Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsieve

Reaction score
At least we have Muppet products to talk about. Even if the information is somewhat limited.

:halo:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Nope.......nothing yet. And I cannot find anything out about Fozzie either. it is too quiet for me. I want news, updates something!
I miss the Palisades touch. Everyone who came on Muppet Central (and eventually Palisades) Forum could at least get some sliver of information. They were a small, thinly-spread company too. But every company is structured differently.

Back in those days if there was no news to report; Ken would leak a sketch or design of another Muppet product to give the loyal fans something to satisfy our appetites for a while. It would be nice if they'd throw a preliminary statue sketch our way and create some buzz. Sure, fans are going to dissect it. That's what we do. Nature of the biz. In the end it actually helps to win good will with customers. It takes a tiny bit of time and a bit of guts.

There appears to be a disconnect with the majority of Muppet fans and potential customers that I truly feel doesn't need to be there. We seem to be getting more updates about updates this year than last. That's something. :zany:

bjr1978

Reaction score
That's fine but don't forget this is a pre-order. When pre-ordering an item you should be aware that the item is not ready for release yet hence it is a pre-order. I agree that once the item is available there should be an accurate representation of what you are purchasing. If anyone has worries about an item they are pre-ordering they should simply wait until the item is actually available. The pre-order is there for anyone who has trust in a company or product and wishes to order it as soon as they possibly can.
I am aware what preordering is and I completely trust MR and think I showed that by purchasing Kermit and Animal. They are terrific. I preordered them and I am happy with them.
I just decided last minute that I wanted to see final pictures of Gonzo so that I feel comfortable forking over hard earned money. I have full intentions of purchasing Gonzo as I want to collect them all (I am a die hard muppet fan like everyone here... shoot I just got a tattoo to prove it, lol).
I just wasn't expecting him to ship so soon (that is the biggest reason I cancelled, can't afford him right now), so unfortunately he isn't a priority for me right away, but I look forward to seeing new pictures of him so I know what I can expect when he arrives. (i don't mean to sound like a jerk if it sounds that way) :smile:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I just wanted to say, we've (myself included) been doing a lot of bashing of MR's customer service lately, and I think with good reason.

But looking at my Kermit and Animal, they actually did a wonderful job on them. Even with the minor complaints we have, it's amazing that we get to own these. Even Henson couldn't make two puppets or posers the same. The fact that these came out as good as they did is a minor miracle.

Still, if I don't like the final solution on Gonzo's nose, I will not buy him. As someone else said, I wouldn't pay $300 for a doll, I would pay $300 for a replica.

:stick_out_tongue:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
That's the beauty of the pre-order. Some people, me included, will buy the Gonzo replica based on what we have seen so far and the rest will buy it (probably) once the first few have put their photos up on here. Some companies will only allow you to purchase an item once it is in stock. I don't think they will be too worried if the pre-orders are low as long as they sell well once it is in stock. And that all depends of the tweaks they have managed to do on the nose.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Yes, normally pre-orders show a prototype and not the final product. But normally, that prototype isn't completely redesigned. Using something that isn't representative of the final product to solicit orders is bad business practice – plain and simple.

It's one thing to buy a $12 action figure based on a sample, it's quite another to shell out $300 when you don't know what you will get.

Customer Service at MR has actually been quite good. They seem to be somewhat responsive and have made it clear that we can return Gonzo if we don't like him. While I don't like the idea of being out $300 until the return has been processed and all of the hassle involved, it is commendable that they at least offer this as an option. Most collectables are buyer beware.

I would blame this solely on Marketing. It is the Marketing Dept's job to "market " these products to consumers and give them every opportunity to sell. It reminds me of the Palisades SS Ernie figure. You don't try to solicit buyers with a prototype that was that bad. They killed the line by showing those protos to potential buyers. They never had a chance. It's kinda funny that the same person is in charge of Marketing at MR now, isn't it?

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
When the phrase "back to the drawing board" was used I don't think they meant the whole replica, just the nose. The current prototype photos are still a close representation of what Gonzo will look like (it looks like Gonzo after all) but they may have changed the material that the nose is made from. Also, there might be slight colour changes in the fur and nose. The only problem people have is that the current photos show the original material the nose was to be made from and it is too shiny and also not a close enough representation of the original replica. The rest of the poser, including the suit and suit colour from what I gather, will be the same as the current MR photos. The main problem is, besides the nose material, is the photos have not been taken with much care. After ordering and receiving two previous MR Muppet replicas most of us are aware that the final product is more than likely going to look better than the photos on the MR website.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Having said that, I am in no way against MR putting more current photos of the Gonzo replica on their site or posting them here for us! :smile:

mrsieve

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back from MR customer service. I sent an e-mail 3 weeks ago, and still haven't heard back as of yet.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
When the phrase "back to the drawing board" was used I don't think they meant the whole replica, just the nose. The current prototype photos are still a close representation of what Gonzo will look like (it looks like Gonzo after all) but they may have changed the material that the nose is made from. Also, there might be slight colour changes in the fur and nose. The only problem people have is that the current photos show the original material the nose was to be made from and it is too shiny and also not a close enough representation of the original replica. The rest of the poser, including the suit and suit colour from what I gather, will be the same as the current MR photos. The main problem is, besides the nose material, is the photos have not been taken with much care. After ordering and receiving two previous MR Muppet replicas most of us are aware that the final product is more than likely going to look better than the photos on the MR website.
I remember the Gonzo series 5 action figure from Palisades. When Ken said "back to the drawing board" they actually chucked their retooled model of the head and went back to the beginning with the design. As you've said, who knows what MR means in their statement. I believe they haven't gotten back to any Gonzo inquiries yet because of their reportedly planned statement with pictures. :concern:

If you check that old series 5 Gonzo's picture on the back of the package, I believe it pictures the fairly good retool that was discarded in favor of the new sculpt. Just a bit of trivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.