James Camerons blue Gelflings

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Suzie,

Im really hoping that I will get to work on it. I believe that it will be a while before production starts up again though.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes POCAHONTAS ... true.

BTW the Navi s hands also have 4 fingers !

cabbageheat

Reaction score
wow.

Not one thing in that movie reminded me of TDC. All I kept thinking was...Pocahontas.....over and over again. The storyline bored the **** out of me, but the design was fantastic.

But regardless, I didn't feel or see any resemblance or nod to TDC what-so-ever.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The Dark Crystal? Hmm- I guess I could see that. I'm not sure about Pocahontas. I think Avatar was mainly a rip-off from the Smurfs though.:wink:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
"Not sure about Pocahontas"?

Its the EXACT story, beat by beat practically. One of the reasons I could not stand it. Its a story you've seen a million times so much so, its practically mind numbing.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
But at least Pocahontas is based somewhat on historical fact. (Although obviously changed to suit the story and highly dramatized and so forth.) In any case, I can't really say for sure until I see the movie. I'm just going by my impressions of previews and such.

JMPrater

Reaction score
Cabbageheat, you weren't paying attention if you didn't pick up on a couple of the obvious homages......namely, when the N'avi version of Jake Sully explored the forest, and walks into the spiraling leaves of that plant and they quickly disappear EXACTLY like the more rudimentary plants did when Jen walked by them in TDC.

The next homage came when the camera pans to Neytiri & Jakesully waking up on the forest floor, embraced in the exact same way Kira & Jen were. Neytiri's eyes open first amid Jakesully's voiceover, EXACTLY the same way it happened when Jen & Kira awaken in front of the Gelfling ruins.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Nah. I was paying attention. I can see it "now", but not during, sorry, but TDC was the furthest thing in or on my mind at the time of viewing.

Plus, what came to me was just the obvious: a poorly written story, bad dialogue, plot points you can see coming in your sleep, and a story that has been told so many times, its just boring to watch. But, it did have great design. As always with Cameron films.

For those who loved it, great. For those who saw countless TDC references, well, I have serious doubts, though some elements may have "mimicked" certain shots or encounters. I dont' think that has anything to do with Jims film or was influenced in any way by it (as in movement/camera angles/character reactions). I think it was coincidence, nothing more.

Jeffboy

Reaction score
Just an FYI, it wasn't Pocahontas, or Atlantis which itself was a rip-off of Nadia, secret of the blue water...

Avatar = Ferngully the last rainforest. :big_grin: