Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always see Ernie and Bert as "ageless" characters, not to the extent that they never age (which none of the Muppets do), but rather, they just have no calendar ages, period.

Some characters its easier to look at in that perspective, others not so much, but I feel Ernie and Bert fall into the category that it's easy to see them as not having any age at all.

As for the whole pesky little brother / uptight older brother type of relationship, there are some who feel that there initially they were trying to establish a bit of a father/son relationship, with Ernie being the son, and Bert as the surrogate father-figure.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'm sorry... but who actually made that assumption? That show was made in an era that if you hinted that a happily married couple lived together, you'd be thrown in front of HUAC for corrupting young minds with thoughts of monogamy. You could easily make the same ill informed decision from all the other shows of the era, especially Dick VanDyke, where Laura and Rob couldn't sleep in the same bed either. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't sleep in separate apartments in cages, that's how conservative minded they were back then. The idea of Lucy even being pregnant was controversial and ground breaking. Apparently, you can show a married couple with lots and lots of kids, as long as the kids poomed out of thin air into existence or something.
No one made the assumption, I made the argument to contrast how silly the whole thing is.

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
I always see Ernie and Bert as "ageless" characters, not to the extent that they never age (which none of the Muppets do), but rather, they just have no calendar ages, period.

Some characters its easier to look at in that perspective, others not so much, but I feel Ernie and Bert fall into the category that it's easy to see them as not having any age at all.
Like with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I remember reading somewhere that different age groups of children were asked how old they thought Mickey and Minnie were and said children assumed the they were their age, like five year olds thought M&M were five.

for the whole pesky little brother / uptight older brother type of relationship, there are some who feel that there initially they were trying to establish a bit of a father/son relationship, with Ernie being the son, and Bert as the surrogate father-figure.
I can also see a slight father/son relationship between the two , but for me they seem more like brothers, but I guess I see them as that because for years I thought they were brothers!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
You know, if people griped about Bugs in drag, did anyone gripe that Elmer always thought Bugs was attractive? When Daffy is included in the gag, he goes off on Elmer because only an idiot would fall for it. *Note: Adding Daffy to a Bugs gig is almost bound to increase the laughter.*

beaker

Reaction score
Sesame Street Workshop HAS in fact capitalized on the idea of "Ernie and Bert are gay" through official merchandise.
Proof:
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/TShirts/Sesame-Street-Bert-And-Ernie-Rainbow-Tee-263784.jsp

Yes folks, that is an official, SW approved shirt and it was sold with a bunch of other gay friendly merchandise at Hot Topic last year.

Me personally, I don't think there's any implied sexual chemistry between any of the puppets that are supposed to be non adults so therefore to me Bert and Ernie are not gay. However, I think its perfectly fine if people adapt them as gay icons. In Sesame Street, only the "adult" puppets like Count, Grundgetta, Oscar, Elmo's parents, Bear's parents and Rosita's parents are portrayed as being non asexual. Whereas the Muppets are portrayed as hyper sexual, such as the constant womanizing by Pepe, Animal, and many of the male characters:smile:

It's Twenty Ten, so it still puzzles me how anyone can be against gay rights or have objection to two people of the same sex falling in love. And I know this will shock some, but there's been a few gay Muppet characters. I'll leave it to people's imagination as to which ones.
But bottom line, the Muppets have and always will be gay friendly. It's a musical show about color and celebration for goodness sakes! :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
@DW Mckim: How did I miss that post! That made me almost tear up; as you perfectly summed up the real message going on. Most guys in America are so on edge, they would never cry in front of their friends...or even alone. Or give a firm hug, and talk about feelings. That's the problem with Western culture, that attitudes toward gays are changing; this acute fear of *seeming* homosexual is pretty high.

But DW, that was an amazing amazing post. Heck, that's probably the best written study on something Muppet related I've read in years. If you have any other deeper thought written articles like that, I'd seriously love to read them.

Also, you made a good point: Why do so many people define gay
as purely acts of intimacy? Too many people, when they think gay, their mind automatically runs to thinking of intimacy. However, as you point out, a straight person is not purely defined in their identity by what they do in the bedroom.

@Dr Tooth: I think cartoons have an easier way with portraying
gay characters, usually in a cliche cartoonish way. From Snaggletooth and Smithers to Roger the Alien.

Thankfully tv has been portraying gay people and couples in a more realistic light these days.

Also, I think they should hint at Scooter being gay in future
movies/specials. For people who'd say "that doesnt seem Muppet like", take note that many of the male Muppets crassly are portrayed as womanizers, yet that is seen as playful.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sesame Street Workshop HAS in fact capitalized on the idea of "Ernie and Bert are gay" through official merchandise.
Proof:
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/TShirts/Sesame-Street-Bert-And-Ernie-Rainbow-Tee-263784.jsp

Yes folks, that is an official, SW approved shirt and it was sold with a bunch of other gay friendly merchandise at Hot Topic last year.
I've seen a lot of those cheeky official types of shirts in the trendy shops of the Castro (the well-known gay section of San Francisco) for years. They're harmless and don't define the characters, but definitely cater to the gay market that sees the implied message in them. This one has both the rainbow (a gay icon used for the flag) and the "You Complete Me" romantic line from Jerry McGuire. That implies a tie deeper than friendship. Do I think the characters are gay? I stand by my statement before. Ernie and Bert reflect the audience watching them. They are many things to different people. They're a gay couple to me, but they are best friends to others and that's just as legit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
@Dr Tooth: I think cartoons have an easier way with portraying
gay characters, usually in a cliche cartoonish way. From Snaggletooth and Smithers to Roger the Alien.
I never count Snagglepuss as anything as a Bert Lahr knockoff. It all depends on if Lahr was, or just wildly effeminate.

Of course, other countries don't have the same hang ups they have here... I'm sure everyone's well aware of the problems they had with the "Cousins" on Sailor Moon. But then, those are stereotypes as well. I mean, it works well in cartoons, but when it comes to live action TV shows, I can't say I'm a huge fan... unless they do a good job and don't make them all Jar Jar like. But it is just easier to portray things in that way. It's why that Brokeback thing was so controversial. They were MANLY, and not prancing around like everyone expects.

beaker

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of those cheeky official types of shirts in the trendy shops of the Castro (the well-known gay section of San Francisco) for years. They're harmless and don't define the characters, but definitely cater to the gay market that sees the implied message in them. This one has both the rainbow (a gay icon used for the flag) and the "You Complete Me" romantic line from Jerry McGuire. That implies a tie deeper than friendship. Do I think the characters are gay? I stand by my statement before. Ernie and Bert reflect the audience watching them. They are many things to different people. They're a gay couple to me, but they are best friends to others and that's just as legit.
Ha, yeah I noticed the back. I saw that at Hot Topic and couldn't help but smile. I think it's good SW is appealing to all markets, even the emo mall youth as seen recently at Spencers.
Heck they rushed out a take on SNL's "Im on a Boat" viral video with a shirt.

You know, someone brought up an interesting question...what age ARE Bert and Ernie? I had assumed they were adolescents...if Abby, Elmo, Telly, Bear, Rosita, etc are children...and the Count, Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones, etc are adults...I assumed they were in between.

Because, if they are kids or teens, what are they doing living together? Are they orphaned with no guardian?

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
You know, someone brought up an interesting question...what age ARE Bert and Ernie? I had assumed they were adolescents...if Abby, Elmo, Telly, Bear, Rosita, etc are children...and the Count, Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones, etc are adults...I assumed they were in between.

Because, if they are kids or teens, what are they doing living together? Are they orphaned with no guardian?
That was me I believe. Maybe they're being financially supported by distant relatives?