Ghostbusters (1984) returning to big screen for October 2011

Yorick

Reaction score
Though the 1st film on it's own is so amazing in the theater that I didn't miss the 2nd, I agree that it should've had a full release, and not just 3 showings a month on Thursdays. Also, it should've had more promotion...there were no TV ads. As for my own experience at the theater, I was glad there weren't many of us there, because I enjoyed it more that way. The film deserved better, but it was enjoyable for me that the place was empty. What a film!

By the way,I like the 2nd one well enough...it's just that the 1st film is a tough act to follow! But I wouldn't turn down a 2-for-1 deal with both films - you have a nice idea there! I wish they had put you in charge of the distribution and promotion!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
I saw the original something like 8 times in the theatre the summer it opened; it was my all-time fave for years afterwards. I'm content for now with my own dvd copy...there's something lovely about being able to control it as I watch!

-----------------

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Man, that scene with Winston and Ray is one of my all-time little pieces of dialogue.

"Every ancient religion has its own myth about the end of the world."
"Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead HAVE been rising from the grave?"
"...how 'bout a little music?"
"Yeah."

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what never fails to astound me? The fact that there's more merchandise related to the cartoon series (both of them) than there was for the live action movie... at least until the expensive and hard to come by Mattel collectors line.

Now we're seeing Stay Pufts, Slimers, and YES, even caricatured versions of the Ghostbusters themselves in plush form in crane games.

Yorick

Reaction score
You know what never fails to astound me? The fact that there's more merchandise related to the cartoon series (both of them) than there was for the live action movie... at least until the expensive and hard to come by Mattel collectors line.
It is strange - I wonder if it had anything to do with the same reason they couldn't really make the cartoon characters look too much like the film characters? (I forget why that was, anyway.)

Man, that scene with Winston and Ray is one of my all-time little pieces of dialogue.
Especially since I just saw it, I could see and hear that scene as I read the quote, and I totally agree. I can even hear the music that starts right after. Great stuff for sure, all of it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is strange - I wonder if it had anything to do with the same reason they couldn't really make the cartoon characters look too much like the film characters? (I forget why that was, anyway.)
I remember when Neca had the Ghostbusters license, and there was a huge problem getting the actor likenesses, and all we got out of it was various ghosts. But then again, I don't think Ghostbusters was meant to make that much merchandise as a film. Sure, there was that very bad video game, but I don't know how common place movie based action figures were back then. I know that action figure market was in dire straights until Playmates came up with the TMNT line...

And I guess that's what they were doing with the Real Ghostbusters line... trying to TMNT-ize the line up. I never liked those RGB toys... the fact they make them scream like Tex Avery characters is completely out of character. I mean, the Ghostbusters have a certain sense of "just doing our job"/"this can get hairy" courage. They didn't even flinch when they were up against pure evil in a baseball game with one of their souls on the line in "Night Game." I will say, I'm not liking the 20 dollar real cloth clothing doll-like action figures that came out of Mattel, though they are much more accurate. I wish I had the money to get them, but the Minimates look to be the best Real Ghostbuster toys out there. And this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of Minimates.

Yorick

Reaction score
SPECIAL REPORT:
Tonight is the last night you can (possibly) see this film near you on the big screen in a regular theater (that I know of). Good luck everyone! This site should tell you if it's playing near you when you click the link at the top of the page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/
So if it says "now playing" and "get showtimes" at the top on a yellow banner, then you may be in luck!