"Bloody" in Treasure Island!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I read this on IMDB:

"After complaints about the cinema version, the BBFC removed all occurances of the word "bloody" from Muppet Treasure Island to retain the U-certificate on video."

So, when did they say this in the movie?

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
ahem *cleares throat* and I quote, "How does she Bloody do that?!" -Billy Bones :big_grin: I knew my muppet knowledge would come in handy one day!

Beauregard said:
I read this on IMDB:

"After complaints about the cinema version, the BBFC removed all occurances of the word "bloody" from Muppet Treasure Island to retain the U-certificate on video."

So, when did they say this in the movie?

CousinLuke

Reaction score
How did they remove bloody from MTI? That might be humorous too watch. It would be like an episode of Jerry Springer. "Where's the -beep- map?" To remove the sceans or lin es that say bloody would take away the whole movie when Billy Bones is in the film.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
How bad is the word "bloody" in Englanbd? In America, it isn't bad at all, because o one uses it here. lol!

"Where's the bloody treasure?!?!?!?"
"There is no treasure! It was all a clever ruse! Ha!"

Muppet Treasure Island is one of the best, isn't it? :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
How bad is the word "bloody" in Englanbd? In America, it isn't bad at all, because o one uses it here. lol!

"Where's the bloody treasure?!?!?!?"
"There is no treasure! It was all a clever ruse! Ha!"

Muppet Treasure Island is one of the best, isn't it? :smile:
Actually, now you mention it, I believe that here in England we have: How does she bloomin' do that.

And: Where is the blasted Treasure (In fact I know it is that here.)

Thijs

Reaction score
Long John Silver uses the word very much. What a bloody nonsense that they want to ban that bloody word. A true pirate uses bloody in every bloody sentence.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So, did they get the actors back to re-dub the lines for England? Since Bloody is replaced by Blooming and Blasted?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never understood that "Bloody" was a swear. mayhaps a light swear like D**n and H*** are here in the states, but I Have heard it on a lot of kid's shows here. On Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiago, the Cheif said, "I was stuck with that Bloody British accent."

anathema

Reaction score
Bear in mind that these changes were made several years ago when the British censors were a bit more uptight :smile: The guidelines have been relaxed considerably in the last few years, so it's a shame that Disney didn't resubmit the original cut of the film for the DVD release - it might have been allowed to pass this time...

That said, the word evidently has a stronger meaning in the UK than the US - I notice that it's not being censored by this forum, whereas a number of other words (which I can't say here!) that are considered to be very mild in the UK aren't permitted.

Beau - while it's not impossible that Tim Curry and Billy Connolly were asked to redub the lines, it's not likely. Redubbing for TV or video is very common, and will normally be done by hiring a soundalike voice artiste. Sometimes it's painfully obvious that it's not the original actor speaking! On the other hand, it's better than cutting footage...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't stand when they are screamingly obvious.

Look at telivised versions of Roger Rabbit. The gorilla bouncer says "Wise a**" in the original in a low pitched booming voice, but was redubbed "Wise Guy" in a more nasil, wormier sounding voice.