I Miss the Munsters :(

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, used to, every Halloween, WGN would have an all-day long marathon of The Munsters, hosted by Alice Cooper... and that had become the only time of year you could actually see The Munsters, because now that TV Land no longer likes classic television, they don't play it anymore like they used to, and throughout the year no less.

Now, as of last year, WGN doesn't even do those Munster Marathons anymore, which really sucks; they just play Halloween episodes of their regular programming now.

I RULLY should have gotten The Munsters when the complete series came out on DVD a few years ago, but I couldn't afford it at the time. :smirk:

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the promos for this new Munsters remake/rip-off Mockingbird Lane? Looks like something Mel Brooks would come up with once his career hits rock bottom.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
NBC was going to make Mockingbird Lane into a TV series, but the pilot was declined for season pick-up so they burned it last Friday. You don't have to worry about it tarnishing the original series unless NBC has a very last minute change of heart.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah. Well yeah, I had seen the previews of it, and it honestly looked nothing like the original Munsters in any way, the characters didn't resemble the originals, it didn't even look like the Munster family, but rather, another freaky-deaky and kooky family that just happens to live on a street that's also called Mockingbird Ln.

Still though, the promos made it seem like a very poor Mel Brooks send up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
NBC was going to make Mockingbird Lane into a TV series, but the pilot was declined for season pick-up so they burned it last Friday. You don't have to worry about it tarnishing the original series unless NBC has a very last minute change of heart.
The worst part is, it actually was good! The problem is the barely in name only-ness of the concept. They could have called it anything else in the world, and it still would have worked. Other than the name only connection to the Munsters, if you thought about it as something else, it was a pretty good concept for a show, and very much the product of its creator. It would have been perfect paired up with Grimm.

And yet, they greenlighted Revolution... J.J. Abrahms or not, Cracked pretty much handed its own butt to it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The worst part is, it actually was good! The problem is the barely in name only-ness of the concept. They could have called it anything else in the world, and it still would have worked. Other than the name only connection to the Munsters, if you thought about it as something else, it was a pretty good concept for a show, and very much the product of its creator. It would have been perfect paired up with Grimm.
I wonder if they thought the cast might have been too expensive to keep together, with Eddie Izzard and Portia DeRossi and Jerry O'Connell all having TV shows under their belt and enough name recognition to demand some money. Most of their new shows don't really rely on big name actors or have one "big" name, like Matthew Perry.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Eddie Izzard is a big star? I've always thought of him as more obscure than anything.

But... *sigh*, remember the good ol' days when movie stars were considered "too big", "too important", and "too expensive" to even consider doing television? Matter of fact, I remember that was the concerns of both Fred Gwyne and Al Lewis, that Yvonne De Carlo was too big a movie star to even think about doing a weekly sitcom.

And, of course, thanks to Street Gang, we all know the truth behind the Marilyn Munster Conspiracy *cough*JonStone*cough*

Hayley B

Reaction score
Do you get Boomerang? They've been playing atleast an episode of The Munsters after The Addams Family cartoons.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. Comcast/xfinity refuses to offer Boomerang since it's (supposedly) a commercial-free channel.

Ironically, Comfinicast FINALLY offers Me-TV, though I'm a little disappointed with their schedule... seems like the shows I enjoy either don't come on until the middle of the night, or on Saturdays only.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder if they thought the cast might have been too expensive to keep together, with Eddie Izzard and Portia DeRossi and Jerry O'Connell all having TV shows under their belt and enough name recognition to demand some money. Most of their new shows don't really rely on big name actors or have one "big" name, like Matthew Perry.
I dunno... giant mansion set, movie quality CGI effects... This is the same mind behind Pushing Daisies. A show that, while it got good ratings, they weren't good enough to warrant that huge budget. Even if this managed to be picked up, I'm sure they'd blame the budget and cancel the thing right away.

But they DID do a good job of shoving Animal Hospital down everyone's throats. Quite viciously, I might add.

Ironically, Comfinicast FINALLY offers Me-TV, though I'm a little disappointed with their schedule... seems like the shows I enjoy either don't come on until the middle of the night, or on Saturdays only.
I really like Me-TV, but I HATE the fact that the Weekday and Saturday daytime line up is infested with Cowboy shows. They had Lavern and Shirley on Sundays, and then stopped. Also Bosom Buddies. There's all these great old sitcoms they could be airing, some at a reasonable hour. But then again, I'm glad Me-TV made a channel jump. The former channel that had it ran infomercials all morning and then at 10 PM. At least now I can watch Get Smart if I can stay awake until 1 AM on a Saturday (or rather, Sunday). Not to mention their embarrassment of a Saturday Morning line up. I was told they had He-Man and Gumby and stuff, only to find boring travel shows, career shows, and Green Screen Adventures.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
But they DID do a good job of shoving Animal Hospital down everyone's throats. Quite viciously, I might add.
And that worked out so well for them. At least it made it to air unlike their failed pilot with Dane Cook. I shudder to think how bad a show could be that it doesn't meet NBC's standards.