1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How can someone hate Elmo?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by JustinHoskie, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Too much of anything's annoying. I really hated when Disney forcefully marketed Winnie the Pooh over the characters Walt actually took credit for creating. The loveable character was lost in a sea of ugly old women sweatshirts and Pooh dressed up as one of the 101 Dalmatians plush toys. You literally couldn't even find Mickey at a Disney Store. But the projects (most of them anyway) made the character shine during that period.

I feel the same with Elmo. Sure, now they took the hint and we're seeing more Cookie Monsters, Ernies and Berts, and even Big Birds in our Sesame Street merchandise. Elmo does have a ubiquitous presence in the show still... but other characters are catching up.
    Duke Remington and galagr like this.
  2. mimitchi33 Member

I liked Elmo since I was a child!
    mo likes this.
  3. FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I like Elmo. I grew up with him and watched Elmo's World. I also watched Elmo in Grouchland and Cinderelmo both on VHS.
    Why would anyone hate this cute, furry, little red monster?

I don't know why people would post up many videos of evil Elmo on Youtube like these two.

That doesn't mean that Big Bird can't have the spotlight anymore.
    Big Bird and Elmo can share as the main characters of the show. Besides, Elmo will be loved by many future generations to come, as well as Big Bird. :laugh::wisdom:
    (No offense to any Old School Sesame Street fans. I like Old School, too.)
    Duke Remington likes this.
  4. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

*Old man voice*

Back in mah day, wen we didn' have any fanceh-danceh computehs, there was a street called Sesameh, where there lived a big bird named Big Bird... now, wen I wuz a youngen, Big Bird was everybody's first best friend... yes indeedy, everyday, I knew I'd be havin' fun with my best friend Big Bird... Big Bird was always there fer us, and he never forced his comp'neh on us...

Then that little red fur ball came along...
    mo and Hubert like this.
  5. Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I like Rocko, because it shows how in spite of what he thinks of Rocko, he's still a good friend to Zoe and will humor her.
  6. heralde Well-Known Member

But the problem is that's what has happened. ;)
  7. FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

:oops: Sorry about that.
    Sometimes, I have trouble with what I'm saying.correctly.
  8. heralde Well-Known Member

Oh you didn't say anything wrong. In a perfect world yes they could share the spotlight. That's just not the way they're choosing to play it.
  9. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Please do, I'd be very interested in reading that.
  10. MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Kevin Clash is a remarkable performer. I always enjoy Elmo OFF the Street more than on the Street, because Clash does so well in off-the-cuff interviews.

But to me, Elmo on Sesame Street represents the dumbing down of the show. He rose to popularity when everything started becoming politically correct and sterilized. "Oh, Cookie Monster is promoting unhealthy eating habits!" "Slapstick is bad because children will imitate it!" "Oscar is too mean!" So on and so forth.
  11. SSLFan Well-Known Member

Eh...I blame the writing. It's not like that can't write more Big Bird stories (or even insert skits...come on now) for him. Or...dare I say it...maybe "research" showed he wasn't a favorite anymore? I don't know. I guess it's the changing times I guess.

But yes, there was a time when Big Bird and Elmo shared the spotlight. Heck, there was a time when even though these two guys were considered SS's "main characters", everyone still got equal air time. That's what I miss.

And yes, overexposure is what annoyed most people about Elmo. Being a kid mostly from the EW generation, I liked the fact that prior to that, no character appeared in EVERY episode either. Even when Big Bird was popular, he wasn't even in every episode. That showed how much of an ensemble show SS was, and everyone one - Muppet and human - got fair play.

I like Elmo. Just in small doses.
  12. Mister Muppet Active Member

Im not a massive fan of elmo its not that i hate him i just think he's overexposed
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Kids basically like any character on the show. It almost feels like deep down, somehow someone's underestimating Carol Spinney's ability to perform Big Bird because of his age or something... but they had more Big Bird episodes this season than the last few. But for that matter, there's less and less Ernie and Bert as well. I wonder if the Muppets stuff gets in the way, but let's face it... Ernie and Bert were the FIRST of the Sesame Street Muppets, existing before the show did. Big Bird is iconic and all, but it seems the attention B&E get went to Germany.

Also, I noticed something... in the 70's and 80's there was a LOT of popularity for Grover. He shared his, but there were a LOT of kids books about him specifically.
  14. ProboSowa Member

I grew up on Elmo and loved him in the day, so I'll always be fond of the little guy. However I do understand why older generations are annoyed with his dominating presence, which is among the reasons why I think it's important to appreciate all of the characters.
  15. Convincing John Well-Known Member

Here you go. Just zip to the 4:35 mark and listen.

As for Caroll's ability to play the bird, he's told me in person and in interviews we've all seen "I'm going to keep doing it until I can't hold that bird's head up anymore." When my wife and I visited the set in May 2011, he was still very much active!

I too think the writers have something to do with more Elmo/less everyone else...
  16. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy, who haven't those people interviewed? Lol.

Yeah, there's been a lot rumors circulating as of late that Caroll hasn't physically been able to perform Big Bird hardly anymore, but I don't know if there's any truth to any of them; I DO know for a fact if any time Big Bird is roller skating, that definitely is Caroll, as Matt has said he draws the line at roller skating, and that's really the only thing that he can't do as Big Bird, so whenever Big Bird needs to roller skate, that certainly is Caroll.
  17. heralde Well-Known Member

Why would any of the other characters be favorites when the show went out of there way to down play them? I'd be highly skeptical of any such "research." Lol
  18. SSLFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've thought about that as well. Maybe he can perform Big Bird, but not as much as he used to? Compared to the physically demanding episodes of days past, not many episodes really call for Big Bird these days, so maybe that is good to Mr. Spinney's advantage? Still, we have Matt, so whatever episodes Caroll can't do, Matt could easily fill in. Like I said, it has to be a "writing/reasearch/ cirriculm thing" - whatever that may be.
  19. SSLFan Well-Known Member

*Sigh*...I too dislike what has happened to Bert & Ernie, with Steve being away and all. But that's topic for another time.

As far as Grover, does anyone see those Elmo-Grover debates? Like some fans feel Elmo replaced Grover as the "cute" monster on the show. Any Grover fans wanna elaborate on that?
  20. bouncingbabyfig Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I love Elmo. But maybe the reason he's been pushed to the front is because Kevin Clash is now the head puppeteer of Sesame Street that they gave him more time? Btw, What is necrophilia? I like when Elmo does interact with an adult audience also, you can sometimes hear Kevin start to laugh with his own voice because it shows he's having a great time.:laugh: