John Ritter and Johnny Cash die

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
I also read that John Ritter was the voice of Clifford :cry: :cry: not 100% sure of this, but now that I think about it, I can believe it.
he was indeed the voice of clifford....

ryan

Erine81981

Reaction score
I didn't even know about that. I thought his voice sound fimilar but couldn't put my finger on it. Neat that he did that. Sad to see him go. I still can't believe that. :frown: :cry:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
suggsy said:
I'm a HUGE fan of Johnny cash and even though it's not sudden, it's still very saddening.

Anyone ever see his Muppet Show? I've always wanted to and would love to hear a synopsis.
I'll give it a go. This version has MAJOR SPOILERS. If you want one without, leave another post and I'll try it without.

Johnny Cash arrives to find Pops struggling with his radio. As the show begins, Kermit tells us that radio station WHOG is doing their broadcast from the theater, as freckle-faced technician Billy Boy sets up. After the opening number, "The Martins and the Coys", WHOG's obnoxious and bullying radio host, Big Tiny Tallsaddle (played by Jerry Nelson), arrives and changes the mood a bit. He gets everyone's name wrong and doesn't bother to correct himself, he disrespects everyone, ignores Kermit's authority, and makes threats involving necks and microphone stands. Johnny does "Ghost Riders in the Sky". After that, Rowlf comes onstage to do his number and is told to "Git!" by Big Tiny, who introduces Grandpa McGuire and his Whistling Bricks. Kermit comes out to tell Big Tiny that it's his (Kermit's) show and he's the one who decides what goes onstage. In response, Big Tiny introduces Kermit's prize-winning frog jumping (courtesy of a pail of red hot marbles). Kermit tells Johnny how angry he is at Big Tiny, who acts like he owns the place and won't let Kermit stay on his own stage. Think he can't be that bad? Billy Boy gets a microphone stand wrapped around his neck for dropping Big Tiny's gee-tar pick.

For the UK Spot, Lew Zealand sings "Goodnight Sardine" with the Gills Brothers. Then Rowlf introduces Johnny and offers to accompany him. Johnny says thanks anyway but he doesn't need it. Rowlf is insistent, and Johnny basically says ok but don't say I didn't warn you. The song Johnny sings is "Egg-Sucking Dog" and Rowlf, very uncharacteristically, takes the song very personally. Meanwhile Fozzie Bear is about to go on but Big Tiny says only one comic works the Big Tiny Tallsaddle Show- his nephew Wild Wally Whoopee. Fozzie and Wally both go on and Wally upstages Fozzie something awful. When Big Tiny adds insult to Fozzie's injury, Kermit finally tells him off and orders him out of the theater. Just as Big Tiny is about to wrap Kermit's neck in a microphone stand, Scooter rushes in to tell Big Tiny that some kids are letting the air out of his horse! As Big Tiny runs outside, Scooter calls for Beau to lock the door. Kermit is very grateful and doesn't know how to thank Scooter. Scooter says he doesn't need thanks, but he could use some cash. Kermit agrees, and introduces Mr. Johnny Cash, who sings "Orange Blossom Special", segues into "Jackson" with Miss Piggy, and comes back around to the last verse of "Orange Blossom Special". The goodnights are in the barn set (as is every act in the show) and Kermit says he had a great time once they got rid of Tallsaddle, who at that very moment re-enters. Tallsaddle says he isn't there to make trouble, he just wants to borrow a bicycle pump. He has to "pump up Ol' Paint, before they tow him away!"

