Farscape: Cancelled

beaker

Reaction score
>>>but apparently Sci-fi has also re-entered discussions to renew the show possibly as a mini-series. So there is still hope. Keep those phone calls coming<<<

Aw, the power of fans!

Though I have a few questions:

*Where is the rally of fans to bring Farscape reruns to regular tv?
It seems Farscape would have infinitely more fans if it could be viewed by everyone, not just people who have cable(this goes back to the Fraggle Rock debate)

*Where is the rally of the fans to have them make a movie?
think how mind blowingly cool Farscaoe would be on the big screen with a nice budget?

It's strange Farscape got cancelled, with a recent rise in its profile via a upcoming video game, nice monthly magazine, etc.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
A mini-series? Um, I dunno about anyone else, but I think that is kind of a direct blow to the stomachs of the fans (whether it was intentional or not is not really the point, btw). I mean, think about it:

"We're not taking your show back, but we will give you a nice lil' mini-series! How's that sound?"

Its like "We've got the ability to buy the CD that we know you all want, but instead were going to get 1 track. Cool?"

-Matt

AtlantaScaper

Reaction score
Hallo, thought I'd come to the source and see if there was any news. I think you can tell by my name why I'm here. (Although I think Kami is brilliant for Africa, ruddy brilliant.)

Anyway, to address a few points...

1) The reruns. We would LOVE to get reruns. But you don't get reruns until you get syndication, and you don't get syndication until you get 100 episodes. Sci Fi has so thoughtfully shut us down at 88.

2) A full blown movie has been mentioned, and yes, it would be great, but, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to someone who hasn't been following the series. At this point, however, we'll take what we can get.

3) Miniseries. Yup, and you should just SEE the patronizing message Sci Fi has for us at their Farscape page now. Grrrr...ah well. If they use it to at least try to get it to a reasonable conclusion...I guess we'll have to take it. We're trying for better, though.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst, I think you might say. We were hoping for a chat tonight, but the server was somewhat discombobulated. Where there's life, there's hope, and there's still 11 eps to go! Henson isn't giving up on us, and there's no way we're giving up on Henson!

Cat
www.atlantascapers.com

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Cat,

Actually, 100 is preferable, but series can go into syndication with only 88 episodes. Sliders has been run in daily reruns, and it only totals 88 episodes. In fact, Quantum Leap was sold after only 75 episodes. (Its final season added an additional 22 episodes to that number, close to but still not quite a full 100.) Ironically, Sci-Fi might have been more willing to consider going for another season of FS if they didn't have enough episodes. Because, at 88, they had just enough -- that was a factor in Sci-Fi deciding not to bother.

Because of the "Atlanta" in your name, I have to ask: have you been to Dragon*Con? I'm part of the staff that helped to run the Farscape programming for the last couple of years (though not this past year).

AtlantaScaper

Reaction score
Unfortunately a parental unit visitation stopped me from going. But I heard from several people who did go at the Farscape Rally the following weekend who said it was incredible. One guy (arg, I can't remember his name) also worked on it. Apparently the Farscape contributions to DragonCon are wonderful!

And excellent news about the syndication. Currently there's a branch of the Save Farscape campaign called "Free 88!" that is geared towards getting Sci Fi to release the previous 88 episodes along with the rest of the show. Showtime is looking like a good candidate, they've had a very good relationship with Sci Fi (Stargate SG-1, etc.), and so is UPN.

When I read this full thread, I was very touched by all the support for Farscape by everyone. I've been getting treated as one of those scary obsessed fans that get so much coverage at Star Trek and Star Wars conventions, so positive outlooks by non-Scapers is very much needed.

Brian Henson and Rockne O'Bannon have created something magical with Farscape, that carries on the tradition of such movies like The Dark Crystal (own it) and Labyrinth (own MUCH paraphernalia about and it) and the other wonderful things to come from Henson. My daughter adores Bear and we have more Fraggle books than I can count.

One of the things that is so aggravating about this entire scenario is the seeming underhanded and backstabbing way Sci Fi has gone about the entire thing. The reason became all too evident yesterday when they released an article about the "retooling" of Sci Fi. No more space based shows, no more hard fantasy. They're gearing it towards "science fiction based but more humanly identifiable shows" like Crossing Over, Fact or Fiction, The Dead Zone, etc. In fact, they're getting ready to heavily promote their new show Dream Team, which is about a team of dream analysts interpreting viewer dreams.

In other words, (to be snotty about it) it won't be Sci Fi anymore, it will be Lifetime for Nerds. (being a nerd, myself, this is not intended as an insult.)

