Does the Star Trek odd/even movie rule apply to the Muppets?

TML

Reaction score
I agree with matleo, I have always felt of the three classic films that MTM was the weakest. Not as funny or puppety and not enough of the other Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MCC and MTI both have some very strong points, but because they're adaptations where the characters PLAY characters it takes a little of the fun out. However, a lot of the camera work in tose films is awesome and being able to utilize the studios and raised up sets gives them a lot of latitude they hadn't been able to use before. The costume design in those two fils are brilliant. And I think MCC is some of Jerry Nelson's BEST work!! Dave also does a great job with the narrative in MCC and Steve gets some real nice stuff in with Kermit in MTI.
I always thought MCC was a good movie, a good Christmas movie, a well written and directed movie, but not that great of a Muppet movie due to the prolonged interaction between humans. It's like... Fozzie comes up and says, "I got a rubber chicken factory! Now here's a long musical interlude between Scrooge and the girl that he lost!" If it wasn't for Gonzo and Rizzo hosting the thing, I'd swear it was just a Henson Creature Shop re-envisioning of Christmas Carol with Muppet guest stars. A well done creature shop movie, but not a Muppet movie. I love the Ghost of Christmas Present, but the OTHER ghosts should have been a lot more Muppety. MTi was far superior, if only because the new Muppet pirate characters made the film. Though I still wish they got a less effeminate Jim Hawkins. One that isn't an alto.

MFS.....well, when I walked out of it, I never cared if I ever aw another Muppet Movie again. I figured form that point on I would just enjoy the great work that had been done and let it be what it was.
MFS suffered from a labored script, forced Sci-Fi theme (1999: If you weren't copying/referencing Star Wars, you had "All Star" in the soundtrack), and above all, a hack director. I take it back. A FUTURE hack director. This was his first outing not doing anything for Nickelodeon. And in years to come, he would make bad, barely successful kid's movies. What's it mean when your masterwork is Alvin and the Chipmunks? You know what will make a Muppet movie poor? Give it to someone who thinks eating fecal matter in children's movies is high art (Alvin's "raisin" scene and Hop's protagonist crapping jelly beans). Joey was ticked off at how the director ruined the best parts of the movie, and I'm gonna side with him. But it was probably a bad idea to do a sci-fi movie in the first place.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
((I'm putting this in Headlines cause it has to do with the newest movie; wasn't sure where else to put it.))
I moved this thread to the "Classic Muppets" since it deals mostly with the first six films.

Thanks for starting the discussion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MTM is the weak one for me. It's a Kermit movie with other Muppets in it, so it's hard ot think of as a "Muppet" movie.
That honestly never bothered me. It's not about quantity of screentime but the quality. And MTM has so much emotion and heart between all the Muppet characters it's incredible. And the sort of quasi love triangle between Kermit, Piggy and Jenny really gave the movie a sophisticated edge (while still retaining the silly of course, hehe).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
These figures were discussed earlier on the Muppet Mindset

1st movie TMM did the best
2nd movie GMC fared 2nd best
3rd movie MTM fared 3rd best
5th movie MTI fared 4th best
4th movie MCC fared 5th best
6th movie MFS fared 6th best

I predict that the 7th move, considering the inflation adjustments, will at least be the second best-performing Muppet movie.