1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

I Miss the Munsters :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Oct 31, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Hey, Sidney Sheldon admitted that I Dream of Jeannie was essentially a rip-off of Bewitched, yet both were good shows; Munsters are just as good as Addams Family. *Shrug*
  2. D'Snowth

Well, again, that's just their excuse for refusing to carry it.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I know...I just had to mention Boomerang's strangeness...

I mean, when you sit down to watch a show on there, you can pretty much make it a contest with your friends to guess whether or not the particular show you are watching is going to have commercials... :p
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I heard about it months ago when it was supposed to be a series and thought to myself... Oh great. Another edgy remake probably inspired by Twilight or something. I hope it fails. After watching the show, I was actually ticked it didn't get picked up.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  5. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of getting back into The Munsters myself, I watched it all the time during my high school years. I must have been the only kid in high school who appreciated old school. lol I'm still trying to get the complete Munsters on DVD myself when I get the extra cash. I did buy an episode of The Munsters from iTunes to show to my best friend and, I don't know, he didn't find it funny. It was the episode where Herman falls asleep in his car and two robbers take off with it. There was a part in the episode where Lily (that's Human's wife's name right?) calls the police to go find Herman and they end up picking up this certain individualism who had one too many drinks. lol So they get him off from the streets and drive him to The Munsters' house. And he's sleeping in Herman's bed and wakes up in shock to see Lily and Grandpa "Oh no, I went to the other place, and your the Devil!" he starts to run for his life and Grandpa puts a freeze spell on him as he jumps of the bed. And it's so funny also because of the limitations of film / TV special effects back then which makes it even more campy funny. lol So Grandpa comes back to the room since Herman came back home from a rough day, Grandpa tells the man that he's going to unfreeze him. After a few failures he gives up and mumbles "Aw, Fiddlesticks" and the man crashes on the floor. lol I just love the slapstick of that show. My kind of humor. lol

By the way, wasn't there an episode where Herman and Grandpa were in the lab and there was some explosion and Grandpa calls Herman a "Jack***", I think I remember seeing that on TV Land. lol

I think it only made since to show my best friend some Munsters during our early Halloween get together "He spend Halloween at Walt Disney World by himself", because I wanted to show him Gremlins 2 (I'm a HUGE FAN!) and Grandpa Munster is in fact in the movie through out with his cheap hand puppet crossed-eyed dragon named "Igor", may I add the teeth falls out of the puppets' mouth too. lol

Lately, I've also been getting into Addam's Family more and more. It's a great genre mix for me. I've always had a bit of a dark morbid sense of humor but silliness, wackiness and slapstick have always been my true love before satire, comedy is totally my thing. But just to see a genre where it's dark humor pertrayed in a Wacky slapsticky sort of way, it's like heaven to me. I love the 90s movies, the 60s show is okay. I love the original comics from Charles Addams. Plus I just recently got into the 90s Addams Family cartoon which I guess is a revival mix of the 90s movie and the Hanna Barbera cartoon series. The jokes in it is just amazing. lol

One of my favorite lines from the 1990s movies is Martica looking in a closet and there's bodybags and she reads the tags and puts them on a pile on the floor. "Uncle Nicknacks Spring Wardrobe, Uncle Nicknacks Winter Wardrobe,....Uncle Nicknack, ah here's what I'm looking for." lol

I remember hearing loads of times in my life so far. Which one is better, Addams Family or The Munsters. Personally I love them both and there's no need to compare. They are in the same genre but two completely different families. Addams Family is a rich family who just loves the culture and dark art and just have twisted fun all the time and The Munsters is a complex family, sort of a goofy spoof version of Universal's Monsters but in a slapsticky sort of way. It still amazes me that Universal City approved and produced it. lol

One more thing I wanted to add, funny story I remember hearing. One of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors, the ending credits music was a combination of The Munsters, Addam's Family and The Simpsons theme song and Fox got sued by both of them for it. lol It's on the commentary on the dvd, forgot which one it's on. I really need to get The Simpsons Season 12, because that Treehouse of Horror has The Simpsons homage opening to The Munsters. I still remember Homer shaking his head and laughing Herman style as he goes out the door. lol It's really funny.
  6. mupcollector1

There's two versions, one is the recognizable rock with the surfer rock kind of gutiar "Dah nah nah nah nah nuhnuhnah" and the other one is completely different from what I remember.

