Farscape: Cancelled

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I was never a big Farscape fan, but have always been supportive of the show because of its relation to JHC<<<

If it had been on regular tv I would been a huge fan, but the little Ive seen I like it...and beyond that it has to be the best genre sci fi small screen stuff out there. And yes, its relation to JHC.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of having it just go to another channel. Here is my thought:

TNN. Anyone who has been in the entertainment "know" for the last couple of months knows TNN is straying from their country music roots (sorry Byron) and becoming a more eclectic network, showcasing a wide array of shows (I found out because they will be showing a new version of "Ren and Stimpy," which is rock and roll). I think they should snatch up this golden oppertunity while they have the chance! I mean, their ratings will be high as it is from R&S fans, as well as fans of the many other cool shows they will be airing, and to have Farscape in their line-up...they will be set for life. I think this is a very real and good option for the show as well.

Thoughts?

-Matt

matleo

Reaction score
hey gang,
quick update. Was reading the talkbacks at AICN (soemthign I rarely do) and caught a link to a chat transcrip with Anthony Simcoe in which he had the following to say....

"as far as I know Sci Fi wants it - It's EM that sunk it"

At the end of the teranscript the moderator added the following...

"According to Anth it's EM TV (who owns Henson) who pulled out of financing Farscape because of financial problems. SciFi then cancelled the show because they didn't want to take on any further financing as they are in financial trouble as well.

We MUST write to EM TV as well as keep writing to SciFi/Vivendi.

EM.TV & Merchandising AG
Betastr. 11
D-85774 Unterföhring

Telefon: +49 (0) 89 995 00-0
Fax: +49 (0) 89 995 00-111

email: info@em-ag.de

more details at: http://farscape.wdsection.com"

For the full transcript here's the link:

http://community.spacecast.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001147

So, we have the layoffs of the NY workshop and the sale of the townhouse, Brian Henson stepping down as CEO, the cancellation of Farscape...Hold tight gang, I have a feeling this isn't going to get better.

--Matt

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
I say leave EMTV out of this for now. We need to get SciFi to get the show back fast! A multi-front war may not get what we want done quick enough.

I read today that Anthony Simcoe (D'Argo) reportedly said they dismantled the Pilot character already. Again, this is not confirmed.

And back to EMTV: Again, allegedly, because they are still floundering, they wanted to get more money from the episodes, but the show has been costing more money each season. SciFi/USA Network's parent company hasn't been doing well, and they want more money too. Brian Henson has negotiated all summer long to at least get a 13 episode 5th season to create a real ending to the show, npt a cliffhanger ending like the season 4 ending will likely be.

SciFi's voicemail box is currently full, and their fax machine seems to have stopped working. ^_^ I think all parties involved will find what a mistake has been made come tomorrow morning.

DirthNader

Reaction score
I have a question, though admitedly I know little about the affair. Could this change have anything to do with the sale of JHC and or the resignation of Brian Henson of the position of Chairman of the affore mentioned company?

It seems as though there is a risk of losing JHC forever. Am I worrying for no reason or could I be onto something, here?

Please let me know, those of you who no doubt have more insight into the particulars than I have :frown:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Wow. At first I thought this might be a hoax -- Farscape is (was?) their most popular show, and I knew they already had it in their contract to go through
Season 5. But so far as I can tell, this is all legit. Of course SFC would create a loophole for themselves. Probably FS's ratings were hurt after the network took the show off the air with no new episodes for EIGHT MONTHS. What were they thinking?

So once again a show I like is cancelled before its time. And WHY am I supposed to care about watching SFC
again?

All of the above was written before I read the most recent posts, so now I'd like to add this: I disagree with the idea that we should leave EM.TV out of this. If they're the ones unwilling to finance the show, then it's not SFC's fault at all. We've got to talk to the money people. Let's definitely get the word out to EM.TV (who are once again not endearing themselves to me). But PLEASE keep in mind what D.W. and others have said -- express disappointment but be polite!!! They won't listen otherwise. (Why should they?)

This is insane. The show was popular and got acclaim. It won major Saturn awards and has been nominated for Emmys. There are novels and comics and action figures -- heck, a computer game just came out. But of course, the tradition of "Every show I like has to be cancelled before its time" continues. Meanwhile, a bad sci-fi show like Star Trek: Voyager (even hardcore Trek fans hate it) somehow thrives in the ratings and stays on the air for a very healthy seven years. Where's the justice?

Granted, this season wasn't very good, IMHO, in comparison with other seasons. But even a weak Farscape is still better than most other shows. And there were a few bright spots, so I was anticipating that things could get better (especially with that corker cliffhanger two weeks ago). At any rate, networks never cancel a show because of lack of quality. It's either a lack of ratings or a show that costs too much to produce.

