How to start making puppets?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
No problem, on that note how do I make it so the rods won't fall apart from the puppet's hands?

hitcher

Reaction score
hi,
i'm pretty new here, don't really know about the things here yet, so sorry for disturbing.
the fact is i'd like to know how to make a puppet, so if anyone can help (book, internet page, etc) that would be fine

oh and by the way....sorry for my bad english....i'm hungarian

the hitcher

pepperwink

Reaction score
This past Easter they had some plastic "eggs" in the shape of sport balls. The baseball and basketball eggs were the same size and shape of pingpong balls. They were made of a tougher plastic and already made into halves.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
here's a good question. how would I attach the puppet's mouth to the head? do I sew it on or are there any other methods?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Kuriboh, are you speaking of the mouth-plate? I usually sew mine in. It really depends on the method of puppet-building you're using, I think. For example, I believe that the foam book has you make your mouth-pate & then build the puppet around it. Its been awhile since Ive done it that way.

The glorified sock puppet from projectpuppet.com has you sew the fabric of the mouth in first, then attach the mouthplate later. that's always been the way I'd done it, so it was good to see it in the pattern, too.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
what kind of materials would you use to make a mouth plate? I usually use Cardboard or Foam rubber and sew the fabric on top of it afterwards.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It really depends on what type of mouth you need. For something rigid I've used Corroplast (corrogated plastic, like cardboard except plastic) or even thin sheets of regular plastic. For flexible mouths gasket rubber works well, or even foam covered with fabric.

There's some good ideas for making mouths in Sean Johnson's Ratchet puppet building tutorial.

HappyFeet

Reaction score
Hey all! I just built my first puppet and played it by ear. It came out pretty well, better then what I imagined my first piece would look like anyway. Far from Henson quality, but it's a good starting point. I am sure you all have answered this a million times, but does anyone have a good idea of a good fabric that makes a nice "muppety" skin? I know the old antron fleece is preferred, but I was hoping to go the route of more attainable and easily accessible fabrics, at least in the mid-west. Thanks for any help you guys! Love you all!