How can someone hate Elmo?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There is simply no comparison between the thoughtfulness and insight that went into Old School Sesame Street, and the pandering, marketing ploy called Elmo's World.

I've never quite understood the backlash against Elmo, though that may be because I watched the show after he was introduced.
I watched the show after he was introduced too, but it was before Elmo's World, and back when Elmo was a part of a rich ensemble, instead of monopolizing everything. He could be a very endearing character back then, acting as the sort of little brother to the other characters. That is the Elmo I prefer to remember and not what he's become.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched the show after he was introduced too, but it was before Elmo's World, and back when Elmo was a part of a rich ensemble, instead of monopolizing everything. He could be a very endearing character back then, acting as the sort of little brother to the other characters. That is the Elmo I prefer to remember and not what he's become.
The thing is, he can be great if he's used in that way. I kinda wish he'd go back to being a more monstery 3 year old... that's where the third person talking comes from, in case anyone's watching. He used to speak a little more stilted, almost but not quite like Cookie Monster.

Sesame Street has never taken a break. It's always been on since 1969. However, since Elmo's rise to popularity in 1993-ish and onward, he's guaranteed to be in every single episode. If Elmo is given the chance to be more of a three-dimensional child, such as Big Bird, then the deeper, more eloquent lessons about life can be taught on Sesame. The Good Birds Club episode was a brilliant lesson in self-acceptance, pride and not giving in to bullying. Kids will benefit way more than this than 15 minutes about "hands" or "hats".
The thing that always bugged me about Old Schoolers was that they're clearly terribly scientists. They NEVER took in the variables. I have NO idea where the new block format came from... if they're trying to clone Nick Jr, they're late by well over 10 years. But Elmo's World clearly came out of the school that A) they wanted some sort of vehicle with him B) They wanted to fill the last 15 minutes of the show with filler because the audience was dropping off just then, and C) someone watched Blue's Clues and said "We need to do that."

I swear, what Barney did to kid's programming, Blue's Clues finished. Why everyone felt the need to copy that, I'll never know.

Imagine if things were different, and Elmo's world was its own little sustained show with a plot, where they did something... I mean, Abby's Flying Fairy School, Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures, and Super Grover 2.0 all work because they follow a single storyline, and there's always conflict while they're teaching about something. Even with Global Grover, the 2 little segments that sandwich the film have plot to them. Elmo's World is about the many different way you can point something out. No conflict, no plot, just a bunch of hit or miss segments that go on too long and become repetitive.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I love Elmo. He's not my favorite, but I still love him.

The things I hate are how I Ask my smaller cousins who characters are and they don't know. In fact, they don't even know what Sesame Street is, they just refer to it as Elmo!

Well I can explain my own opinions, but they're just my own.

I do not hate Elmo, I actually think he's a great character, although most people who have heard my opinions think that I do.

I just don't like how Sesame Street seems to have become "the Elmo Show". Sesame Street was originally an ensemble show. Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Bert, Ernie, The Count, Oscar, Grover, etc were all equal stars and loved by everyone.

Elmo has been so pushed to the front so much that everyone else has been effectively down-graded, which is where the backlash comes in.

People wouldn't have so many negative things to say about Elmo if he were joining the more prominant characters instead of overshadowing him

quote]
I agree with this completely too. Elmo has overshadowed a bunch of character we love. I'm not saying we should burn him, but I think we should let Elmo calm down for a while...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I to would also love to read John Stone's memorie. I think if you really want to have a deeper understanding of who Elmo is read Kevin Clash's book, and watch the Documentary. I at first had a lot of the same views that a lot of people had that Elmo stole the spotlight and things. Now I see that Elmo really does love everyone and it helps kids who may not see true love on a regular basses that it is ok to say "I love you" and to mean it.
I think when i saw how passionate Kevin was and the fact that whenever any child makes a wish with the "Make a Wish Foundation" he stops everything that he is doing and helps grant that wish. Not only dose he let kids meet Elmo but he also hugs them himself and there parents and shows that he really cares deeply for the kids. To me that shows a lot and I have a lot of respect for both Elmo and Kevin for that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with this completely too. Elmo has overshadowed a bunch of character we love. I'm not saying we should burn him, but I think we should let Elmo calm down for a while...
Most of the problem stemmed from the fact that a lot of characters had yet to be recast, and Frank Oz wasn't quite as involved as he used to be... leaving a cast of Big Bird, Oscar, Telly, Baby Bear, Rosita, Snuffy, Zoe, and various other new characters that didn't quite stick. Elmo just came out on top because he was starting to get popular even in Jim's day, and that helped put him over the top. When the toy came out, then it slowly became the Elmo show... but with some focus on Ernie, since he had a not quite as successful toy the following year.

Things are slightly different now. Elmo does still take up a huge chunk of air time, but there's a swing back to focus on other characters. Especially Grover.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I to would also love to read John Stone's memorie. I think if you really want to have a deeper understanding of who Elmo is read Kevin Clash's book, and watch the Documentary. I at first had a lot of the same views that a lot of people had that Elmo stole the spotlight and things. Now I see that Elmo really does love everyone and it helps kids who may not see true love on a regular basses that it is ok to say "I love you" and to mean it.
I think when i saw how passionate Kevin was and the fact that whenever any child makes a wish with the "Make a Wish Foundation" he stops everything that he is doing and helps grant that wish. Not only dose he let kids meet Elmo but he also hugs them himself and there parents and shows that he really cares deeply for the kids. To me that shows a lot and I have a lot of respect for both Elmo and Kevin for that.
I agree. Getting to know Kevin through his book and the new documentary has changed my perception significantly. It's really special to see someone like him have a huge heart toward kids. He's genuine and it shows. Elmo may not be everyone's favorite Muppet, but that's ok. I don't think he's supposed to be all that appealing to adults. It definitely changed for me when I had kids. Elmo is just able to capture the heart of a child in a way that no other character has.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Elmo is just able to capture the heart of a child in a way that no other character has.
There are only a few Muppet children I can believe are children. Big Bird, Zoe, Artie (Dog City), Robin the Frog and Elmo. Possibly Snuffy. But indeed Elmo. That's why the character is so popular. A kid's character on a kid's show that's a kid. That's why most of the Cartoon Network cartoons featured kids... Dexter's Lab, Kids Next Door, Powerpuff Girls, Chowder... kids love to see kids because they relate to them.

Kevin is by far one of the most talented puppeteers out there. He disappears behind every character he plays, be it Clifford, Elliot Shagg (my favorite of his roster), Baby Sinclair, or Elmo. He makes those characters incredibly believable.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I agree. Getting to know Kevin through his book and the new documentary has changed my perception significantly. It's really special to see someone like him have a huge heart toward kids. He's genuine and it shows. Elmo may not be everyone's favorite Muppet, but that's ok. I don't think he's supposed to be all that appealing to adults. It definitely changed for me when I had kids. Elmo is just able to capture the heart of a child in a way that no other character has.
Have you seen Elmo on Late night with Jimmy Fallon? Elmo is so funny whenever he is on that show. Him and Jimmy have a interesting bond and it really shows.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you seen Elmo on Late night with Jimmy Fallon? Elmo is so funny whenever he is on that show. Him and Jimmy have a interesting bond and it really shows.
Yes! I love it when Elmo interacts with an adult only audience. It seems to bring out just a little bit of naughty that we normally wouldn't see on the Street. :laugh:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like when he's with Ricky Gervais...

RICKY: Elmo, do you know what necrophilia is?
ELMO: Where did you lose this interview?!