Bad Baby Names

peyjenk

Reaction score
(Historical records show that other people of his time had the name Jesus)
Not just that, but Jesus was a very common name, the Greek(?) equivalent to Joshua. That is why He is specified as Jesus THE Christ in certain parts of the New Testament... to point out that He was not just another Jesus, but the Christ as well.

Really, the fact that Jesus was named Jesus points out that he was a man just as much as he was God... His name was Jesus (a common name) the Christ (a specific, special name).

But anyway....

Wiseman

Reaction score
Okay b4 this turns into a sermon and one of us winds up banned

Yes, Jesus or y'shua was a common name in Bible times. In fact Joshua, Hosea, Isaiah and Y'shua are all diffent ways of spelling the same basic Hebrew name which translates to Jehovah Saves. In Hispanic cultures it is pronounced hay zoos, but that's merely because of the phonetic confines of their language. However, Jesus was the Christ, the Annointed One, which is why while it would not be blasphemy to name a child Jesus, it would be to name him Christ. I am not Hispanic but if I were to name my son Jesus I would be saying to him that he should remember that it is Jehovah who saves. Now let's get this thread back on topic, please!

Maestro

Reaction score
Just joining in, so I have no idea if anyone has said these, but:

Boys:
Cornelius
Barnaby
Prescott
Hewitt
Angus (anything food related is pretty much bad)
Leslie
Edwin (although at least you could go by Ed)

Girls:
Gertrude
Bertha
Edweena/Edwina
Willie (my grandmother's first name)

hollylime

Reaction score
Of course, this is all a matter of opinion, but my boyfriend told me that his friend was naming his daughter "Demery" because he'd never heard it and it sounded cool.

To me it just sounds like the name of an Atlanta university with a D in front of it. But I've never been a big fan of just making up names. You never know what it might mean in another language, plus it has no history. I'm not all about Top 20 most popular names either. I prefer picking names that aren't so popular but that actually have history and meaning behind them.

peyjenk

Reaction score
But I've never been a big fan of just making up names. You never know what it might mean in another language, plus it has no history. I'm not all about Top 20 most popular names either. I prefer picking names that aren't so popular but that actually have history and meaning behind them.
Same here.

I have some good friends who have an-almost-year-old daughter named Jaycee, and some other good friends who ALSO have an-almost-year-old daughter named Kaylee. Those names are too made-up-sounding and cutesy-wutesy for my tastes... I mean, sure, they're sweet now, but can you imagine a forty-year old doctor or lawyer named Jaycee?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
How about Kal-El, Nicolas Cage's son?

Or Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter, Apple?

Teheheman

Reaction score
All I'm gonna say is at least Nicholas Cage didn't name his kid Steel or any variation on the name.

Daniel

Davina

Reaction score
I'd almost be willing to lay odds that Kaylee's parents were fans of Firefly... heh..
though that brings up the topic of relatively obscure or unusual literary (or now days film/tv series) names...
I had a friend named Evenstar back in high school and, having been an avid bookworm since birth, i've read lots of character names over the years that were very lovely sounding and would definately not be on the "well there are seven kids with that name in the class" sort, and do have some sort of meaning to those who love the stories anyway... but, are also on the "well, it's a little bit out there..." list.... and even a few place names that would fit... (and, btw.. the name Angus has a lot more meaning and reference then just to beef... it's scottish, of course, and means "sole or only choice" and in celtic mythos, Angus Og was the god of humor and wisdom.)

(though I've always been of the opinion that if you want to do a weird name, that's fine.. just give them a "serious" name to go with it, so can go by the serious name at board meetings and such.. heh...)

I'm thinking of names like Amalthia, Tholden (i know.. it sounds like a soap opera name..), or unusual spellings of more common names