James Camerons blue Gelflings

Laszlo

Reaction score
Was Cameron inspired by Dark Crystal?

JMPrater

Reaction score
There were a couple of scenes RIGHT OUT OF THE DARK CRYSTAL. Namely "when Jake Sully is walking in the forest initially and is looking at the those strange plants that then disappear quickly, much like Jen in TDC." Also, " When Neytiri (sp?) and Jake wake up together on the forest floor. They embrace each other the exact same way, and you can hear Jake Sully's voice over as his eyes open." Classic throwback to The Dark Crystal.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, interesting. Would love to know if that was intentionally?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Cameron researched everything he could get his hands on - especially the Dark Crystal. It's a world without any humans. That's rare for film. :scary:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
So, that's how you make a movie! Steal a world from The Dark Crystal and steal your story from Disney's Atlantis. It's genius!

:scary:

... Actually, I kinda liked Avatar.

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Hello all.

I worked on Avatar and actually helped to design Pandora. The helicordian glade (the pink plants that you refer to) were in the initial script as it was handed to me. There are definitely things that are similar to Dark Crystal. Im not sure whether Jim used DC as reference or not. It was a very cool project to work on and I hope that you enjoyed it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I worked on Avatar and actually helped to design Pandora. The helicordian glade (the pink plants that you refer to) were in the initial script as it was handed to me. There are definitely things that are similar to Dark Crystal. Im not sure whether Jim used DC as reference or not. It was a very cool project to work on and I hope that you enjoyed it.
:super: You guys did a fantastic job and made a nearly three-hour-long film zoom right by in beautiful color. Heck, I didn't even see it in the 3D and I was amazed. One of my friends who doesn't like movies that much said Avatar was the best thing he's seen in years.

(Maybe someone from your department should give a call up to the Zemekis people. His graphics need *a lot* of work. :embarrassed:)

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Several of us actually work for Zemeckis now... I will reserve making statements that could hurt my job. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Several of us actually work for Zemeckis now... I will reserve making statements that could hurt my job. :smile:
:embarrassed: Oops! Well, that's a good thing. He needs you. Those Polar Express corpse children still give me nightmares. I'm glad the technology has moved forward after Avatar. Truly amazing film effects that emote. :flirt:

SuzieChan

Reaction score
Hehe... I was waiting 'till someone's gonna bring this topic up.

I also couldn't help but notice a major likeness between Na'vi and Gelflings, not only physical. Just like Gelflings, Na'vi are peaceful creatures (though Na'vi, being very protective towards their clan and family, tend to be aggressive towards their attackers) who celebrate their love for nature through song, dance and stories.
Also the bond their create with their holy trees, animals and each other kind of resembles dreamfasting.

They also seem to have some traits of the Podlings as they have deep respect for the nature that surrounds them and also communicate with their animals.

rurulesunc, right now I envy you so much - that you've been working on what is, probably, one of the best Sci-Fi movies in history. You all guys did a wonderful job bringing the world of Pandora to life, and for this I thank you very much :smile:. I swear, if this movie's not gonna get at least one Oscar, I'm probably gonna go insane. :stick_out_tongue:

I've got one question for you: are also gonna work on the sequel to Avatar?