Bert and Ernie, Cousins?

MWoO

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I really don't think it's possible that they're kids because they share an apartment together and I've seen them drive a car. They are probably adults but that doesn't really explain the "grade school" statement. I'm guessing that was just a mistake by the writers. I've also seen books that show Bert and Ernie in school with the other Muppets, but those books probably lack in continuity with the actual series. I'm going with the fact that they're adults.
You are saying a kid driving makes no sense on a show with an 8 foot talking bird, a grouch that lives in a bottomless garbage can with an elephant, and a 4 year old blue monster who bounces from job to job? :confused:

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
What about Grover? He's SUPPOSED to be 4, yet he has all these odd jobs, and gives these lectures about spanish words, and how to be a super hero.
and he still lives with his mommy

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
MWoO said:
You are saying a kid driving makes no sense on a show with an 8 foot talking bird, a grouch that lives in a bottomless garbage can with an elephant, and a 4 year old blue monster who bounces from job to job? :confused:
Good point. I've never really thought about that.

DTF

Reaction score
Their relation is what you grew up with

The original poster is right as to it being what she grew up with. My good friend from church has a niece that lives w/him, his parents, and his brother & their kids. When the older brother was 4-5, I asked him if he realized B&E weren't brothers (as I always thougt they were). His reply: "Of coruse not, they're cousins." Because see, he thought of himself as like the fun-loving Ernie & his then early teenage niece as the somewhat geeky Bert who doesn't always like to play around with him.

Well, now tht he's 7 and his younger brother is 4, now he's the big brother who gets bugged by his little brother, and he thinks B&E are brothers b/c he sees himself as kind of like Bert having to put up w/a little who's like Ernie.

I don't t6hink Bert can be that young b/c he has a nephew; while I know of 11-12YO kids with nieces or nephews, they are pretty few and far between. I kind of think of them as college roommates in a way. Which is quite close tot he Odd Couple sort of thing.

I think they don't work b/c they are in college somewhere close by. And like those in many TV shows (though some do a good job of showing homework and such) they never actually study :smile: (Or do they - Bert is often reading. :smile: It would also explain why they have an apartment, why Bart at times would go to visit. I wonder how close New York U. is to them. Or maybe nowadays they can do their coursework online a lot.

Grover may just play all that stuff about having all these jobs. The waiter stuff he used to do especially. My cousins, when we'd visit our grandparents, used to love to play waiter, and they were so cute and funny, at ages 3 through about 7 or 8.

MWoO

Reaction score
Bert and Ernie are children mentally just as Grover is a child mentally. They have no actual ages and really I odn't think anyone was meant to question it that much. They are what they are.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I really don't think it's possible that they're kids because they share an apartment together and I've seen them drive a car. They are probably adults but that doesn't really explain the "grade school" statement. I'm guessing that was just a mistake by the writers. I've also seen books that show Bert and Ernie in school with the other Muppets, but those books probably lack in continuity with the actual series. I'm going with the fact that they're adults.
Also, Grover is always noted as being a child, however, he has been seen working in various jobs. You have to be at least 15 or 16 to get employment, as per my understanding.

Censored

Reaction score
While there may be some muppets whose ages are basically established (such as Elmo clearly being a child and Sherlock Hemlock clearly being an adult), I think that most of the well known muppets are combinations of child and adult and can go in and out of the roles as needed. Although the Sesame Street Unpaved book says that Grover is written to represent the psychological age of a four year old, it's not exactly the same as saying that he IS a 4 year old. Who's to say that he's not an adult with a childlike personality who still lives with his mommy as he tries to find the right occupation? Besides, in the imaginary world of muppets, who knows what the legal age is for a monster to work? Bert certainly takes the role of an adult to Ernie's childlike ways in many skits, but other times, he and Ernie both seem like two kids fighting and sometimes a human adult, such as Maria, is needed to mediate. I think that most of the muppets have the type of size, voice, look, and personality that they can act as adults or children without ever being locked into one clear definition.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
While there may be some muppets whose ages are basically established (such as Elmo clearly being a child and Sherlock Hemlock clearly being an adult), I think that most of the well known muppets are combinations of child and adult and can go in and out of the roles as needed. Although the Sesame Street Unpaved book says that Grover is written to represent the psychological age of a four year old, it's not exactly the same as saying that he IS a 4 year old. Who's to say that he's not an adult with a childlike personality who still lives with his mommy as he tries to find the right occupation? Besides, in the imaginary world of muppets, who knows what the legal age is for a monster to work? Bert certainly takes the role of an adult to Ernie's childlike ways in many skits, but other times, he and Ernie both seem like two kids fighting and sometimes a human adult, such as Maria, is needed to mediate. I think that most of the muppets have the type of size, voice, look, and personality that they can act as adults or children without ever being locked into one clear definition.
Yes, good points.

Obviously, the ones that are clearly children only would be Elmo, Zoe, Big Bird, Baby Natasha, Prairie Dawn, Baby Bear, Betty Lou, Roosevelt Franklin, Alice, Kingston Livingston III, Little Bird, and probably Rosita.

The ones that are clearly adults would be The Count, Hoots, Biff and Sully, Herbert Birdsfoot, Mumford, Kermit, Guy Smiley, Oscar, Benny Rabbit, Sherlock Hemlock, Bruno, Forgetful Jones, Grungetta, Sonny Friendly, Lefty, Fat Blue, Prof. Hastings, Gladys, Don Music, Simon Soundman, Sherry Netherland, Humphrey and Ingrid.

The rest of the main Muppets are just sort of floating in between: Ernie, Bert, Telly, Cookie Monster, Grover, Herry, Two-Headed Monster, Snuffy, Slimey, Davey and Joey Monkey.

Xerus

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yes, good points.

Obviously, the ones that are clearly children only would be Elmo, Zoe, Big Bird, Baby Natasha, Prairie Dawn, Baby Bear, Betty Lou, Roosevelt Franklin, Alice, Kingston Livingston III, Little Bird, and probably Rosita.

The ones that are clearly adults would be The Count, Hoots, Biff and Sully, Herbert Birdsfoot, Mumford, Kermit, Guy Smiley, Oscar, Benny Rabbit, Sherlock Hemlock, Bruno, Forgetful Jones, Grungetta, Sonny Friendly, Lefty, Fat Blue, Prof. Hastings, Gladys, Don Music, Simon Soundman, Sherry Netherland, Humphrey and Ingrid.

The rest of the main Muppets are just sort of floating in between: Ernie, Bert, Telly, Cookie Monster, Grover, Herry, Two-Headed Monster, Snuffy, Slimey, Davey and Joey Monkey.
Actually, I believe Telly is a kid. Just a little older than Elmo and Zoe. For I remember he tried to ride a pogo stick built for teenagers, but it was too big for him. And one time during the hurricane, Telly's was looking out the window and his mom called him over to dinner.

MWoO

Reaction score
The inbetween ones you listed are pretty much the ones who's metal ages are of children, but lead some what adult lives. The THM for example is suppose to have the mind of a 2 year old, yet he wonders around the streets pretty much.

Oh, and telly is suppose to be a kid I think. He might be around Big Birds age.