I should note that the episode that aired two weeks ago was NOT the final episode. SFC still has 11 episodes of Season 4 to begin airing in January, and those episodes will probably last us till about April or so. It is heartening to hear that the cast/crew hopes to give the story a proper finale in some form, whether it be in the much talked about movie or whatever. Most of the shows I've liked have ended with cliffhangers that have never been resolved.

I feel bad for everyone involved right now, but especially Brian. As Phil said, this show was his baby. Even Anthony Simcoe mentioned how hard Brian fought for it. It's a shame.

At any rate, let's keep up the efforts to let SFC and EM.TV know. There are a LOT of unhappy fans out there right now expressing their opinion, so this story may not be over yet!

UncleDeadly

Reaction score
The reason I say dont focus to much on EMTV is because David Kemper, head producer of Farscape, has said not to. He says it was SciFi's decision to not order any more eps. Although other forces influenced it, they have the say. If they order more, more get made.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Is there any reason why TNN (or any other station for that matter) can't start ordering episodes now that the contract with Sci-Fi is broken?

-Matt

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by UncleDeadly
The reason I say dont focus to much on EMTV is because David Kemper, head producer of Farscape, has said not to. He says it was SciFi's decision to not order any more eps. Although other forces influenced it, they have the say. If they order more, more get made.
Yeah it appears now it is more a Sci-Fi decision although EMTV had something to do with it and caused problems somewhat. DW has posted what he now hears are the full and true version of events over at Toughpigs - the link to the thread is :- http://forums.delphiforums.com/toughpigs/messages?msg=851.16

Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Is there any reason why TNN (or any other station for that matter) can't start ordering episodes now that the contract with Sci-Fi is broken?
Theoretcally no there isn't. However, Sci-Fi would still own the rights to the first 88 episodes and so any company making new ones wouldn't see any profit for a long, long time - in todays TV climate this makes it very unlikely.

Originally posted by Chilly Down
It's either a lack of ratings or a show that costs too much to produce.
Yup, it's because the show costs more to produce than most others. It has nothing to do with the ratings - the recent programming block Farscape was put in gave them some of the highest ratings ever.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
I just found this article:

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?27977

-------------

'Farscape' Journey Comes to an End
Mon, Sep 9, 2002 11:24 AM PDT

by Kate O'Hare
Zap2it

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - After a roller-coaster ride of e-mails, calls and last-minute financial negotiations, Sci Fi Channel's "Farscape" is officially over.

The series, currently on broadcast hiatus, is due to return in January with the remainder of its fourth-season episodes, but those will be its last. Created by Rockne O'Bannon, it stars American actor Ben Browder as a U.S. astronaut propelled through a wormhole into the far reaches of space, where he forms an alliance with a group of alien fugitives.

Over the last couple of weeks, executive producer Brian Henson of The Jim Henson Company, and Hallmark Entertainment -- the producing partners in "Farscape" -- had been negotiating with Sci Fi Channel in hopes of striking a deal for a fifth season. But with the series' ratings in decline -- in contrast to the rising ratings of "Stargate SG-1," which joined "Farscape" on the Friday-night schedule this summer after several seasons on Showtime -- the cost of continuing production in Australia proved prohibitive.

On Friday, Sept. 6, executive producers David Kemper and Richard Manning, and series star Ben Browder, entered the official Sci Fi Channel chat room and revealed the cancellation directly to fans.

In part, Kemper wrote, "Tuesday will be the last time Ben dons the uniform of Commander John Crichton. We are all hugely sad. I am shaking as I write this. Yesterday, we all cried on the set. ... Being just the people who make the show and not the corporate entities that fund and air it, we are as helpless as anyone. And we are sad. And we are shattered. And we are sorry."

Kemper, Manning and Browder continued to speculate with fans on the future of the show, but didn't seem hopeful about the series finding a new home anywhere else.

Sources at Sci Fi Channel expressed extreme regret about losing the series, which had many strong supporters within the network. In a statement, Sci Fi said, "There are no bigger fans of 'Farscape' than here at Sci Fi Channel. It was one of Sci Fi's first original series and quickly became a critical and fan favorite. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to reach a broader audience, 'Farscape' has been unable to grow beyond its core fan-base."

"That, coupled with the extreme and growing cost of production, has led to the difficult decision to end the series at the conclusion of season four."

In addition to the remaining new episodes, "Farscape: Season 3" is due for home-video and DVD release in 2003, joining the previous two seasons already available.