Does the Star Trek odd/even movie rule apply to the Muppets?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
((I'm putting this in Headlines cause it has to do with the newest movie; wasn't sure where else to put it.))

Most people know about the odd/even rule when it comes to Star Trek movies; when you look at the first ten it's generally accepted that the even numbered ones are better and/or more succesful (though of course this can be debated). I think it can be applied to the muppets too...

If you look at the six theatrical muppet movies, TMM, GMC, MTM, MCC, MTI, MFS, I overwhelmly prefer the odd numbered ones. Seeing as the new movie will be number seven, do you think this means good things?

Feel free to debate this rule and tell me you like all the opposite ones or something; I want to know what you guys think. :big_grin:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Actually, I think the first three pwn the other three, though IMHO, GMC is the best, while numbers 1 and 3 are good. I'm a big fan of Rainbow Connection and He'll Make Me Happy, but other than a few key scenes, they just seem like movies to me with Muppets in it. To me, GMC is ultra-classic Muppets. The thing with the last three is that they're sort of like 1 and 3 ... some neat scenes do not great movies make. On the other hand ... MTI has Tim Curry in it, which gives it lots of extra credit points. The guy is a Muppet in human disguise, LOL.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree to that too. The first three movies, all of them, are just... they're just incredible. MCC tries hard and it's a good Christmas movie but it's lacking... MTI is wonderful and overcomes the handicap MCC had with focusing on only humans and new characters. MFS, while I like the direction of the characters playing themselves, and the role of Pepe and the newer characters, it just fell apart due to bad direction and an overly labored script. I assume you're not counting the Sesame Street movies or the DTV's. FTB was marvelous, EIG was good at points, but suffered from trying to be interactive....VMX suffers from dated 2002 pop culture referencing but is a very good TV special in spite of that, KSY I haven't seen and heard bad things about, and MOz was a trainwreck.

It's not the even odd thing... it's more of a direction, lacking vision thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The odd/even rule when it comes to Star Trek movies...that the even numbered ones are better and/or more succesful (though of course this can be debated).
No it's pretty much true, lol. I'm saying this as a life long Trekkie. :wink:

If you look at the six theatrical muppet movies, TMM, GMC, MTM, MCC, MTI, MFS, I overwhelmly prefer the odd numbered ones. Seeing as the new movie will be number seven, do you think this means good things?
Well for the original three Muppet films, yeah actually I do prefer the odds (though GMC does have its moments too). But I'm not a big fan of the rest of the films, even or odd. So ::shrugs:: You're guess is as good as mine! Lol

beaker

Reaction score
I'm odd. I am not big on Empire Strikes Back, but I LOVE Return of the Jedi(saw it when it first came out to theaters, so I may be biased) and Revenge of the Sith.
I also love the new Star Trek but dislike the Next Generation films

Muppet theatrical films, I LOVE the Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan like nobody's business. I'm not big on GMC, and am not very keen on MCC or MTI. MFS I actually have grown to like, and I love the first act.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, I honestly prefer GMC to MTM. And also, in the UK, MCC is actually the 'go to' film for Muppet memories for almost all of my generation. They'll have seen that one, even if they've seen nothing else.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like all of them, but it'll be a cold cold day before I recognize MupOz for anything besides the Quentin Tarantino cameo. HE should have directed the thing.

TML

Reaction score
I think that GMC is the pinnacle of the Muppets for sure. Best songs, biggest dance routines, and the most Muppets in meaty roles rather than cameos. Best jokes too. Fantastic!

matleo

Reaction score
I think the answer here is to each their own. For me, I think the first Muppet Movie is one of the most personal things Jim ever did and I think every thing that he wanted people to get out of the Muppets is in THAT movie. Consequently it set the standard for the other films.

Caper is the funniest of the Muppet films and also the one that makes the most use of the various characters. It is actually my all time favorite film.

MTM is the weak one for me. It's a Kermit movie with other Muppets in it, so it's hard ot think of as a "Muppet" movie.

MCC and MTI both have some very strong points, but because they're adaptations where the characters PLAY characters it takes a little of the fun out. However, a lot of the camera work in tose films is awesome and being able to utilize the studios and raised up sets gives them a lot of latitude they hadn't been able to use before. The costume design in those two fils are brilliant. And I think MCC is some of Jerry Nelson's BEST work!! Dave also does a great job with the narrative in MCC and Steve gets some real nice stuff in with Kermit in MTI.

MFS.....well, when I walked out of it, I never cared if I ever aw another Muppet Movie again. I figured form that point on I would just enjoy the great work that had been done and let it be what it was.

As for the new movie, I'm REALLY super excited about it and I really want this to be great not just for me, but for them. We've all seen the Pizza Hut commercials, the cage dancing Scooters, the Disney channel specials, the odd non-Steve Kermit appearances, and the Cat Cora things and we've seen how bad it can get. But we've also seen Bohemian Rhapsody and the other videos, and the stuff on the website and the return of beloved characters and we know it can still be good. So here's to hoping.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
im actually watching GMC on showtime as a write this...i love all muppet movies good and bad...yea ive been disappointed but ill stand behind my first fanbase till the end.

to me GMC is the stand out whenever im in the mood for a Muppet movie its the one i always reach for first. close second is MTM and muppet movie is always a Classic in my book