Lack of Susan in recent years

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Something that really bothers me, is Susan seems to have really took on a very minor role these days on Sesame Street. When the show first made its premire, she had a starring role on the show, and was in almost every episode. I noticed that beggining in 1991 or 1992 she started appearing in less episodes. But since there was 130 episodes being produced back then, she appeared in a fare share of shows during each season. Now lately, she seems to only be in one or 2 episodes a season, and there always very brief appearances. For example, I have only seen a handful of episodes from this Season so far but from what Iv'e read in the episode guides, she was only in one episode this year, and by the looks of it, it was just a small very brief part. It seems like over the years we are seeing less and less of her, and her role has been diminshed to one small cameo per season. It doesn't make much since since she's Mile's mother and Gordon's wife, and those 2 seem to be around pretty regulary. I just don't understand what's going on with her, and why this is happening.

rowlf84

Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed this too. I haven't heard any word why.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That is strange. I've noticed that too. My guess is that Loretta Long is busy with other projects. I remember seeing a lot of both Susan and Gordon in the 80s. Now Gordon's still very active on the show. After all, there were two different actors playing Gordon before Roscoe Orman, but Loretta has been on the show since day one, so maybe she feels that she's ready for a new career. Though hopefully they won't get rid of her for good. I don't think the writers would say that Susan died or she and Gordon got divorced or something. They'll probably just focus more on Gordon and Miles or they could replace the actress. I wonder if the same thing going on with Loretta Long that happened with JoMarie Payton on "Family Matters." She left the show because she thought the focus was too much on Urkel and less like it was in the beginning. "Sesame Street's" sort of the same way with all this Elmo business, so I guess Loretta's not into it anymore. I'd really hate to see her leave though. I remember a lot of good Susan moments:

Ex: Miles adoption, The Snuffle Shuffle, etc.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
let's not worry about her leaving unless it happens. I can understand why some are wondering but let's not overdue it either. also why would you even suggest they'd get rid of her?

doctort13

Reaction score
And doesn't she have a doctorate in education? So I guess she MUST have other things to do with her time.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Maybe she's doing the Frank Oz thing, or the writing staff knows something.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Has anyone seen her AT ALL this season? I think I only saw her on two occasions last season.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
let's not worry about her leaving unless it happens. I can understand why some are wondering but let's not overdue it either. also why would you even suggest they'd get rid of her?
Well, I wasn't trying to put Susan down or anything. I guess I had that thought because I have seen situations where a character slowly fades away from the show and all of a sudden they're gone for good. Still I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. Susan is a really great character and hopefully she'll be on the show for a while yet. Though, I would like to see her on the show on the same level that her husband and her son are on the show.

Has anyone seen her AT ALL this season? I think I only saw her on two occasions last season.
Yeah. She appeared in the episode where Elmo and Zoe played the "Healthy Foods" game.

AAO

Reaction score
If she did leave the show, there's no way that Sesame Workshop would produce an episode about divorce. The reason: Lou Berger, the head writer for Sesame Street said back in an interview during the "Biography" special that they tried an episode about divorce and it confused the test group of kids and had them saddened and lost with the characters. We never know, she might come back into the spot light or maybe she's slowly fading away. Look at Gena, she kinda disappeared there for a while and then what do you know she's a Veternarian. But if Susan would leave the show, I think that maybe something would happen like she might leave for a job far away and lives there for a while and maybe come back to Sesame Street every so often and slowly Gordon would go with her and Miles, being much older would live in his parent's place. Just a thought...