Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You'd be amazed how many Ducks are harmed each year by people trying to find the tape thereon.

(Duck tape? Duct tape?)

Beauregard

Reaction score
The Phantom of the opera had similar problems...

(Masking tape, wocka wocka!)

Valentine

Reaction score
I just read that whole thing. Pretty...no, I mean, REALLY impressive! Please, Fozzie, don't unsticky this because new people to the forum (like myself) wouldn't be able to see it because of the mass of threads daily posted on MC.

Wow, less then 50 threads in and I already LOVE this place :smile:

If you're reading this thread, Earl...Hi, and thank you VERY much for posting everything that you did! Just one question though...

Do you have any tips or pointers as to how people can get involved and one day work for the Henson Co.? For my dream is to one day work as a Graphic Designer (or at least in the design department) for them. :big_grin:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the compliments.

I'm afraid there are no magic bullets to getting the dream job. Everyone takes a slightly different path.

But the best advice I can give is to be the best Graphic Designer (or whatever) you can be. Get a job where you can meet people. Contacts in the entertainment industry are 95% of getting ahead. If you have the talent, knowing the right people can open the doors for you. Also, when you have the skills, don't be afraid to knock on the doors yourself. You'd be surprised who you can actually get to meet with.

Hope this was at least a tiny bit of help. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been wondering, since you have written for animation, have you ever considered writing for Henson? Maybe some Muppet productions of some sort.

Have you ever wanted to write any animated segments for Sesame Street? Did you ever want to be a writer for Muppet Babies (or, assuming you've heard of these animated Henson series, Little Muppet Monsters, The Animated Fraggle Rock, or Dog City)?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
While I can't speak for WoE himself, MinorMuppetz, I can assure you that usually, the want to write for a particular production or franchise outweighs the ability to get into the necessary loop! :wink: It's just not that easy.

You may be interested to know that WoE has written for a lot of Hanna-Barbera and Warner's cartoons. His credits include being a story editor on Yogi's Treasure Hunt, and a writer on Yo Yogi, Animaniacs, and Baby Looney Tunes. He currently writes for DC's Looney Tunes comics.

But enough of my yapping. If WoE wants to divulge any more, the floor's all his!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, there's another thread about WOE. What happened to it? It has a lot of autobiographical stuff in there.

Hey, WOE, ever go around saying, "WOE is me?" I mean, those have become your initials now! :crazy:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I've been wondering, since you have written for animation, have you ever considered writing for Henson? Maybe some Muppet productions of some sort.

Have you ever wanted to write any animated segments for Sesame Street? Did you ever want to be a writer for Muppet Babies (or, assuming you've heard of these animated Henson series, Little Muppet Monsters, The Animated Fraggle Rock, or Dog City)?
I would love to write for the Muppets. I believe I have the experience and knowledge of the characters to write something that the fans would love.

But, interestingly, your question jogged my memory of something else. Many years ago, myself and a group of young animators from Disney pitched the idea of doing our own animated segments for Sesame Street. Unfortunately, our timing was off and, while they were interested, they weren't taking any pitches just then. We never tried again.

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You should contact them all and try again. Couldn't hurt!

Brinatello

Reaction score
Hi, WOE, or Earl!

First, I wanted to thank you SO much for sharing your Henson experience with everyone here! I love reading such stories as those. :smile: And believe it or not, I read through all 17 pages and have much to say, but I promise I'll try to be brief!

Now, if you can answer two things about TMM, that'd be really awesome! I watched it recently and noticed during the dinner scene with Miss Piggy and Rowlf, Kermit isn't wearing his green collar! It's a lot more noticeable on the up-close shots. Why wasn't he wearing his collar in those scenes? I thought the collar was supposed to be like skin, or permanently attached to his body.

Also, about Big Bird in the film. Carroll Spinney did in fact play him, but in the scene where Kermit and Fozzie encounter him on the road. Now, he told them he was heading out to New York to break into television, yet ends up in Hollywood at the end of the movie for the final scene. Is this considered a plot hole or did he change his mind and head west instead? :stick_out_tongue:

And the mention of "AVENUE Q." I got the opportunity to see that show in Las Vegas last October with my friend, Michele Ivey. We absolutely LOVED it! I laughed so hard, I thought I was going to die in my chair. I honestly didn't feel Jim Henson's Muppets were degraded in any way. Like you said, it's a parody, and it was done so brilliantly. I ended up buying the soundtrack, the program, a tank top with, "More Drinks, More Fun!" and another tank top for my sister with, "Yeah, They're Real." Ivey is good friends with Rick Lyon and I had to email him personally to say how much we enjoyed the show. If I ever get the chance to see it again, I would!

Okay, one more thing, I promise! In one of the pages back, you mentioned you were attending the San Diego Comic Con. You know? I've been going to that since 1994, PLUS have attended Mark's voice actor panel every time he has one! If you're going to the Comic Con this year, I'd like to meet you! Some friends and I are doing a cosplaying ensemble on Saturday. I won't reveal what it is, but we've been working hard at getting these costumes to look good!

Hope that wasn't too boring!