the other four then called it quits. Retailers like Dora, Spongebob and Elmo. It's hard to sell Fraggle stuff to them.

Something Us muppet fans know all too well about. And something people who follow Playmates toys know all too well as well (I wish I never found out they were making a Gizmoduck for the second series of Darkwing Duck figures).

The Fraggle Dolls sold pretty well at Target, though. They had lots of Red Fraggles on the shelves for a year or so, but they sold them pretty fast when they cleared them out (and not even by that much... a few bucks maybe). It's always a backhand when toys sell out the second they hit clearance. They didn't do well enough to warrent restocking the shelves until it's too late to order more.