For some reason, the music from Don Knotts' Ghost of Mr. Chicken came to my head. lol :p
    Isn't there a weird connection to Horror / Sci-Fi and 60s Rock for a few movies or shows? Scooby Doo's chase scenes and MGM's 1969 Sci-Fi "Green Slime's" theme song (a head of Ghostbusters' time) lol Even in the 80s, there was awesome rock music on horror films....must I say Nightmare at Elm Street, Gremlins, Spookies etc. lol
  7. D'Snowth

8. D'Snowth

Someone posted the lost Munsters pilot on YouTube, featuring different actors playing Lily (known as Phoebe here) and Eddie:

mupcollector1 likes this.
  9. robodog

robodog Active Member

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between The Addams Family and The Munsters I'd be well and truly screwed. Arguements abound as to which is better but I love them both equally. TVLand had a Munsters Marathon a few Halloweens ago and I watched for hours and one of my fondest Christmas memories is watching an Addams Family marathon on Christmas eve with my Grandpa sometime in the 90s.
  10. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

And I neglected to comment on your second paragraph before, but I am so happy that you finally have MeTV! But I do know what you mean, their fall schedule this year is very weak. This past's summer schedule, however, was the awesomenest of awesome.
  11. Drtooth

Funny thing is, before we got MeTV, there was RTV. And even though they had the same problem with infomercials (it was the same channel, you see) the one time they didn't air infomercials on Saturday Morning, they had the 80's or 90's (it happened in between those decades) Munsters. Voice actor Jason Marsden played Eddie. it was okay, I guess.
  12. D'Snowth

RTV is still around, right now, they seem to play mostly obscure series that nobody really knows or cares about, such as The Bill Cosby Show, The Joey Bishop Show, little-known 50s Westerns, campy 70s series like B.J. and the Bear, cheesy 70s cop shows, among other things.

Epic fail!
  13. mupcollector1

Well if anyone who ever had a gun in defense of something crazy like that, changes are it's going to shoot out confetti and have one of those cartoonish rool out thingies that say "BANG!", unless if it's the Joker from Batman....then there could be a secret explosive. Just be thankful it's not a situation of being tyed in a chair of explosives with Crazy Harry. ;p lol Couldn't resist. lol

But yeah like I mentioned, it just seems like two completely different families within the same genre. That's like choosing between The Muppet Show and Classic Sesame Street. It's the Muppet humor genre, two different audiences, two different universes, two different casts. Or even Three Stooges vs The Marx Brothers. Both are great in my opinion, they are in the screwball slapstick character comedy, two different universes.

Though if Eric Fogel was still making Celebrity Deathmatch for MTV, that's the ultimate court for vs pop culture. lol What a great show. lol :) I still remember Three Tenors vs Three Stooges, probably my favorite. lol
  14. mupcollector1

I heard about this reading articles years ago on the net.
  15. D'Snowth

I wonder why the rest of the series wasn't in color like the pilot was? It's my understanding that Batman (being in color) was the reason The Munsters got canceled. Not only that, but most other shows, by that time, had already transitioned to color as well... just think: with The Munsters being a fantasy show, and color really lending itself to fantasy (one of the reasons the third season of Bewitched was so successful, as it was the first season that was in color), had they filmed in color, they could have had a decent run... they could have lasted five seasons at the least.
  16. mupcollector1

Season 1: I like the keyboard rhythum. It's something to nod my head to in various directions. Kind of a sit in your chair kind of dance I suppose.

But Season 2 kind of makes me want to dance "The Monkey" Johnny Bravo style. It's more energized.

I tried to play them both at the same time but in my opinion, if someone took the keyboard rhythum in Season 1 and applied it to Season 2 and it would be great if of course The Munsters had a third season. But wasn't The Munsters revived for The Family Channel or Fox Family or something like that and 2 revival movies? I think there was even a revival in the 80s and who ever took over Herman, the voice was deep and raspy. Not Human Goofy yet polite like the real Herman.

Man, that guy was tall. lol

I remember someone told me that she seen a documentry about The Munsters on TV and she was afraid there was a bunch of arguments behind the scenes but instead basicly, the crew was like one big happy family :)

Anyone remember when Butch (aka Eddie) came on The Simpsons and Apu asked him "If your father was a Frankenstien Monster, Your mothers' the bride and your Grandfather was a Vampire, Why are you a wearwolf?" Then he thinks for a moment and brings out a smile "I don't know, I guess that doesn't make any sense." lol
  17. mupcollector1

HILARIOUS! Thanks for posting :)

Anyone remember Munsters dolls in the 1990s? I think I won a Herman Munster out of a claw machine at Ponderosa.
    .Back in the days when plush dolls were made just the way I like them, rubber heads :)

I really love how they are all a blueish Terquoise. Decades ahead of America's Yellow Family "The Simpsons" :)

I wonder what executives thought when they got a pilot for a sitcom of monsters in a slapstick fashion. The glory days of creative television, beautiful, where has it all gone?

I love this pilot, super funny. My kind of humor. lol :p Though Herman's face looks slightly different.
  18. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I recall reading in the Nick at Nite 1997 calendar that it was considered too expensive to film in color and that the characters were considered too ugly for color.
  19. Drtooth

Me-TV is supposedly airing the movie (Munsters go Home) today, followed by episodes of Car 54 where are you?

Better than nothing I suppose.
  20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I've been more excited about Car 54 than the Munster movie? :p