That's the episode, in a nutshell.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
35 guests from The Muppet Show are now deceased:

Season One:
Juliet Prowse
Avery Schreiber
Vincent Price
Ethel Merman
Andres Bossard (of Mummenschanz)

Season Two:
Zero Mostel
Milton Berle
Nancy Walker
Edgar Bergen
Madeline Kahn
George Burns
Rudolf Nureyev
Bob Hope
Peter Sellers

Season Three:
Gilda Radner
Pearl Bailey
Liberace
James Coco
Danny Kaye
Spike Milligan
Roger Miller
Roy Rogers
Dale Evans

Season Four:
John Denver
Victor Borge
Dudley Moore
Dizzy Gillespie
Doug Henning

Season Five:
James Coburn
Senor Wences
Jean-Pierre Rampal
Marty Feldman
Johnny Cash
Buddy Rich
Gene Kelly

Still doesn't feel right putting Johnny Cash's name there. 71 is old enough but people are living so much longer than that these days. And John Ritter at 54- that IS young.

Saw Johnny Cash's last video tonight, "Hurt". It was magnificent. None of that pop crap can come close to it. The only thing I like about Justin Timberlake is that when accepting video of the year he said "I demand a recount- this award should be going to Johnny Cash." Even though the androgynous-faced young guy hasn't any talent, he does know talent when he sees it.

John Ritter was a one of a kind. There won't ever be another actor like him.

Johnny Cash... as I was listening to his music today after hearing the announcement, there seemed to be something to timeless, so earthy, so firm and so alive in his voice and his music that makes me feel like his work transcends time and life and death. It just seems to me like his legacy already endures and in a way cheats his death; one feels the life of his music in such a way that he won't ever seem completely gone. He left such an imprint and was able to turn out great music even through today, his music has a timelessness and life to it that makes it seem fresh and hip all over again, never fading into the past. Johnny Cash spoke to the common man, with a voice that rang true for him them and now, and as long as there are common men in this world there will always be Johnny Cash.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I posted pictures of John Ritter's appearance in Muppet Magazine and The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show if anyone's interested.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Johnny Cash

:grouchy: :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

I remember watching the news and hearing about Johnny Cash past away at 71.
It brought back a lot of memories about him wiht the muppets. I remember being introduced to Johnny when I watched Sesame Street as a young child.
He was singing to Oscar the Grouch a song called "Nasty Dan", then later he
did a song with Biff (a construction worker muppet played by Jerry Nelson)
called "4 miles high and risin'". His wife Had made an apperanced on the show
once as well. Then He guest stared on The Muppet Show. It is great to know
it was the muppets who got me hooked on some great stars like him

The World will miss this great singer, songwrighter, and legand

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
35 guests from The Muppet Show are now deceased:

Madeline Kahn

When did Madeline Kahn die?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
scarecroe said:
I posted pictures of John Ritter's appearance in Muppet Magazine and The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show if anyone's interested.
thanks for those pics, Scott, they're really neat.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I remember waking up Friday around 5am and seeing on CNN "John Ritter Dies." And I was like "What!" Then like 30 seconds later there came "Johnny Cash Dead at 71" and I was surprised again. It's weird when two celebrities die in one day, it reminds me of 3/27/02 when Dudley Moore and Milton Berle died.

The VMAs were two weeks ago and I was rooting for him to win at least "Video of the Year" 'cause MTV was never going to see him again. While I am not a major fan of Johnny Cash, I still think he deserved that award, especially with the added poignancy that his wife, who died in May, was in the video. But he was robbed by Missy Elliott. Figures.

I've seen "Hurt" on MTV2 and VH1 many times, but it was ONLY Friday when I finally saw it on MTV itself. Knowing that this man just died made the video even more heartbraking.

As for John Ritter, that WAS a shock. It must be incredibly tough on his family: his wedding anniversary is next week, he would have turned 55 on Wednesday, and John died on September 11, his daughter's 5th birthday. Man...

Interesting fact I believe I heard on one of the networks: John Ritter's dad, Tex Ritter, had appeared on "The Johnny Cash Show" decades ago and I believe I heard Tex had a show or performance at one point and Cash appeared on THAT.

Enough rambling, but man, it's been a tough year for the entertainment world. Who's next I wonder? :frown: