1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phillip, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Only with bad directors. That was the main problem of the completely screwed up Last Airbender movie. For someone who claimed their a fan, they forgot the show had moments of lightness to it. Everyone in the film acts like someone just died in front of their eyes for 90 minutes. The film was basically a Harmony Gold dub of the cartoon series. Harmony Gold, you see, would shove entire anime series into 80 minute DTV movies and link everything together with tedious long narration to connect all the plot holes that cutting a TV series to 90 minutes causes. And it wouldn't have been so bad if M. Night Shabbadoo gave the film to someone who knew how to direct an action film... or someone who knew how to direct period.

Serious acting doesn't call for wooden directing. There are some parts of the original movie that seem to run the gamut from wooden to hammy, but they found a balance as the series progressed. But even when it was like that, it wasn't quite as obvious. The movies still had an amount of fun to them, and that could be overlooked. Long tedious bits of plot expo, wooden acting and cheesy lines stick out.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I'm willing to believe that. There are many actors that I always dismissed as hopeless until I saw them in a movie that was actually well executed, then I was shocked to see they did know how to act! Lol
  3. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

I don't understand why there's controversy. Disney has handled the Muppets fairly well. Obviously, I have my reservations, but that new movie of there's worked out pretty ok. ;)

No one can screw up Star Wars better than George Lucas. Anyone remember the Star Wars Christmas Special? Remember the re-releases of Star Wars? Remember Star Wars, Episodes I, II, and III? Remember Hayden Chrstiansan as Darth Vader?!
  4. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Hayden Chistiansan as Darth vader?!?! "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
  5. Drtooth

To be fair, he absolutely hated that one. And for the guy behind Jar Jar Binks to hate something, you KNOW something's terrible. And the worst part is, it's all in canon.

That said, it's not the only dopey Star Wars related thing that Lucas hated. This one he didn't even create...Jaxxon The green Bugs Bunny knockoff. So, things aren't always so great outside his hands, either.
  6. Drtooth

Okay, I'm totally not happy about the next film now:

They're planning to bring back Darth Vader instead of giving us an actual story.

Yeah, the character had a face heel turn that was integral to the ending of the franchise. To essentially turn it into a revenge plot movie actually sounds worse than anything Lucas ever did.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Wait. How is Darth Vader coming back? He died already!
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

But what if Episode 7 is there way of throwing something out there just to put something out there, ala, MWoO rather than their putting something out there from love and passion ala The Muppets?
  9. Drtooth

MwoO was done under Henson. Possibly rushed out by Disney, but completely conceived under the original parent company.

Exactly. There's no reason for him to come back. Coming back from the dead? There's a reasonable doubt there. But coming back from the dead after a face heel turn to become a bad guy again? That's just ... well... dumb. Unless it's someone taking on the mantle of Darth Vader, which still makes no sense. And they're getting the original cast back? They're kinda... well... old. That never goes well. There are hundreds of stories that can be told after the fall of the empire. Retelling the same story isn't needed.
  10. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I don't blame Disney for wanting Vader back in the mix. He's so iconic! They'll probably have Yoda there too in some sort of astral-projection sense in keeping with the cannon.

If this is true and they do bring back Darth Vader, I doubt it will be Anakin. A new sith will likely be donning the suit and maybe the name. Heck, it could even end up being Luke! That kind of makes the most sense considering the connection and any fan of the Batman Animated Series can attest to how wonderful Hamil can be as a villain. He's a jedi and such a calling is likely to be a tough and lonely one for anyone. Heck, maybe he watched the Christmas special. That could turn someone to the dark side. I'm not saying this is the case, but it makes sense. I'm game for something creative like that. Something that gets the original cast in the mix. It's a better direction than they took the prequel trilogy. The best way this is done is to take a bit from what came before to launch things into a new direction.

This is and always has been a space soap opera.
  11. Drtooth

The thing is, this does bring up why prequels were chosen over sequels. It's not so much the story was bad, it was all the story telling. All the elements were there, just lost due to bad direction. If it was an expanded universe comic or novel, it would have worked better. Bringing back Vader and an aged version of the classic cast (remember what everyone always says when that happens) is nothing more than brand recognition. It's iconic, sure... but something tells me it's going to be "Star Wars episode 6.5: We have to fight Vader Again" instead of a true episode 7 that picks up the series where it should, well after the events of the first series of films. Preferably with all new characters in a well established new government.

Now, it is too early to fully dismiss this film, but if I want to see Luke, Han, and Leia fight Darth Vader again, I'll just watch the original trilogy again. What's an absolute joke is that they vowed that they'll ignore the expanded universe and give us a Star Wars we've never seen before. The old cast and Vader again? That's exactly what we've seen before.
  12. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I think they're throwing out so much information to confuse us. I just can't draw your stark conclusions from these vague rumors. Commerce and art can coexist. Either way, this film will make a lot of money its opening weekend.
  13. Drtooth

Someone on Comic Book resources posted an editorial on it... I can't so much say I was at a loss of words, but this guy conveyed what I was thinking better than I could...

The only way they would be able to not undo the ending of the last movie was to have someone clumsily take on the mantle of Darth Vader, and at best that sounds like a side story, comic book mini-arc, or an episode of a cartoon series. Not a 2 hour movie.

Also, Cracked had some good points and number one is exactly the same as what the CBR editorial said... only 3 years earlier without knowledge that a next one will be made. A sequel done the way Disney wants will either undo the ending of ROTJ, or seem like something tacked on. A mission pack sequel at worst.

Now, I'm not going to say it couldn't be a popcorn movie. It'll probably be enjoyable on some level. Just, you can't expect the same thing to work with the Muppets or characters that never had a massive continuity canon. You can literally make any Muppet movie you can that will have all the classic characters But if you're talking about a movie that had a coherent optimistic ending back in 1983, reintroducing long dead characters who redeemed themselves to have a double turn back... that's going to do some serious story damage. Among other things, C3-PO and R2-D2 walked off into the sunset, essentially leaving the main cast behind, to find another adventure... why not pick it up from there?
  14. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

15. Drtooth

I really hope it is. brand recognition is one thing, but the story should start out fresh, with C3-PO and R2-D2 continuing on their journey. I'd want to see a current Darth Vader as much as I'd want to see a film about Jaxxon.
  16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think we all an can agree that a Max Reebo film would be the best step.
  17. MrBabySpencer

18. MrBabySpencer

19. MrBabySpencer

20. MrBabySpencer