Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
It's an unfortunate representation of our culture when we have people obsessing over the sexuality of a couple of puppets.

beaker

Reaction score
Why? Because of Richard?
Nope. Because it's pretty clear Scooter's been in the closet way too long. Just subtle and not so subtle things about Scooter from the original Muppet show to later on. Heck, I mean Scooter cage dancing in that outfit was pretty much the writers saying "yep".

Three words: Sylvester Stallone Episode:smile:
(just look at how Scooter is pretty much tripping over himself at Stallone's physique:
6:35 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0puzAX_J74 )

Scooter did get really excited when Elton John came on
Heh, pretty much anytime there was a big broadway star or beefcake, Scooter was practically swooning.

I don't understand why people would have a problem if they made him clearly gay. We have Zoot who is revealed to be Jewish, Clifford who is portrayed as black, Statler and Waldorf portrayed as elderly white men, tis good to have variety.
Scooters demeanor is tender, helpful...whereas Link, Pepe, Animal and many of the male characters come off a tad chuvenistic toward females.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Heh, well, Link is also on my short list, LOL. I forgot what her name was, but when Link was supposed to dance with some chick in a club setting, Link looks like you just asked him to try a new pork recipe. He never seemed more uncomfortable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, in term of the whole Bert and Ernie thing, I agree with frogboy4: they reflect the audience watching them. I see them as gay couple and others agree. Then more other people see them as just friends. Either way is fine. I think it only gets problematic when people say that Sesame Workshop is pushing them a certain way. Like, anti gay rights people say Bert and Ernie are "forcing" gay tolerance on their kids.
Mentioned that pages ago... but that's why it annoys me. The whole Pseudo-Christian belief that everything that's popular is brainwashing kids... Harry Potter, Spongebob, even Pokemon (which they had to stretch the heck out and reach to warp something to their demonic logic). It's all about control, and fear is used to control. I don't want to get any deeper than that, but I could just rant about how evil these people are, and how they're more closely related to the other guy, not Jesus.

VMX’s alternative world go-go boy Scooter was entertaining, but it was also balanced with his real world lampshaded flirtations with chorus girls backstage after too much eggnog. There was a harder edge to VMX that some fans didn’t like, but I was fine with. Nonetheless, Scooter wasn’t the gay stereotype of that film. Howard was.

Scooter always seemed to be the most excited Muppet when guests like Diana Ross or Elton John appeared on the program. Both entertainers have always enjoyed particularly sizable gay followings.

I don’t necessarily think they need to go gay with Scooter. It would cloud his already solid personality of being a young, energetic people pleaser with hidden aspirations and sneaky ways of getting what he wants.

I'm okay with Bert & Ernie staying exactly as they are now. It does seem that the characters are now more visually distant in projects and promotional materials than when I was a kid. I wonder if that's intentional?
Honestly, I still say Bunsen and Beaker... or at LEAST Bunsen has to be, after watching the end of LTS. Seems they both REALLY enjoyed dancing with each other.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I think Beaker goes along with it as a friend, but I think Bunsen really does "like him" like him. :big_grin: After all, if Beaker was as in love with Bunsen as vice versa, why didn't the dream machine thingie make a studly Bunsen for Beaker or something? No, Beaker wished for a chick -- and chose the chick over Bunsen up until the end.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... that's why I said At least Bunsen. He definitely has the twitchy quiet stereotype going.

Meanwhile, Dr. Van Neuter likes the BIG muscular ugly girls... after all, he's married to Composta Heap.

beaker

Reaction score
Honestly, I still say Bunsen and Beaker... or at LEAST Bunsen has to be, after watching the end of LTS. Seems they both REALLY enjoyed dancing with each other.
Haha, I think theyre just good friends. Did you not see how entranced Beaker was by that model girl? Beaker is as straight as it gets.

Someone mentioned Link, his schtick is that hes always obsessed with himself but if I recall...wasnt his schtick also that women were after him? I forget if he actually didnt go after them. I just recall so many things Scooter would say or do, that made you go "hmmm"

As for evangelicals, you may be talking about just the vocal minority you see on tv. Ive no problem with any religion. What I dont like are politicians who claim to be of a faith, and then act completely contrary to the tenets of said faith. These also tend to be the same politicians who tried to shut down PBS:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:eek: Well, there is the old Beaker vs the new Beaker. :eek:

analeisa

Reaction score
Which isn't saying a whole lot. Aunts and uncles can be very young. :stick_out_tongue:
Yeah, true. Ah well. Just further proves that everything is up to interpretation.

Heh, pretty much anytime there was a big broadway star or beefcake, Scooter was practically swooning.
Hee, yeah. I guess that's what I was getting at: there are male Muppets like Pepe and Rizzo who flirt with ladies all the time. Then Muppets like Fozzie don't do that but still swoon when lovely ladies are the guest stars. Scooter doesn't do either. He does, however, get excited when stars with gay followings are around.

Haha, I think theyre just good friends. Did you not see how entranced Beaker was by that model girl? Beaker is as straight as it gets.
Agreed again. Beaker likes the ladies. I can see Bunsen -> Beaker but the only time I've found it noticeable is Letters To Santa.