I'm just waiting for them to offer a show to Miss Cleo and Dionne Warwick. *sigh*

/rant off

Sorry for the length, but as I said, it's marvellous to have a support that's not solely consisting of Scapers as a sounding board.

Thanks again,
Cat

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Thank you Captain Chapman, I enjoyed reading this FAQ. Here are my thoughts:

I really would like to believe all the friendly, "were so sorry to see ya go" stuff that was posted there, but frankly, there is too much back-patting in the answers to have a good standing with me. Now granted I don't know much about the series, the ratings and whatnot, but I do know this; when there is that much pleasantry in a letter regarding a subject that negitively affects a large amount of people, there is amost always an underbelly of evil. I sense that in this case.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe Sci-Fi is totally saddened by ending of their most popular series, but I just can't believe it. I'm going to be very sad tomorrow when the sets come crashing down, and in its honor, I will wear red. I feel very bad now, so I will go lie down and read some comic books.

-Matt

AtlantaScaper

Reaction score
Personally, to use Farscaperisms, it's a load of frelling dren. I think it's pretty obvious what the slang means. :wink:

However, this is a serious matter, considering that Skiffy (Sci Fi) thinks we're all idiots.

That being the case, I went through the FAQ and presented my thoughts on it question by question in what I hope was a logical and methodical manner.

It's hideously long, so I didn't want to post it here, instead, I put it at my site. You can get to it by going here:

www.atlantascapers.com/scififaq.html

There was a chat with David Kemper, and to a lesser degree, Rick Berman last night. DK is tired, worn out, and heartsick. I can't blame him. They've done all they can do. We have to get at least 60 Neilsen families to watch Farscape when it comes on in January, and watch it consistently. If we get a 2.0 in the ratings, I think other networks will negotiate to continue Farscape. If we don't, then the entire series ends with the Season 4 cliffhanger. (Farscape seasons always end with hellacious cliffhangers).

Many, many Scapers are very disheartened by the chat last night. They were expecting a rah rah rally the troop kind of thing, and got the exact opposite. But the way I see it, it's our turn to inspire Kemper & Co, not the other way around.

I know a lot of you here love him, so drop an email his way and tell him what a great guy he is, tell him he's doing a great job and to not give up. I think he needs it. I think they all need it.

Thanks again, ya'll.

Cat

2.0 in 2003!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, although I'm not in the Neilson family, I am in the Charles family, and we will be watching in 03 garunteed (little joke there...yes, I know about the Neilson ratings and whatnot). I mean, I think its a fun show, but I was never a huge crazed maniac over it. I shall watch for those who are, and for Brian Henson. He must be a very sad man at this point. :frown:

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Why Sci Fi doesnt like you(the viewer)

I'm so grateful for the new Sci Fi FAQ, as now we can all laugh and make fun of Sci Fi higher ups.

Let's rip this apart shall we...

>>>Q: How can you call Farscape a "beloved show" and still cancel it?

A: Despite what many seem to believe, those who work at SCI FI Channel truly love Farscape.<<<<

That's why they pulled a Enron World com and suddenly yanked the carpet out on their baby?

>>>Q: Didn't you hurt the ratings by changing Farscape's time period?

A: Farscape was moved to the 10pm spot in the hopes that new SCI FI viewers tuning into the debut of Stargate SG-1 would stay around to sample Farscape and become hooked on the show<<<

Nice political dodging there. Basically, what they dont want to outright say is "yeah, we messed up big time"

>>>Q: Why won't SCI FI Channel release Farscape to another network? Wouldn't that save the show?

A: SCI FI has not been approached to release Farscape to another network. From what we understand, despite efforts otherwise, there was no deal possibility for the show at any other network.<<<

I can answer why...because Sci Fi has a if I cant have it noone will. Most shows move from another network TO Sci Fi.(like Sliders did) However, Stargate SGI-1 is on regular tv late at night. Why cant sci Fi start showing the first season on say UPN, WB, or Fox late at night? If they did, they would open up a HUGE new untapped market. Not everyone has cable. And it would sure beat the pants off those relic hunting busty agent xena clones.

>>>Q: Have the sets been destroyed?

A: Although they were initially scheduled to be struck during the week of September 9, SCI FI Channel requested a reprieve as any possibility of saving the series was explored. Unfortunately, we understand that the sets will now be struck by Friday, September 20<<<

Wow...I'd love to hear what cast members and Brian Henson himself thinks of all this Farcsape being cancelled business.

As for the sets being destroyed...since the fans WERE sci fi, not so much the sci fi higer ups it seems, they should auction off the pieces, or sell to another network to continue it, or something.
Send em to Creature Shop, etc.