1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How can someone hate Elmo?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by JustinHoskie, Apr 1, 2012.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, Kevin has built himself quite an empire, not just from performing Elmo (although that does have a lot to do with it), but he's also very involved with SST behind the scenes as well, producing and directing quite a bit... then again, a number of the Muppeteers have also been involved behind the scenes more and more as well: Joey Mazzarino is currently head writer (though he's been writing for years), and Jim Martin does a lot of directing as well. Rickey Boyd's had some behind the scenes involvement as well.

As for necrophilia... well, you know what pedophilia is right? Well, it's like that, only instead of kids, it's dead bodies.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  2. vettech28 Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of Elmo myself, but I do like the fact that other characters share the spotlight every once in a while. I do admit, Kevin Clash brings plenty of funny moments as Elmo, but I don't like the fact that Elmo seems to get more attention than the other characters on the show. I think Sesame Workshop is making the right move by including other characters with him.
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wonder how Steve's schedule is. I see a LOT of Eric's characters popping up on the show, but not so much Steve. But the flipside... they're so popular in Germany, they're supposedly pushing out all the other German characters that aren't the horse and sheep. Still, I blame the fact that SS doesn't show all the Ernie and Bert's great Adventures AND the block format just about kills any room for older clips.

Elmo only "replaced" Grover when Frank Oz was still his only performer. Now it seems like he's got a LOT of focus, almost more than any other classic character. And that's all due to being recast. Out of the four characters, Big Bird, Grover, Elmo, and Abby, Elmo is the ONLY one that didn't get a Macy's parade balloon. Grover was chosen over Elmo! Also, while Elmo is just getting his second segment, Elmo the Musical, Grover has had 2... the now defunct Global Grover and Super Grover 2.0 (which has become one of the show's pet segments... they run it virtually every episode to the point of rerunning episodes 3 times a season).
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... I thought Elmo the Musical was just a one-shot bit, you mean to tell me it's going to be a recurring segment? Oh God help us...
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

A recurring segment that replaces the stale Elmo's Wolrd segment with something more focused and coherent. It's a compromise, if anything. They cannot completely divorce a 15 minute Elmo segment at the end of the show. The next best thing is to replace it with another Elmo segment. I was saying they should go with Elmo's Backyard, but anything is better than EW.
  6. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

*Sigh* I guess even Sesame Street is inpenetrable from the world of crappy musical series like Glee and Smash...
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Aw, come now... you know as well as I do Sesame Street was ALWAYS Musical.

Besides... If I see Elmo talk to a baby style filler again... RRR! You can tell even the show makers were losing interest with it.
  8. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

But Sesame has GOOD songs (well, Glee uses good songs)
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

...and ruins them.

Wait...

uh...

this thread...

was it about something.

Ah yes. Elmo.

How could someone hate this guy?

[IMG]
  10. heralde Well-Known Member

Well Grover's thing is that he knows he's cute and isn't ashamed to talk about it, lol.
  11. MollyArriba Member

I love Elmo to tiny little felt bits. The thing is, I love Oscar, Big Bird, Telly, Baby Bear, Zoe, Bert, Snuffy, Ernie, the Count, and SO many other members of the Sesame Street gang more.

Elmo is spectacular and a wonderful little monster, but he has like a fifteen minute spot all to himself every episode, and part of me wishes that someone or something else was given that time.
  12. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

..."Elmo: The Musical" is going in that slot this season...
  13. MollyArriba Member

You've GOT to be kidding :insatiable:

Haha, well, I guess he is a major favorite amongst the kids. The love that red devil! I don't blame them, I love him too.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Any character in the same 15 minute plotless segment full of blunt repetition on one subject would probably be bad in it. It was a pretty poorly designed segment. The only highlights were the E-mail from another character and the channel of the day cartoons. Compare that with Abby's Flying Fairy School, a segment several minutes shy of that run time, and it goes by quicker due to the fact it has a plot and engaging characters.

I hope Elmo the Musical is just as engaging as Abby.
  15. MollyArriba Member

There's something about Abby's Flying Fairy School I can't stand. I guess it's because I'm not used to seeing her.

But you're right, the emails are great!
  16. Convincing John Well-Known Member

And Lloyd Morrisett's 3 year old daughter watching test patterns was one element of many that eventually led to the beginning of Sesame Street. It almost seems like things have come "full circle" in a sense.
  17. Convincing John Well-Known Member

First up, the rumors are just that. Rumors. Mainly when you see Matt's BB, it's either in green screen shots or if they have a BB and Oscar segment. Caroll still plays the bird and he was performing him right up to the last day of shooting last year. That I guarantee because my wife and I were watching them shoot this scene from Hooper's Store on May 19, 2011:

(Wow, could I tell you guys stories about that day! I know why Leela's in that green, fuzzy outfit, the guy performing the Guy Smiley-ish Muppet with the X is Matt Vogel, Marty Robinson shot a short video there for his blog...so much to tell...)

And Caroll will be there to play the Bird this year. You bet he will.

You're right about the roller skating. It's Caroll every time!

Sorry I changed subjects (as this thread is about Elmo), but since someone asked about Caroll, I had to jump in to nip any rumors in the bud.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Elmo thread.
  18. heralde Well-Known Member

If that were a real Broadway musical, I'd take my kids to see Ripley's instead, lol.
    D'Snowth likes this.
  19. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day (2000s, lol), you could clearly tell a difference between Caroll and Matt's Big Bird, even without listening to the voices: Matt's Big Bird seemed to have a rather larger head (and maybe slightly smaller eyes) compared to Caroll's Big Bird. That, and I've notice Matt tended to add a little extra bounce to Big Bird whenever he would emphasize or punch out a certain word or syllable.
    Yes, I myself am a music lover... that's why I oppose this kind of stuff. XD
  20. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

No offense, but you guys really shouldn't judge the segment on its title; how 'bout you watch it first, then decide whether or not it's worth watching.
    Drtooth, DrDientes and Duke Remington like this.