matleo's annual toy fair trip

matleo

Reaction score
hey gang, just sent and email to mindstyle to see if I could get come answers and maybe get us a few pics or something or hopefully create some kind of dialog between them and Phil. Also PM'd Phil with their email so he can do the same.

in the meantime, I know this is a bit of a tease but if you go to mindstyle.com you can just make out the fraggle figurines in their booth. They're on the top shelf in the middle case of that main picture. I poked around their site but didn't see anything esle. Hopefully they'll have some up soon. I got the impression that they had just gotten the prototypes in so I'm guessing that they probably haven't had a chance to take pictures.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

--Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Matleo.. could you do us a favor and discuss the stuff you found out about the DVD in This thread as well?

beaker

Reaction score
hey gang, just sent and email to mindstyle to see if I could get come answers and maybe get us a few pics or something or hopefully create some kind of dialog between them and Phil. Also PM'd Phil with their email so he can do the same.

in the meantime, I know this is a bit of a tease but if you go to mindstyle.com you can just make out the fraggle figurines in their booth. They're on the top shelf in the middle case of that main picture. I poked around their site but didn't see anything esle. Hopefully they'll have some up soon. I got the impression that they had just gotten the prototypes in so I'm guessing that they probably haven't had a chance to take pictures.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

--Matt
Why do you think Mindstyle asked that sites not take pictures or show the Fraggle figurines?

This site took pictures of every square inch of every display at the convention, including every inch of the Mindstyle and Dark Horse display cases( http://www.cooltoyreview.com/tf2008/Mindstyle/default.asp )...yet no Fraggle Rock, which would be in the shelf above this one:
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/tf2008/Mindstyle/image96.asp

matleo

Reaction score
Why do you think Mindstyle asked that sites not take pictures or show the Fraggle figurines?

This site took pictures of every square inch of every display at the convention, including every inch of the Mindstyle and Dark Horse display cases( http://www.cooltoyreview.com/tf2008/Mindstyle/default.asp )...yet no Fraggle Rock, which would be in the shelf above this one:
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/tf2008/Mindstyle/image96.asp

I don't know. Could be because they're prototypes. Could be because Mindstyle has something special plannned for releasing pics. Could be that pics were taken and they weren't very good. Could be that cooltoyreview wasn't interested in them. Could be any number of things.

--matt

matleo

Reaction score
hey gang,

just got a response to the email I sent to the Mindstyle rep last week. Here are a few answers for you.

Minstyle rep said:
Hello Matthew:

Thank you for your email. Individuals like you that help make producing collectibles enjoyable. Too often, may are quick to jump the gun without even knowing the facts. We have not released any information to the media or any sites. Basically, we wanted to generate interest with the buyers at Toy Fair and only then, carefully plan the launch of the Fraggle Rock anniversary series. As our licensed products are distributed worldwide by Dark Horse, all media will be handled by their company once a release date is scheduled.

Your concern of the letter blocks is a balance of creative and business. As everyone well knows, even the Muppets and other Henson properties were not well supported at retailers after the initial releases. Yet, the figures were amazing and some of my favorites. In this case, the only way for the series to come to 3D vinyl life is to gain support at retail. The current trend which would enable the figures acceptance in the more specialty market is to have them blind boxed and with the blocks that would allow collectors to buy not only the characters but the letters to spell say their name or a word. In no way is this to distract from the figures or the property. Yet the reality of it all is such a property will only gain wider acceptance to new audiences by meeting the current marketplace.

Surely we have strongly considered the best way to meet both true Henson fans and the new vinyl toy market. We thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and share those of other board members. The cost for the sculpting, painting, molds and production require a somewhat large minimum quantity for the project to make good business sense as such a series could not be produced any other way. It should be noted that much of what we do are as collectors, yet we are faced with the challenge of delivering the product to new audiences. The fans and loyalty is tremendous and respected. By the way, the figures were always removable from the blocks which are an added feature. The blocks were just a platform. The basis of vinyl toys are something that allows collectors to do just that, collect them all!

Based on such great fans, we will do two things:

First, we will release the figures in sets with a window box without the blocks. Without question, this should meet the request of true Henson fans. The limited edition sets will be made available at conventions, comic book shops and the customary collector stores.

Secondly, the figures with the blocks to spell and create words will be released individually at specialty and vinyl stores to meet that demand of a new audience. Consider this; many people buying the figures today have not even seen Fraggle Rock so in this sense, new fans will buy the figures because of the character and collectible factor.

It should be noted that the cost to tool and produce such quality limited edition figures are extremely expensive. We try to balance creative with business to ensure such a wonderful series will make it to retail.

Should there be any further questions or ideas, please feel free to contact me.

Best,

MD Young
Co-Founder

MINDstyle
And there you have it. That's why there's no pics form Toy Fair. That's why the letter blocks and that's how they're packaging them. I like that they're going to be doing them as a set minus the blocks.

--Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This makes sense. It appears that online and at ToyFare the MINDstyle folks figured out the letters thing was off-putting to Fraggle fans. I agree about the retail support. What happens is that one unsuccessful bite at a particular property's apple can sour future interest. I still don't think they know how popular the Fraggle property is yet, but it appears they are being flexible to the fan base and that is fantastic! I am also very pleased to hear the personal correspondence. I'll be getting the non-lettered, window box assortment to show my support for the look and quality (rather than the abstract idea) of the figures.

:coy: Thanks Matt and MINDstyle guy! :excited:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Folks haven't seen Fraggle Rock? There's at least 3 DVD sets out there. We've gotta get folks interested!

I'm still mad at Sababa for only making 4 of the main 5 Fraggle dolls. Grrr...

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
grrr...

Folks haven't seen Fraggle Rock? There's at least 3 DVD sets out there. We've gotta get folks interested!

I'm still mad at Sababa for only making 4 of the main 5 Fraggle dolls. Grrr...
Yeah, well how about not Having Floyd Pepper in a Muppets Bust collection and the rest of the Mayhem band were made... That TRULY Sucks :sing: