Article On Disney Animation: Is It Fading?

beaker

Reaction score
Man you stay up late yo!

Yeah, Im surprised ya find time for anything, geez...ya need to clone yourself or something.

Yeah, Ive really become fond of flash series. Theres a few out there I really like, tim Burton's original shorts, Queer Duck, etc.
Well, hope ya find some time to work on it!

*me, who has flash 5 but is too lazy to get serious on it*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a client project right now so its late hours until I complete it. Nothing fun.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4

Hanna Barbara-style animation has always sucked. You are very right. However, they do have a wonderful stock of characters. From Huckleberry Hound and Snagglepuss to Scooby Doo and the Flintstones. Great ideas, but terrible animation. That's a great idea for a project - to create better animated movies with these characters.
Well.. the same could be said for Rocky and Bullwinkle... the animation was terrible.. but it's wasn't Jay Ward's fault. Basically, they had little funds, and they used a Meican Animation firm, which they hated.. It was always dark, muddy, and awful, and sometimes the projects were so bad, they had to be redone.

Originally, they were to use a Japanese firm.. unfortunately.. it never existed. they just tried to get the reps of Jay's drunk so they could give them the money to build the studio.

Weird story, huh?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Well.. the same could be said for Rocky and Bullwinkle... the animation was terrible.. but it's wasn't Jay Ward's fault. Basically, they had little funds, and they used a Meican Animation firm, which they hated.. It was always dark, muddy, and awful, and sometimes the projects were so bad, they had to be redone.

Originally, they were to use a Japanese firm.. unfortunately.. it never existed. they just tried to get the reps of Jay's drunk so they could give them the money to build the studio.

Weird story, huh?
Oh Tooth, I aint clownin' on the old classic stuff...when I said the Hanna Barbara style is an abomination, I meant the *NEW* stuff out now which is just pathetic. Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Power Puff, Teamo Supremo, etc. They had an excuse back then, what's their excuse now on these shows?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
EXCUSE?!?!?!?!?!

their excuse is they can't think of anything else!!! i don't even watch cartoons much on saturdays it all crap....(well i watch recess sometimes, clever writing) i actually watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS and it is wayyyyy more entertaining....i was watching kids wb last weekend (only cause my bro was) and it was CRAP CRAP they are a studio known for their cartoons I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT i can't even watch a bugs bunny cartoon on there anymore....they used to have an awesome AWESOME lineup.....around 1998 but now.....i might as well catch my zzzzzzzzzzz's the animation wasn't top notch, i admit, but it was clever writing....i think if you have crappy animation you can still have a decent cartoon if there is clever writing...to a point, of course.....man did any of this make sense?????-Sarah

beaker

Reaction score
Re: EXCUSE?!?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by sarah_yzma
man did any of this make sense?????-Sarah
Perfect sense. And yes, Recess rocks(especially Spinelli! she's one tough cookie!)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i've never been very fond of japanese animation that much, but my friend just loves dragon ball z. i've catched some japanese animation and i never found the animation or the characters in the cartoons very entertaining, in my opinion. however, i've always liked likable characters in cartoons that can bring good stories or make someone want to watch a cartoon like batman the animated series, or animaniacs. good story telling and good characters that make you want to watch the cartoon everyday and keep your attention.

back to the disney portion of this forum, i've always liked good characters and a good story like aladin or lion king or toy story, movies that are likeable for everyone. i still enjoy watching those movies although i'm much to old for them. i still want to see lilo and stitch and monsters inc. i even went to the theater to go see ice age cause it looked good, and i liked it. it was a good movie for not just children, but for older people as well.

ryan

GWGumby

Reaction score
I thought I'd revive this post with a bit from a Jim Hill article posted today. Here's what he said about why "Treasure Planet" flopped:

So why did the rest of the viewing public opt to take a pass on "Treasure Planet"? Again, another interesting wrinkle: according to Disney's own marketing surveys, the number one reason that people said they were opting not to see this movie while it was in theaters was because they were eventually intending to buy "Treasure Planet" when the film came out on video or DVD.
I really find this news to be quite interesting. I've really felt like in the last few years there's been a fundamental shift in the way we watch movies. Part of that is it's becoming more and more apparant that the only reason movies play in a theater these days is to act as an advertisement for the DVD coming out 4-6 months later.

The fact that studios expect to make over 50% of their entire gross in the first two weekends of a theatrical run shows that movies are becoming more and more of an event. But now if you miss the event, there's no worry. You don't wait for the dollar theater, you simply wait for the video release.

Interestingly, Blockbuster has been reporting losses over the last few months because people are preferring to buy movies to renting them. When a rental is 1/3 the price of buying, and with all the extra features taking longer to watch, it's no surprise. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

Anyway, back to Disney and Treasure Planet, apparantly with everyone waiting to buy the film on video, it can't truly be called a bomb yet since films are regularly making more money off the video release than in Theaters these days.

I haven't seen TP myself yet, to really judge whether it deserved it's "flop" status or not. So I'm merely reporting and speculating on what other people are saying. I'm really quite intrigued with this shift to waiting to watch movies at the "home theater" and wondering what type of impact it will ultimately have on movies and the movie-going experience in general. I'm certain movie theaters will never die, but I can see more going out of business as this trend continues.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
You don't wait for the dollar theater, you simply wait for the video release.
Ack! Why'd y ahave to mention dollar theatres? I REALLY miss mine! Though a Best Buy got built over it, and they have the cheapest dvd prices! Virgin, Sam Goody/FYI and Suncoast should be ashamed of themselves! Ripping off the public with $30 dvds. I cant believe people are gullible enough to pay those prices when there i s Best Buy which has insanely low prices.

But yes, the politics of movies are weird. It's all about being 'the number one movie of the weekend box office!' And notice the longevity of movies is like what, 3 weeks?(unless your spidey or frodo)

But Im sorry, NOTHING BEATS the theatrical experience(is long as their isnt idiots with their $%*#$#* cell phones or talking...which i cannot stand) I mean yes, the dvd thing is waaayyyy clearer(especially when you have a big ol flat screen ^_^ )

I mean LOTR 1 and 2 in theatres vs. the home experience?>_<

GWGumby

Reaction score
I just wish digital theaters would get here sooner. I get so tired of watching film scratches and reel change burn marks.