John Ritter and Johnny Cash die

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just heard that both John Ritter and Johhny Cash have died!!!!!!1 !!:eek: :cry: I am saddened but not particularly surprised about Cash. But Ritter - where did that come from??!! They said he had a "dissection in his aorta" that no one knew about. How awful. I just saw him on Conan a month or so ago and he looked great. I've always liked him. The Problem Child movies were a riot! And he was Clifford on PBS too. And of course Three's Company. John Ritter was great, and it's just so completely out of the blue.... I wonder what will happen to Eight Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter.
Erin

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hi Erin,

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio not to long ago on my way to college. I couldn't belive it was John Ritter. I was wondering if his new show was still on? I haven't watched it yet. He was only 54 I belive. I know of a few times when he worked with the Muppets, "The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show" and then at some point he was with Big Bird (not on the street) and he was ripping feathers off of him. I read that in the Wisdom of Bird Bird. Gosh, that's sad though. He was great in the Problem Child movies and Three's Company.

I've never seen the episode of the Muppet Show with Jonny Cash, but my Step father really likes his music. I'm guessing he was pretty old as well. They said on the radio who would have thought we'd be using John Ritter and Jonny Cash in the same sentence?

Zack, :sympathy:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, John Ritter was just a few days away from his 55th birthday. And his fourth daughter turned five yesterday.
:frown:

Reminds me of John Denver, whose daughter Jessie Belle was only six when he died. What a loss. And Johnny Cash was pretty sick with diabetes and other things. His wife's death in May hit him pretty hard. He'd looked pretty bad recently, and it was clear he was ailing.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
My chin literally dropped when I heard this. I just can't believe it, especially about John Ritter. I have to read Noises Off for a class and the whole time I was picturing him in the movie version and my friend and I were getting ready to watch it. I loved his work. I didn't know Johnny Cash's as well but what I did was great too and it was disappointing that he didn't win at the VMAs. My thoughts are with both families.
:frown: :cry:

dbarrie

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
I have to read Noises Off for a class and the whole time I was picturing him in the movie version and my friend and I were getting ready to watch it.
It was sad to learn of their deaths this morning, but Ritter's was indeed a shocker. I saw him in "Noises Off." It was a good movie, I think you'll like it. I saw him in another movie which wasn't quite as good ("Stay Tuned"), but he was well-suited for it because it gave him a chance to both pay homage, and poke fun at, his TV image.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
That's sorry for both of those guys. I didn't know that much about Johnny Cash, only that he sang music. But I knew about John Ritter. I started watching his show, "8 Simples Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter" and I thought it was a funny show. I've been seeing promo's for the past few weeks for the 2nd season with Ritter. I wonder if the show will continue?

I read what happened to him and it was a probelm with his heart that went unnoticed and could have been fixed, but it was to late. It's a pretty tough loss for him to die, especially for his family. He encouraged his son to get a part in Freddy vs. Jason. The kid got one of the lead parts and his father was really happy with his son about that. I still can't believe that he's dead.

ryan

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I'm really upset about John Ritter. He was too young and I feel just awful for his family :cry:

Here is the news story about his death from cnn.com:

Actor John Ritter dead at 54
Friday, September 12, 2003 Posted: 10:00 AM EDT (1400 GMT)

(CNN) -- Actor and comedian John Ritter, who gained stardom in the 1970s sitcom "Three's Company," died of heart failure Thursday night after collapsing on the set of his current TV series. He was 54.

Ritter was rushed from the set of the ABC series "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, after suffering from aortic dissection, an unrecognized and undetected flaw in his heart, according to a statement from his publicist Lisa Kasteler.

"Surgeons at the hospital tried to save the Emmy Award-winning actor but, sadly, were unable to do so," the statement said.

Ritter, who would have turned 55 next week, is best known for his role as Jack Tripper on the long-running television sitcom, "Three's Company," which brought him an Emmy.

He was the youngest son of Western film star and country music legend Tex Ritter, according to his biography on ABC's Web site.

He was born on September 17, 1948, and is survived by his wife, Amy Yasbeck and their daughter Stella and three children, Carly, Tyler and Jason, from his first marriage to Nancy Morgan.

WebMD.com describes an aortic dissection as "an abnormal separation of tissues within the walls of the aorta" caused by high blood pressure, family history of the condition, disease of connective tissue, or severe trauma to the chest.

"Aortic dissection results in a weakened blood vessel wall that may also rupture," the Web site says.

Ritter guest-starred on many popular television series, and was nominated for an Emmy Award for his appearance on "Ally McBeal."

Proving his versatility, he also provided the voice of Clifford on the PBS animated series "Clifford the Big Red Dog," a role for which he received two Emmy nominations.

He is best remembered for his goofy physical humor on "Three's Company," but showcased his penchant for serious acting in Billy Bob Thornton's 1996 cinematic hit, "Slingblade."

That role opened the door for future serious acting roles. He recently co-starred with Sigourney Weaver in Miramax's "Tadpole," directed by Gary Winick.

He also appeared in the independent feature "Manhood," which premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival.

Ritter will also be seen in Miramax's "Bad Santa," opposite Thornton. The film is scheduled for release on November 26.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i just read somewhere that due to the death of john ritter, 8 simple rules for dating my teenage daughter has been canceled. i can't imagine how the show would go on without him even if he was replaced by someone else to take on the character of the father. i really liked that show. it was really funny and enjoyable to watch.

ryan

electricmayhem

Reaction score
dbarrie said:
It was sad to learn of their deaths this morning, but Ritter's was indeed a shocker. I saw him in "Noises Off." It was a good movie, I think you'll like it.
Yeah, I meant I'd seen it already and I really love it. It's my one of my favorite things that he's done.

Erine81981

Reaction score
This terrible news. I can't believe this. My mom is going to be upset when she hears this. She loves that show. This unbelieveable. I'm still wondering why? I can't even understand it. I just heard it from ya'll. I looked at the post and said this can't be true about John but it was. Man I don't know what I can say I still can't believe this happened to John. This is so upsetting. :cry: I'm sorry guys. I can't believe it. Well I hope nothing like this happens again w/ any actors or singers. I'm just !!:eek: shocked! *can't think*