1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

I'm an organ donor. LoL!

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Slackbot, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Slackbot Well-Known Member

[IMG]

Every other April, either on April Fools' Day or my birthday, I donate my hair to Locks of Love, an organization which uses donated hair to make wigs for children who have lost their hair due to medical conditions. Well, today is March 32nd, and here's my donation.
  2. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Cool, good for you Slackbot. I did that one time, it's a great organization.
  3. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been donating every other April since 2006. That first donation cost me my closest 'net friend, unfortunately. She, being a long hair fanatic, went berserk and started posting nastygrams on my blog, then was outraged when I blocked her for a day to give her time to calm down. She never did get over it, unfortunately. Ah well.
  4. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Dude! That's awful. It's just hair, it'll grow back. Sorry about that.
  5. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Yeah, some people are like that. She just hates Locks of Love and seemed to assume that I did it to get at her. She really attacked me over it, and I don't need people like that in my life. So, when she didn't come to her senses, I just said bye-bye. Such is life!
  6. Cindy Moderator

Way to go! That's a great organization and such a neat cause.
  7. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks! And it doesn't hurt that I got a free haircut out of it. ;)
    miss kermie and Cindy like this.
  8. RedPiggy Well-Known Member

My hair's never long enough. Sigh.

And that "friend" sucked. How could a person be so hateful?
  9. Slackbot Well-Known Member

It takes me two years to grow my hair long enough to donate. An average person's hair grows a half inch a month.
  10. Cindy Moderator

I'm able to donate about every other year too. Especially when I'm pregnant, my hair grows super fast. I made my last donation about a year ago and I said it would be my last, but alas I've yet to cut it again.
  11. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I haven't paid for a haircut since I started donating to LoL. [IMG]

Hmm, maybe that smiley needs a haircut...
  12. Cindy Moderator

Ha, I like the way you think. I had to pay for my last haircut. I have a hard time finding people in my area who will comp just because you're donating.
  13. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I go to Great Clips. They never grudge the freebie and act like you're the greatest person ever for donating your hair.
  14. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I'd love to donate an organ (but I have a piano I can let go cheap)
    tuba moan :halo: BAD PUN KATH-EE! BAD PUN!!
    Yeah..I know...it WAS a bad pun! I'd donate my hair to LoL too but it's so dang thin from all the medicine I take that the hairdressers would wonder why I'm bothering.
    I'd ALSO like to donate my regular organs when I pass away. Unfortunately I've been taking antiseizure medications since I was a teenager.So I don't think anyone would want my kidneys etc. since they've been disposed to medications like mine.
    I DO applaud those that contribute to Locks Of Love and regular organ donors. (Does it help that I contribute $ to St Jude every month as a Thank You to God for letting me live when I wasn't supposed to LONG ago?)
    gonzosgirl1987, mo and Gonzo's Hobbit like this.
  15. Slackbot Well-Known Member

You do what you can. I used to give blood regularly until the Red Cross decided that, because I'd been in Great Britain for more than 3 months during the later '80s, I might have Mad Cow Disease. I wish they'd decide on an incubation period for that disease so I could clear myself and go back to bleeding into bottles.

If you give what you can to help others, and maybe gently encourage others to do the same, I'd say you're doin' good.
    Katzi428 likes this.
  16. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I think it's great that you donate Money to St. Jude's Kathy. I do know that Locks of Love doesn't take hair that's been chemically treated (at least that's what my mom always tells me).
    It is so hard to get my hair long enough to donate. One reason is that I like having short hair so I tend to cut it more whenI go it. Also when my hair reaches a certain length it gets everywhere and I hate haveing to deal with it.
  17. fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Good for you for donating your hair. My wife's done the same thing. Great cause.
  18. Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Way to go Slackbot! :D I'm proud of you. :) I might donate to this organization myself someday, but my hair is such a hassle when it's long (which explains why I keep it fairly short), plus I don't know if Locks of Love would have a branch up in Canada where I could donate. It's still a good idea, though. :)
  19. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm surprised by how many people at work donate or have family members who do.
  20. Cindy Moderator

I usually mail my donation in myself so I wouldn't think it would matter if you were in Canada or not. Unless it's important to you to donate to an organization that represents in Canada.