Article On Disney Animation: Is It Fading?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Eeek! Digital theaters? I like watching good old film much better.

GWGumby

Reaction score
You'd really prefer to watch all the scratches, dust, dirt, pops and cracks than a clean digital projection? Too me the imperfections don't endear me to film, they take me out of the film. Every reel change pulls me out of a film.

Oh well, there are those who like their vinyl record players. I don't really get it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Digital video has considerably less depth and very apparent pixels. Solid blacks also look strange. If you see a film in it's first weeks of release, you can avoid seeing lines and pops. I am a film purist. I find digital film projection good *in its place* but wouldn't want it to take over all of cinema. That would be a shame. It really cuts out much of a film's richness and depth of field. That's why certain directors still choose to shoot in film. The Matrix sequels were. I find that very encouraging. Saying that all film should be digital is just like saying that we should scrap all animatronics and puppetry in favor of digital effects. There's a place for everything. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Oh definately film beats digital projection. It's all about the ambience. Why would I pay $9 to go see giant pixels on a dvd? I could just wait, pay a few bucks more and get the dvd. Film has a certain quality to it that is hear to stay. The way I see it, it isnt the medium, but the atmopshere: ie: good nice theatre, good sound, good seats, and no people talking/cellphones. A lot of factors toward a good time that have nothign to do with the actual film projector itelf.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's true too. Film just captures my attention more. I notice digital projection right away - and not really in a good sense.

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
im with you guys on that...film is so much deeper then digital.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
That's true too. Film just captures my attention more. I notice digital projection right away - and not really in a good sense.
Same here. I'm all about the newest forms of entertainment...flat panels, dvd players, etc. BUT...when it comes to the theatres I want ONLY film...if I wanted digital I'd buy the darn dvd. It is also an issue of piracy, and other concerns Im sure for the industry.

CraigD

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm more of a film purist at this stage also, but I'll give digital a chance. I may change my mind in the future.

As for the Disney discussion, I wanted to put my two cents in. I certainly think Disney has lost little in the feature film department. Like most of us, I'm not interested in the DTV sequels, but generally their features are still first class for both kids and adults.

I agree, Treasure Planet looks incredibly blah, and they may have misfired with that one. But much of their recent work has been thoroughly entertaining. Lilo & Stitch was a riot. Just a good, fun film. Emperor's New Groove was very similar. Mulan was a more dramatic story and very good one at that. Tarzan was excellent. Hercules was light but fun.

Some people criticised Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. Beauty and the Beast in my opinion is the finest animated film ever made. It's a truly beautiful movie. And Aladdin is one of the funniest animated features you'll see. Both had wonderful animation also, but that's usual for Disney.

Dinosaur was a disappointment, no doubt about that. But it wasn't a complete misfire.

Disney are still the leaders in consistent quailty family entertainment. And when I say family, I mean family. Not kiddie entertainment. Their films genuinely appeal to both adults and children.

I just hope they get over the disappointment that was Treasure Planet and hit back with something special.

Craig

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Same here. I'm all about the newest forms of entertainment...flat panels, dvd players, etc. BUT...when it comes to the theatres I want ONLY film...if I wanted digital I'd buy the darn dvd. It is also an issue of piracy, and other concerns Im sure for the industry.
Yeah, but there really is a place for everything - including digital projection. Some films work better with it (the Star Wars ones) but I hope it doesn't eventually take over every film release. Film is just so dense and rich.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Well, back on digital film, I was speaking from someone who has never actually experienced digital projection. I was not aware of pixelation. If the technology is not perfected yet to where I'm seeing a clear picture, then I would probably prefer film. I assumed it was already good enough to make the digital aspect indistinguishable. I seldom notice anything on DVD and assumed it would be similar in a theater. So I guess I need to amend what I said to preferring high-definition crystal clear non-pixelated digital projection (if it exists) to scratched up film.

But the ultimate point is I don't want to remember that I'm sitting in a theater when I'm watching a film except for laughter and audience reaction (note: not audience distraction) I only want to experience the film.