"Bloody" in Treasure Island!

anathema

Reaction score
"Titanic" was screened on BBC1 a few weeks ago, starting before the watershed. All language prior to 9pm was altered or cut, anything after 9pm was left alone...

But what really gets up my nose is when a broadcaster decides to cut a show so that it can be shown in an earlier slot! BBC2 is a bugger for doing this with "Buffy", and C4 did much the same the first time it ran "Angel". The last time UKGold ran "Quantum Leap", they did so at 6pm, and hacked several episodes to shreds in order to remove 'objectionable' content...not to mention dropping at least three shows entirely. ITV ran the series "The Visitor" a few years ago...at 4 in the afternoon! The cuts they made to suit this timeslot rendered the entire thing an incomprehensible mess.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well these ain'tobvious. If it wasn't pointed out I wouldn't know. Mind you I have always thought that Billy Conolly is teribala and liable to end up with a sour throut after that scene, maybe it was just the re-dubber!!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
There's a lot in movies that gets re-dubbed, a lot of times. Too many times! lol! It's nice to be able to read lips in this respect. Though I don't understand why it doesn't work with Muppet characters. :smirk: :stick_out_tongue:

anathema

Reaction score
turlem said:
what version is edited?
All home video releases of MTI in the UK have the above dialogue changes. I don't know if this also applies to TV screenings of the movie. The movie was shown uncut in cinemas.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Well what about

Well what about Harry Potter? was that not filmed and casted by people in england? and Ron Wesly says "Bloody He**" a whole heck of alot, even like people have said before, HE** is a bad word here in the states, even though it is becoming wildly used here (I mean, just look at Shrek, I LOVE shrek to death, but when I was little, my mom would have fliped, I had a vary protective parents) but just curious if they bleeped out Harry Potter also. :concern:

anathema

Reaction score
Krazedmuppet said:
Well what about Harry Potter? was that not filmed and casted by people in england? and Ron Wesly says "Bloody He**" a whole heck of alot, even like people have said before, HE** is a bad word here in the states, even though it is becoming wildly used here (I mean, just look at Shrek, I LOVE shrek to death, but when I was little, my mom would have fliped, I had a vary protective parents) but just curious if they bleeped out Harry Potter also. :concern:
As I said earlier, things have changed a lot since 1996! I wouldn't be at all surprised if the BBFC would now pass MTI uncut. The point is that Disney didn't even bother to ask, they just grabbed the same version that was put out on VHS back in '96.

Over here, the 'h-word' does not have anything like the strength of meaning it apparently has in the US. In any event, it used to be the case that there were only two words that couldn't be said on British television, but that's changed in recent years. The bottom line is that we censor for different things: here, the censor tends to cut more for violence; in the US cuts are made for language.

The BBFC is only responsible for cinema and home video censorship, btw. TV companies apply their own judgement.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
mupvisiongirl said:
ahem *cleares throat* and I quote, "How does she Bloody do that?!" -Billy Bones :big_grin: I knew my muppet knowledge would come in handy one day!
Yep. "How does she bloody do that?" was on ABCs version. I was trying to think whether they kept that word in or not? I think they did change when he said "bloody treasure," to just "Where's the treasure?" I'm not sure though. I'll have to watch my tape of that when I have time. I also, should point out that Long John also said "da**" and "he**" a few times. ABC kept a few of those in.