Anything Exciting For Muppets In 2007?

beaker

Reaction score
So folks, are the Muppets in a transitional phase, or on life support to continue linger and wither?

Does anyone know of ANY Muppet or Muppet related things to be excited about in 2008? No news of any muppet projects, films, shows, merchandise, special stuff, events, etc. Dark Crystal 2 isnt due til 2008.
Does anyone even have any industry insider rumblings, rumors or hush hush stuff that may even *hint* as to what we may have to be excited about?

I've been a big fan of Muppet Central and a user of the forums for 8 years now...and toward the end of each year I always wonder "Will next year be the glorious return?" I'm not going to say the franchise has been completely on life support since 1990. The 2001-2003 era was an extremely good year for merchandise, and neat little surprises here and there. But as the 50th anneversary of the Muppets came and went last year, and as Disney continued to keep our beloved franchise in the proverbial broom closet...is there still hope left?

What I see that's happened is that where Jim Henson Company/The Muppets were once this juggernaut of imagination, two things have now happened.
The franchise is very scattered, and on I hate to say it, but life support. There isn't even the "nostalgic factor" being used anymore that kept the Muppets in some sort of spotlight 2001-2003. But at the same time, Muppet workshop and creature builders and alumni have branched off into their own things. I forget who does it now, but the new Muppet builders independent company is pretty cool. The Muppets have spawned a lot of very talented
people who have gone to spread the seeds of puppetry and animatronics...from right here on the forum to seasoned pros.
Avenue Q is a big example of something spawned independently of the JH/SW/MHC LLC world.

As for right now, it seems movie reissues and boxsets are the only thing to look forward to. (The JH Improv thing is cool for the few people who get to see it...THIS should be getting its own show, not just Late Night Buffet)
Is there even any new children's Muppet shows in the works? Animal Jam I think was the last one. I just never remember a year where virtually NOTHING was planned or there was nothing to be excited about.

What the heck is Disney doing? And is Fraggle Rock really going to get a revival? What about Bear in the Big Blue House?

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that Henson was planning on a Fraggle Rock movie, but I'm not sure if they're still going to go through with that, or when. (Nevertheless, it caused me to have dreams of puppeteering for the movie for months afterward.)

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I heard via rumor-mongering that Disney has pushed the Muppets way, way off to the sidelines to concentrate on rebuilding their "core" brands (introducing the Disney Fairies, re-doing Pooh to make him more "extreme," etc). http://jimhillmedia.com has some behind-the-scenes type stuff regarding Disney and their merchandising plans... And nothing regarding the classic Muppets is to be found!

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Pooh? EXTREME?

Excuse me whilst I laugh out loud.

Ugh...can't they at least do something, some little thing, one tiny little thing with the Muppets? Whatever happened to that America's Next Muppet thing?

Think of the CHILDRENS!!!

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Pooh has been around longer, to be fair (hides behind sofa to avoid trouble) :wink:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Giar Fraggle said:
Think of the CHILDRENS!!!
*giggles* *adds Giar Fraggle to buddy list*

Sorry about that. But as for the Diz situation...Ugh...It's Iger I say. I know it's been said before, but the Muppets were Eisner's project, and Iger's in this to break away from Eisner's views and such...And that's what he plans on doing, thus the cancellation of "America's Next Muppet" and the other proposed Mup projects.

And there's my two cents.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Well, they have closed down their on line Muppet store, which isnt a good sign.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Extreme Pooh? EXTREME POOH?!

*insert several laughing Elmo smileys here*

Darn Disney; we all knew The Jim Henson Company selling them to Disney was a bad idea! By the way, what about season 2 of The Muppet Show?

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I have but only one thing to say: Extreme Pooh?!? **** x10.

"Pooh becomes extreme and jumps off cliffs and into freezing cold ravines to save his little friend Piglet from being washed away....or are those hills and puddles?"

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Ugh...just...ugh. Doing very little with the Muppets was better than not doing anything at all.

They had better at least release the rest of the TMS seasons or they will be receiving a heaping helping of my unbridled rage. What fun.