Bert and Ernie, Cousins?

Mario

Reaction score
I was raised on the idea that they were cousins. But, no I am questioning if there is any truth behind this. I will probably always think of them that way, because my mom has always told me that. I just want to know if anyone else has ever heard that. And, how old are they? Are they kids or adults?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, they're not cousins. They're just best friends/roommates. Kind of like Rocky and Bullwinkle, Ren and Stimpy, they're just friends who live together. They're ages have never been revealed. I believe they're kids...in "Doctor Ernie", Ernie's talking about how he has to finished 8 years of grade school, four years of high school, etc, etc.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, the ages were never truly revealed. I never really thought of them as being kids. Not like Big Bird, Elmo, Prairie or Cookie. If they are kids, they are pretty darn intellegent. If they are kids, then I would say they fit more into the teen range. I dunno...its hard to tell. Its funny cuz neither of them have jobs and they live by themselves with no parents.

Mario

Reaction score
Yeah, their ages are funny. I'd put bert as an adult maybe 20's just because he has that unibrow and a deep voice. Ernie on the other hand he could be in his 30s like Joey from Friends, but I wouldnt put him there. Its wierd because when I think about his age then I don't know it. But, when I don't think about it, I just have a very clear sense of how old they are. Its kind of like, did anyone read Through the Looking Glass? When Alice can't look directly at the toy shelves but only at the shelves surrounding the shelf she wants to look at. If I try to put my finger on it, I get all screwy. But if I just let my feelings control, I have a very good sense of their ages.

BEAR

Reaction score
Mario said:
Yeah, their ages are funny. I'd put bert as an adult maybe 20's just because he has that unibrow and a deep voice. Ernie on the other hand he could be in his 30s like Joey from Friends, but I wouldnt put him there. Its wierd because when I think about his age then I don't know it. But, when I don't think about it, I just have a very clear sense of how old they are. Its kind of like, did anyone read Through the Looking Glass? When Alice can't look directly at the toy shelves but only at the shelves surrounding the shelf she wants to look at. If I try to put my finger on it, I get all screwy. But if I just let my feelings control, I have a very good sense of their ages.
I dunno. I never really think about how old they are. To me, they are ageless and timeless. They don't need an age. They aren't children though. Prairie Dawn is supposed to be 7 years old. So if B and E are supposed to be kids at all (which I don't believe so) then they are probably a little older than her, since she is basically the oldest and apparantly most mature out of all the kids on Sesame Street.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I really don't think it's possible that they're kids because they share an apartment together and I've seen them drive a car. They are probably adults but that doesn't really explain the "grade school" statement. I'm guessing that was just a mistake by the writers. I've also seen books that show Bert and Ernie in school with the other Muppets, but those books probably lack in continuity with the actual series. I'm going with the fact that they're adults.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I really don't think it's possible that they're kids because they share an apartment together and I've seen them drive a car. They are probably adults but that doesn't really explain the "grade school" statement. I'm guessing that was just a mistake by the writers. I've also seen books that show Bert and Ernie in school with the other Muppets, but those books probably lack in continuity with the actual series. I'm going with the fact that they're adults.
Yeah, I never go by the books for age information, just because it shows Ernie and Bert in school with Big Bird and Oscar and Prairie. It isn't accurate, especially since why would Oscar (an adult character) be in school with Big Bird (a toddler)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What about Grover? He's SUPPOSED to be 4, yet he has all these odd jobs, and gives these lectures about spanish words, and how to be a super hero.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
as Mr. Rogers would say, it's all pretend and can't think of what else to say. but you know what i mean.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
No, they're not cousins. They're just best friends/roommates. Kind of like Rocky and Bullwinkle, Ren and Stimpy, they're just friends who live together.
You're forgetting the obvious pair (whom Bert and Ernie are obviously parodying) - Oscar Madison and Felix Ungar! I mean, Ernie may not be as messy as Oscar but he has his own little quirks. And if Bert isn't a send-up of Felix then I'll eat my hat.

Wait...I don't have a hat...

-Kim